KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

PetSmart

Engaged Employer

PetSmart

Add a Review

PetSmart Employee Reviews about "dogs"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

3.3
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of PetSmart and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "dogs"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Gotta Love Dogs AND People

Jan 16, 2021 - Pet Training Instructor II in Simi Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get hourly pay plus commission and room for growth.

Cons

You can't train the dogs yourself; you have to be able to communicate well enough to teach people how to train their own dogs.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee

Depends what store you're in

Sep 24, 2020 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked in a few different stores, so it greatly varies. My one store was really awesome and I had an amazing group of people I worked with! - Decent Pay - I was personally promoted quickly. - Getting to know regulars and their pets - Flexibility with requesting off - PTO / Benefits for full time - 50% off certain brands

Cons

At the store I left, I decided to leave because of messed up management. The store leader could not retain staff and was extremely passive aggressive. They were afraid to address issues with any staff, and would talk about them behind their back. They also lied about everything, even to the DM. Lower level management was aloof and never really did anything. He would just complain and be done with it. Our store leader went through several people in the management team in a couple years. - The company handled COVID like complete garbage. We lost a lot of staff because of it. - Ridiculous corporate expectations with limited staff. - Animal vendors; animals constantly coming in sick and dying. They need to switch to adoptions only. - Wasteful with cardboard displays, too many signs, taking down the same tags every month to hang up the same sale. - People letting their dogs pee and poop in the store without cleaning it up. - HR is a joke if you have an issue. They forward it to the DM who just tells your store leader anyway. - Hour fluctuations for part timers / low pay

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Masquerading as a “caring” company

Jul 20, 2020 - Pet Stylist in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The animals is honestly the ONLY thing good about Petsmart. Some pet parents are amazing people, and you get to make some good relationships with pet parents and fellow coworkers. Pay can be good, but honestly you have to work yourself to the bone and then it’s not even really worth it.

Cons

Upper management. They don’t even try to hide how little they care about their employees. Anything at all that requires their assistance is responded with severe critique and negative reinforcement. Funny how we train dogs at Petsmart with positive reinforcement, yet can’t extend that to employees. I could honestly go on for ages about all the cons of working here, but to put it plainly: the company is run by soulless, apathetic, and abusive upper management. You would literally have to devote every waking moment to back breaking work to be able to get even the slightest approval from management. I’ve worked almost every position in the store, so I’ve seen first hand how the environment is nothing but apathy, stress, and degradation. Pretty bad that there aren’t many other places to groom that match Petsmart with pay, stability, and benefits. You just have to sell your soul for it.

2 people found this review helpful

Social Media Community Manager

We're very sorry to hear this was your experience and appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We want to understand more if you wouldn't mind contacting the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We truly appreciate all that you do for pets and the pet parents that come into our salons. Thank you, again.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great way to start a grooming career

Dec 17, 2020 - Bather/Grooming Trainee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are basically paying you to train and become a dog groomer. Once you become a groomer the pay doubles. My coworkers are awesome.

Cons

The pay sucks while you are in training although I do get insurance and 401k match. Picking up heavy dogs is hard on your back, make sure you know how to lift properly.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review and share with us. We're happy to hear you love your life at PetSmart and appreciate all that you do for pets and pet parents that come into the salon!

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Misleading interview and job description

Dec 23, 2020 - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate in Delray Beach, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Caring for Some sweet animals

Cons

If you’re new- prepare to do the grunt work nobody wants to do. You’ll spend 7+ hours in one room on your feet in doggie day camp and when you ask to do something else management makes excuses and if that doesn’t work they’ll tell you you’re “paying your dues” All day mopping pee and poop, yapping dogs, you aren’t allowed to let the dogs play like they would at a dog park. They don’t want them even wrestling or making noises- they encourage you to squirt them with water. The dogs are miserable. The pay is awful. Think of yourself as the janitor for the dogs and that’s all.

6. 4.0

A good company

Dec 2, 2020 - Professional Dog Bather
      Business Outlook

Pros

They’re very picky about who they have work for them. They want good people with great people skills. They’re very understanding about scheduling. They actually care about keeping everyone safe and treating pets well.

Cons

Being a dog bather is not easy. It is NOT a job for people who cannot handle feces, vomit, aggressive dogs, and awful customers.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to review. We'd enjoy getting to speak to you further about a few of the things you mentioned above, as this is not in line with our values. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693.

7. 5.0

So fun

Dec 6, 2020 - Doggy Day Care Attendant in Beaver, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dogs, more dogs, dogs are really cute. Being able to create bonds with the dogs that regularly come in was fun, and their pet-parents are nice too!

Cons

Picking up fecal matter wasn't always fun, but the dogs made it worth it.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hey there, thanks for the review! We appreciate you taking the time to share with us. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 if you want to speak with us further. Thanks again!

8. 4.0

Not for me

Jan 17, 2021 - Dog Groomer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Convenient location near by me to work

Cons

Dogs are not very nice to me

9. 1.0

Rough

Jan 5, 2021 - Pet Grooming Apprentice
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pets. At any other grooming salon I love my job. It was the people I worked with I couldn’t stand.

Cons

Company only cares about how many animals come through the door. Don’t care about quality. In a 5 hour shift I would be scheduled around 6-8 dogs. So obviously I didn’t do my best work. Also they post everyone’s numbers in the back as if it’s a competition to have the most volume of add ins and how quickly you can get pets done. Also management was too emotional. It was like being in a middle school lunch room with how much drama and trash talk went on.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good job for college students

Jan 2, 2021 - Dog Bather in Chino, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours and overall good vibes

Cons

Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at PetSmart with us. We love that you enjoyed your management, coworkers, and work environment! Thank you for all that you do for the love of pets!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 286 Reviews