PetSmart Employee Reviews about "animals"

Updated Jan 20, 2021

3.3
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of PetSmart and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "animals"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Petcare

Jan 19, 2021 - Petcare Associate in Moorestown, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Animals, fish, customers who dobright

Cons

Improper items for animals, to small of habitats

2. 4.0

Good Job if You Have the Passion

Apr 25, 2017 - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

-So many animals!! -Company is doing some pretty good things -Many options within the company--move up or change position -15% discount for employees -Lots of opportunities to learn more about animals

Cons

-Base pay is pretty low for all the sh*t you deal with (literally) -Work environment completely dependent on management and coworkers -Customers can be RUDE. -Have to see a lot of mistreated animals -Company focuses on many different goals and it gets very overwhelming and makes it difficult to be genuine

201 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0

Really hard to watch

Jan 19, 2021 - Petcare Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with the animals. Helping pet parents who actually want to take the best care they can of their new pets.

Cons

Most of the time that there is a sick animal ( which their is a extensive amount of) they do not receive the medical care they need. It seems management would rather them die because it's cheaper then taking them to the vet which I also assume comes down from corporate. All they care about is money not the animals. It's very hard to watch them slowly suffering until they die when alot of them could have gotten better if they only would have gotten taken to a vet. Also the workload is extremely demanding for little pay. We have a skeleton crew and are expected to not only take care of the animals but also help customers which is never ending while also answering the phone and taking out curbside orders the whole shift. Then somehow we are supposed to have time to clean a unending list of things (like the whole fish wall and the decorations) which just continues to grow because it is completely impossible to get any time or more employees to do it.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good job, bad employer

Sep 6, 2020 - Petcare Specialist in West Chester, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Petsmart is the best place to work in terms of doing something you’re passionate about with animals. It is a rewarding job when seen as an animal care specialist.

Cons

This employer cares only about the retail side of the company. They don’t care if an animal dies. They don’t care if the cages are overcrowded. They will tell you to fix it but will give you no time or help doing so. They will continue to nitpick on how you smile at customers when you really need to be taking care of a sick fish. There isn’t enough time or people-power to properly take care of animals here. Pet care is a fancy word for vet tech, animal expert, retail expert, customer service expert, and merchandise stocker. This is a poorly managed company because the people on top are hoarding the money that could be used to actually pay employees. Employees that are juggling 5 aspects of the job I mentioned above are being paid minimum wage and expected to break their backs. These are adults with bills since the minimum age for petcare is 18 years old. It is impossible to hire good employees if the company doesn’t want to pay them. The animals are the ones that ultimately suffer.

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We'd like to discuss more so we can understand better, as this is not in line with our values. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We are fully committed to our pets and people across the organization and greatly value everyone's contribution. Thank you, again, for bringing this to our attention.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Decent Job but Hard to See so Much Pet Loss

Jan 20, 2021 - Pet Care Specialist in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I get to meet new animals every day, and educate customers on a variety of different animals

Cons

The animals we get shipped for sale have been coming in sicker and smaller than they have before. The reptiles we get in are hatchlings and many barely survive a week in the store because they were far too young to be shipped in the first place.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee

Depends what store you're in

Sep 24, 2020 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked in a few different stores, so it greatly varies. My one store was really awesome and I had an amazing group of people I worked with! - Decent Pay - I was personally promoted quickly. - Getting to know regulars and their pets - Flexibility with requesting off - PTO / Benefits for full time - 50% off certain brands

Cons

At the store I left, I decided to leave because of messed up management. The store leader could not retain staff and was extremely passive aggressive. They were afraid to address issues with any staff, and would talk about them behind their back. They also lied about everything, even to the DM. Lower level management was aloof and never really did anything. He would just complain and be done with it. Our store leader went through several people in the management team in a couple years. - The company handled COVID like complete garbage. We lost a lot of staff because of it. - Ridiculous corporate expectations with limited staff. - Animal vendors; animals constantly coming in sick and dying. They need to switch to adoptions only. - Wasteful with cardboard displays, too many signs, taking down the same tags every month to hang up the same sale. - People letting their dogs pee and poop in the store without cleaning it up. - HR is a joke if you have an issue. They forward it to the DM who just tells your store leader anyway. - Hour fluctuations for part timers / low pay

7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Like any other corporation job

Jan 11, 2021 - Dog Bather in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Animals (if you like to work with animals) • Grooming salon, should you attend Academy, gives you the opportunity to earn commission rather than hourly • Gain experience in different departments (cross-trained)

Cons

• Management is vastly different per location; my location just happened to have poor and disrespectful management • Lunch breaks are not paid • Windowless buildings (feels very claustrophobic) • The corporation, at it’s core, cares less about animals getting hurt and more about not getting sued. Any safety regulations in place are specifically put there to keep people from suing (but it’s a corp, so that’s to be expected) • Management will belittle and remind you that you are disposable, should you do anything wrong • Just about as back-breaking as any other minimum wage job • You will be cross-trained at some point and expected to take on more of a workload? but will be given no extra compensation

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your life at PetSmart with us and for the past two years of bettering the lives of pets! We appreciate your feedback. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to discuss further. Thanks again!

8. 4.0

Great Experience

Nov 10, 2020 - Pet Care Associate in Manahawkin, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Once in awhile there are things that warm your heart like when an animal is received pregnant and you get the experience of raising baby animals. There is a lot to learn and it can be a great experience if you are open to learning.

Cons

There are some people who care more about sales and business than the health and safety of the pets so always make sure you advocate for the animals. The biggest con is that there is a huge disconnect between corporate and the store employees.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We're glad you enjoyed your life at PetSmart. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to chat through anything mentioned above. Thank you!

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good workplace, bad management

Jan 2, 2021 - Dog Hotel Associate in The Colony, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good training, fair compensation for work

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to review. Please know that you can connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to speak further on anything mentioned above so that we can help.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cares More about Sales than Animals

Oct 24, 2020 - Store Associate in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The managers who hired me were awesome, not physically stressful job, cool co-workers

Cons

New managers were approved by corporate and are money pushers who don't care about the animals

1 person found this review helpful