Cover image for PetSmart

PetSmart

Engaged Employer

PetSmart

Add a Review

PetSmart Employee Reviews about "low pay"

3.3

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your exclusive Company Bowl™ on Community. Join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "coworkers were great and helpful(in 419 reviews)
  • "the people i work with everyday are great and that’s what it’s all about(in 364 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and 401k.(in 304 reviews)
  • "Hours are Flexible for those who are able to communicate with management in a timely fashion.(in 212 reviews)
  • "Flexible Schedule and Fun environment(in 132 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management they also will keep you in the same position even if you want to move up(in 764 reviews)
  • "Low pay and it seems like everyone at district and above are following very old business models.(in 603 reviews)
  • "Some of the managers don't exactly start out warm and friendly to new employees.(in 403 reviews)
  • "No training for the associates and built off of such efficiency you cannot train or even spend time developing them.(in 178 reviews)
  • "Upper management is bad.(in 149 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

Want more options?

This rating reflects the overall rating of PetSmart and is not affected by filters.

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Found 1,191 of over 9K reviews

Updated Nov 29, 2023

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
      Jul 3, 2011
      New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love working with animals Managers are friendly. Flexible scheudling

Cons

Overnight shift expected to get a lot of work done and not a lot of pay for it. Money to pay tons of managers all throughout the company, but hourly workers get overworked and underpaid. Corporate micromanages company to death. Tons of checklists to sign off on. No benefits for part timers, even though Petsmart offers a 'comprehensive and competetive' benefits package and has a 'pro associate' philosophy no one other than hourly managers or leads in the Pet Care dept and Seniors in the store are full time.

1. 2.0
        Nov 29, 2021
        Petcare Specialist
        Former Employee, more than 1 year
        El Cajon, CA
        Business Outlook

Pros

Being around puppies and kittens and being able to hold and pet them.

Cons

You can’t accept tips, every tip you make the lead or manager takes it and pockets it. You have to deal with crazy pet parents constantly calling you names and belittling you. You have to stand in day camps for 8 hours and you aren’t allowed to sit down and if you do the manager walkies you and tells you to get up. The hours suck, your schedule can be as early as 4:30am and you work a full 8 hour day. You’re forced to work all holidays, they work you up to 39 hours a week but won’t put you down as full time because technically full time is 40 hours. The facility is disgusting and reeks of urine and poop smells, there’s always dirty laundry everywhere and often times the dogs have worms. You have to scoop poop and go into kennels to refill waters etc. often times the dogs are covered in feces and don’t get bathed until an hour before their owner comes to pick them up. The cat kennels are even worse! Cats have a small 3 ft tall kennel and aren’t allowed out for their whole stay there. The litter box takes up most of the space and there’s no room for the cats to move around or even sleep comfortably. They are often neglected and nobody hardly goes inti their rooms and when I used to I would be yelled at through the walk-in talkie to leave them alone and get back to work, even if I was just refilling their water or scooping their litter box. There is no outside area so everything is inside and some pets stay at this place for months and never see the sun or breath fresh air. They work you way too hard and hardly pay attention to the care of the actual animals. There’s so much more I could say but that’s just the tip of the ice

2. Join the PetSmart team
        See Our Latest Jobs
          May 30, 2013
          Guest Service Associate
          Current Employee, less than 1 year
          Cerritos, CA
          Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are good people. Flexible with other schedules you may have. Fun work environment.

Cons

Pay is not nearly enough for all the work that you perform and not enough hours are given. Don't seem to like giving long days of work even when it is asked for. Would rather have you work 4 hour days so they don't have to give you a lunch.

1. 2.0
            Dec 15, 2017
            Cashier
            Former Employee, more than 3 years
            Hobart, IN
            Business Outlook

Pros

You have a lot of return customers that you learn to know and love their pets. Getting to interact with the dogs and other animals that come in to shop is the best part of the job!

Cons

The training program is horrible. They teach you nothing but expect everything! The hourly pay is also horrible and they only give a few cents raise every year. If you are looking for a good paycheck keep looking! The worst part about this company is they have no respect or compassion for their employees!

Jun 7, 2023
              Assistant Store Leader
              Current Employee, more than 8 years
              Fairfax, VA
              Business Outlook

Pros

The animals really make a bad day good

Cons

Pay is not as competitive as it should be and customers aren’t always pleasant or easy to deal with

1. 4.0
                Mar 20, 2013
                Bather
                Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers, casual atmosphere, supportive management.

Cons

Being a bather is a very physically and mentally demanding job. The minimum wage pay is far too low and causes this important position to have high turn-over and less than qualified applicants.

May 3, 2023
                  Dog Bather
                  Current Employee, less than 1 year
                  Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with dogs! Discounts were decent.

Cons

Groomers would have you bathe their dogs and then not give you a part of their tips despite you helping them and then making more money than you. Pay was not great and I was getting dragged out to the floor to help if the salon was slow.

1. 5.0
                    Apr 8, 2013
                    Bather
                    Current Employee, more than 1 year
                    Business Outlook

Pros

Training is unsurpassed! It is very thorough, specific and useful. I've learned a lot about myself, being a better employee, and my current profession while working here. Bathers who show potential have the option to become groomers. PetSmart pays to put you through a grooming academy in exchange for signing a two year contract. Excellent opportunity! My current store manager is phenomenal. He has an open-door policy and is very down-to-earth and understanding, but he knows how to gets things done and is helpful. My salon manager has been exceptionally helpful with helping me arrange my schedule so that it fits with my college schedule. Customer service procedures and policies are very natural and comfortable. With new management, environment is welcoming and friendly. Very personal and close-knit group.

Cons

Some policies are tedious. Customer surveys are a major focus. One wrong survey is a big deal. Tensions run high sometimes and atmosphere can be excessively competitive due to the commision based pay for the groomers. Bathers sometimes get taken advantage of by ambitious groomers. Managers are given lots of freedoms. With a good manager this causes no problems. However, I've had experiences here with managers who should have been legitimately fired but were able to get by under the radar.

Mar 5, 2009
                      Stocker
                      Indianapolis, IN
                      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great and we are able to work around pets all day. Many people bring in there dogs. At times it can be a fun environment to work in. The discount is great especially with the amount of things on sale.

Cons

There is a lack of communication between managers, and between management and associates. Each manager seems to have their own idea on how things are to be done. The pay is not all that great and there always seem sto be a shortage of hours. We are told to great every customer, but many get irritated that they are asked 7 or 8 times what an associate 'can help them with today.'

1. 4.0
                        Jun 3, 2019
                        Pet Bather
                        Business Outlook

Pros

People are nice at my shop.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,191 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Popular Careers with PetSmart Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Dt. Sady

Hello dear I need a dietitian job. Please if you know if there is a dietitian vacancy then please let me know.I have 2 years experience

Kasali Monsuru Adebayo

My mind is like make I make it

Laboratory Analyst II

I think was I the just victim of a scam. Guy with very bad English calls me, and after a series of unintelligible exchanges he sets me up with an interview for eleven o’clock on a Thursday, with which looks like a crappy job. No one ever called. Now I’m getting spammed with jobs that have nothing to do with me. I know it’s desperate out there, but please be aware of these scams.

0 Comments

Glassdoor has 9,297 PetSmart reviews submitted anonymously by PetSmart employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if PetSmart is right for you.