PetSmart "animals" Reviews | Glassdoor

PetSmart Employee Reviews about "animals"

Updated Nov 9, 2019

3.1
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
Cons
  • "I do wish we didn't sell enclosures that weren't good for the animals (i(in 400 reviews)

• "You do have to clean up after dogs if owner’s refuse to pick it up or just leaves it(in 242 reviews)

Reviews about "animals"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Nice place to work!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice place for a part time job while in school.

Cons

Sometimes animals can be a bit stinky

Advice to Management

Management was good

PetSmart2019-08-27
  2. "A good job if you want experience with animals"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

great experience handling animals and administering medication helps you get better at customer service decent hours great coworkers

Cons

low pay customers are always before animals

PetSmart2019-11-09
  3. "Awesome place to work!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great management and our team was close knit. Friendly and upbeat working environment. The company gives back to the community through charities and facilitating adoptions. Offers seasonal positions, great for students in between semesters.

Cons

Not many cons. Working with cute animals makes the day go faster.

PetSmart2019-09-30

"Unhappy With PetSmart"

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible scheduling with days and hours

Cons

- Unsafe work environment - Low pay for potentially dangerous work - Consistently understaffed - Services to benefit sales rather than the animals in our care

Advice to Management

Raise the starting wage, we have lots of issues with people being hired and leaving immediately because they feel the pay received for the work we do is abhorrent. With Elevated Doggy Daycamp being rolled out it's very obvious that it is only to entice potential human clients, the dogs I personally work with do not enjoy a majority of the new activities being added. The new activities also are proving to add more... safety hazards to an already difficult job in the prospect of keeping ourselves and the pets in our care safe. We have lost a good number of our long time clients because of the changes going into effect and it saddens me greatly to see that this is the direction the company has decided to go. I have loved this job, I love the animals we care for and have bonded with our clients. But it feels like corporate decisions are sending us backwards instead of propelling us forward like they intend to.

PetSmart2019-10-06
  5. "Avoid this company at all costs if you’re a dog groomer"

I worked at PetSmart

Pros

PTO, health insurance (although way too high of a deductible and biweekly pay to be any good)

Cons

Poor management, bad practices for safety of animals and groomer health hazards; the company does not provide tools for groomers to take care of themselves and pushes them to take and overload and unreasonable amount of dog clients which risks the quality and safety of the dog during grooming and also burns out the groomer.

Advice to Management

Revisit your business practices with the grooming salon and partner with real life industry leads not people who used to groom.

PetSmart2019-10-24
  6. "Great if you love animals"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Animals! Base pay wasn't bad On the job training, no experience required Discounts

Cons

Cleaning up pee/poop, Animals dying, Sometimes early hours, potential illness from animals if you're not careful

PetSmart2019-09-16

"Love of Animals"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Leader

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with animals everyday was great. TH store and the people I worked with were great.

Cons

Working at petsmart you know your job is never safe. A groomer cuts a dog and you could be fired. Petsmart has no real care for there animals. They have no care for there employees, they can replace you with anyone.

Advice to Management

Care for your employees.

PetSmart2019-10-12

"Sugar Coated"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You will get to work with animals.

Cons

The job training is brief, and because it isn't supervised the training is often completed poorly. Entry level hires can be assigned complicated tasks that are often dangerous without experience. Even if you do have experience handling animals, you will not always have the time necessary to do the quality of work that the animals deserve. Neglect will be an unspoken, frequent part of your job. You will also be... expected to maintain the facade of safe, healthy, and well tended animal environments. This is especially true in the busier locations, but even more so, unfortunately, in the PetsHotel where the majority of the work happens behind closed doors. People will trust you with their furry family members, and you will have to heavily sugar coat the truth of what was sold to them.

Advice to Management

Find the time in your payroll to thoroughly train new associates and to have proactive coaching sessions. Don't hire from outside of the company when there are experienced and trainable associates directly under the position. Nurturing the passion of associates that want to work with animals is how to create careers. Turn over rates and incident rates go hand in hand. When an associate is poorly trained and has no... experience it makes the personal pride in their work suffer. Quality of work goes down while accidents go up. In my opinion, it is vital that there be a member of leadership that has hands on experience. It is the only way to thoroughly train new associates to be capable enough to have pride, to make them want accountability of themselves and their peers. Oh, and if that experienced leader leaves the company, you'll already have passionate, experienced workers eagerly awaiting more responsibility for something that they care about. Hiring some know-nothing from outside of the company when there are valid candidates that have already shown their dedication is insulting. Showing someone with ambition that they are at their ceiling is the same thing as showing them the door to leave.

PetSmart2019-09-08
  9. "Management Is A Mess"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Whitehall, PA

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly working with the animals was great, and I got along with most of my workers at the time.

Cons

Management is a complete mess and there is such a high turn-around rate because of it. They will tell you to do something one way and then when you do it they will make you feel dumb. Some management was even putting animals health at risk for no reason other than to save space and/or money like putting two separate groups of hamsters together from different litters.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and respect the animals in your care. The only time management really ever cared while I was there was if PETA was in the area or if the district manager was coming to the store.

PetSmart2019-08-11
  10. "There are many issues in Pet Care that need addressed."

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Okay Discount Working with pets Helping people find the right pet for them

Cons

Management could be better. People treat you like dirt You have no training on the actual animals themselves, just basics. Care Guides are not up to date or contain conflicting information. Over glorified janitor in most cases, cleaning up after everyone else. No ability to say no to selling an animal to a customer No ability to move up

Advice to Management

We are supposed to be specialists, yet not paid as a specialist of any sort. We need better training on how to care for specific animals, their actual proper care and not some guide used to sell items that are unfit for them such as bowls for bettas. We should be able to tell a customer no, especially if an animal's life is at stake.

PetSmart2019-07-25