PetSmart "dogs" Reviews | Glassdoor

PetSmart Employee Reviews about "dogs"

Updated Nov 28, 2019

3.2
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
Cons
  • "I do wish we didn't sell enclosures that weren't good for the animals (i(in 401 reviews)

• "You do have to clean up after dogs if owner’s refuse to pick it up or just leaves it(in 242 reviews)

Reviews about "dogs"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Greattt"

Current Employee - Bather

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with animals & learning about safety. Also learning on how to groom.

Cons

Pay.. bathers are left to do everything!! Answer phones, book/cancel appointments, check in/out your dogs plus groomers dogs, clean etc...While groomers just groom.

Advice to Management

Ensure balance ..

PetSmart2019-06-07
  2. "Depends on management"

Former Employee - Dog Bather in Salisbury, NC

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, flexible hours. Depending on coworkers, friendly environment. Can be fun and interesting everyday.

Cons

Also depending on store. Horrible management, lazy, unprofessional coworkers. Nasty conversation. Hard to concentrate on doing a good job, because coworkers and manager makes fun of a diligent job. Bad job for those who do not understand dogs, and only “love them” and are injured by misunderstanding. Moved from my Salisbury district which I loved and enjoyed every work day, to Winston Salem district. Where it was... so badly managed it eventually forced me to quit.

Advice to Management

Hire management that will stick to their guns in protocol, but still be kind. Makes a world of difference! Enforce professional atmosphere. Hire salon managers that encourage and keep rules intact

PetSmart2019-11-21
  3. "Pet Training is not a priority."

Former Employee - Pet Training Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teaching group and private classes. Helping dogs of all ages.

Cons

Mangers are moved from store to store frequently. Pet Training is not treated as a priority by some managers. Most managers do not understand canine behavior or what actually happens in a pet training class. Trainers are required to meet sales quotas. Trainers are treated like utilitarian employees and often cannot perform pet training tasks because the stores are intentionally short staffed at the direction of... the corporate office. Trainers are often interrupted while teaching to provide assistance to other customers. Overall, trainers generally do not get the support from management and staff necessary to meet sales goals, and the job can be dangerous because dogs are often placed in group classes by managers and staff members that are not safe to be around other dogs and people.

Advice to Management

Allow your Pet Trainers to do their job. Give Pet Training the same priority that you give to the Grooming Salon.

PetSmart2019-11-29
  4. "It’s okay but...."

Current Employee - Pet Stylist

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Met some amazing people, amazing pets and overall love my job

Cons

Petsmart corporate sucks, they make new policy’s and don’t weather you in, they’ll come after you if you work at another pet store 10 miles from them, they’ll come after you if you leave before your 2 year contract is up even though the reason people are leaving is because petsmart treats their employees like worker ants, they expect you to groom 8 or more dogs but then complain about the incidents you have, they... claim they care about your safety but force you to groom dogs that have been turned away for being aggressive because they would rather please and customer and keep the revenue then protect their employees, one person will try to stick up and stick out their necks for you and then get yelled at by management to the point of tears,

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like their hot people, protect us, take our side when a customers being rude w/o reason, don’t go after people for an absurd amount of money when they’re leaving because you treat them like trash

PetSmart2019-11-17
  5. "Don’t do it"

Current Employee - Leader

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people working there and the seeing the pets brought in by pet parents.

Cons

micromanaged beyond belief. Managers are treated worse than dogs.

PetSmart2019-11-11
  6. "Too much stress for little pay"

Current Employee - Bather/Groomer Trainee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with animals & learning about safety.

Cons

Pay.. getting bitten by stressed out dogs, bathers are left to do everything!! Answer phones, book/cancel appointments, check in/out your dogs plus groomers dogs, clean etc...While groomers just groom.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees to get work done, focus more on the health and well being of animals rather than the primary focus being on making sales. Treat employees like human beings.

PetSmart2019-11-11
  7. "Dog groomer"

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Discounts that is literally all

Cons

All about making money and numbers and aren’t worried about burning out the staff in the process.I would witness employees being rough with dogs and doing nothing about it. Sure as hell doesn’t help with their image.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees.

PetSmart2019-10-28
  8. "Treated me well, but lots of physical labor"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

dogs friendly environment discounts on pet food and toys

Cons

bad dogs bites loud noises Late work hours

PetSmart2019-09-18
  9. "If you have years to be disrespected this is the job for you"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

The Pets of course

Cons

Pay Their way of deciding your worth You are stuck in camp (doggy day care) for a year or more. Claims camp is part of the job but only the new associates are in camp so they don’t learn any of the other duties of the pet care associate therefore making them not trained fully in their job. I have worked in many industries and the way chose their favorites is ridiculous. If we are the same position we should be... sharing the duties. Not having the same people in camp and the same people on the floor. And they still expect you to know how to do floor when THEY HAVEN'T EVEN PROPERLY TRAINED YOU BECAUSE THEY PUT YOU IN CAMP . There is no switching, one person in the morning camp and a different in another. I personally am in camp 7+ hours a day. Don’t get me wrong I love dogs but I have not learned anything else. I have no interest in becoming a senior anymore. They complain of the new employees quitting because they get stuck in camp. I did not apply to this job to be in Camp. I am not learning anything and management does not care. I recently got bit by a dog and they didn’t care one bit.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the new employees like they’re trash and maybe they won’t want to quit.

PetSmart2019-09-29
  10. "Play with dogs all day"

Former Employee - Pet Hotel Senior in Issaquah, WA

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with dogs all day

Cons

Corporate structure has profits above the dogs and pet parents

PetSmart2019-09-09