PetSmart Employee Reviews about "animal"

Updated Jan 11, 2021

Found 186 of over 6K reviews

3.4
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of PetSmart and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "animal"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cashier for a Year

Jul 28, 2020 - Cashier in Everett, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing coworkers, everyone really cares about the customers and the pets alike and is willing to step up to care for any animal

Cons

Customers were demanding, often understaffed with lines throughout the store, some managers could be nitpicky and overachieving

1 person found this review helpful

Social Media Community Manager

We are so happy to hear your experience at PetSmart was positive! We think the people that work with us are a huge part of what makes life at PetSmart so awesome. Thank you for sharing!

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good job, bad employer

Sep 6, 2020 - Petcare Specialist in West Chester, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Petsmart is the best place to work in terms of doing something you’re passionate about with animals. It is a rewarding job when seen as an animal care specialist.

Cons

This employer cares only about the retail side of the company. They don’t care if an animal dies. They don’t care if the cages are overcrowded. They will tell you to fix it but will give you no time or help doing so. They will continue to nitpick on how you smile at customers when you really need to be taking care of a sick fish. There isn’t enough time or people-power to properly take care of animals here. Pet care is a fancy word for vet tech, animal expert, retail expert, customer service expert, and merchandise stocker. This is a poorly managed company because the people on top are hoarding the money that could be used to actually pay employees. Employees that are juggling 5 aspects of the job I mentioned above are being paid minimum wage and expected to break their backs. These are adults with bills since the minimum age for petcare is 18 years old. It is impossible to hire good employees if the company doesn’t want to pay them. The animals are the ones that ultimately suffer.

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We'd like to discuss more so we can understand better, as this is not in line with our values. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We are fully committed to our pets and people across the organization and greatly value everyone's contribution. Thank you, again, for bringing this to our attention.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Experience

Nov 10, 2020 - Pet Care Associate in Manahawkin, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Once in awhile there are things that warm your heart like when an animal is received pregnant and you get the experience of raising baby animals. There is a lot to learn and it can be a great experience if you are open to learning.

Cons

There are some people who care more about sales and business than the health and safety of the pets so always make sure you advocate for the animals. The biggest con is that there is a huge disconnect between corporate and the store employees.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We're glad you enjoyed your life at PetSmart. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat through anything mentioned above. Thank you!

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place for biology/animal science students

Jan 8, 2021 - Petcare Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, Hands on animal care experience, diverse workplace, excellent way to work on customer service experience. A decent place of learning for biology/animal science students

Cons

pay, understaffed at times (because of covid), retail duties may get in the way of petcare

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your life at PetSmart with us and for bettering the lives of pets! We appreciate your feedback. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to discuss further. Thanks again!

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Pretty fun job!

Jan 7, 2021 - Student in Harrisburg, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work.

Cons

Doesn't pay a living wage for my area.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

good for part time

Jan 11, 2021 - Pet Care Associate in Latham, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

learn varied retail and animal care skills

Cons

management was not the best

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear you've found life at PetSmart to be fulfilling. Thank you for all you did each day for your fellow associates, pets, and pet parents. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat through anything mentioned above. Thank you!

7. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Don’t Work Here.

Dec 1, 2020 - Pet Care Associate in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Getting to work with animals, building relationships with coworkers, gaining experience in an animal science field, gaining experience working with customers

Cons

Low pay, no room for climbing within the company, poor management, very difficult with scheduling, little to no training, 30 minute lunch breaks, and only on 5+ hour shifts. 15 minute lunch every other day.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry that this was your experience and would like to help. Please feel free to connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so we can learn more. Thank you!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work environment

Nov 19, 2020 - Associate Lead in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Usually leads to promotion and typically they promote from within. Very rewarding for animal lovers.

Cons

Heavy workloads and co-workers can be inconsistent. Your schedule can be inconsistent and you will be used where needed.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

We're happy to hear you enjoy your life at PetSmart! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Toxic Management and Culture

Jan 9, 2021 - Senior Petshotel Associate in Farmingdale, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great way to get animal handling experience and learn to work under pressure.

Cons

Turnover was incredibly high, high level management never had any experience with animals and had poor communication. Turnover even at high level management was insane, leading those left to become overworked and underappreciated. The care of the animals in the PetsHotel suffered immensely from this.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hello, thanks for taking the time to review and share with us! Please know, we take your concerns seriously and would love to connect with you so that we can help. Please reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to talk more with us.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Petsmart

Jan 11, 2021 - Pet Hotel Associate in Clovis, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly, great communication, rewarding for animal lovers

Cons

management is messy, not flexible with schedules

Viewing 1 - 10 of 186 Reviews