PetSmart "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

PetSmart Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 3 Nov 2019

3.2
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
Cons
  • "I do wish we didn't sell enclosures that weren't good for the animals (i(in 401 reviews)

• "You do have to clean up after dogs if owner’s refuse to pick it up or just leaves it(in 242 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews

"Good company with great benefits"

Current Employee - Store Leader in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get an upbeat work environment with animals. You are involved in many areas of services; pet training, grooming salon, hotel and then the merch side.

Cons

A lot of corporate big wigs with different ideas on what store brand standards are. Hard to please so many different executives

Advice to Management

Merchandising inventory leader is a really tough role to keep filled because they are over so much in a store and I don’t think they pay enough

PetSmart2019-09-05

"Good Work Environment. Experience depends on management"

Former Employee - Pet Products Manager in Spokane, WA

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced and joyful work environment

Cons

Some managers can be lazy and overbearing at the same time.

PetSmart2019-10-23

"Great first job, but unsustainable"

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Petsmart was a great introduction to working for me. The pay was competetive, the environment was great, and I loved it for the first year.

Cons

I felt pressured to cover shifts when my coworkers called off, and when I myself needed to call off (be it that I was sick or I had a family emergency) I was pressured by management to come in anyway. One of the managers at my location would say, every time without fail, that I couldn't call off because it was too inconvenient to call another person in. I believe that near the year and a half mark of me working... there, I was the only person being called in to cover shifts. The pay stopped being competetive after the turn of the year (which came about a few months after my store opened, which I had a part in). In total, I naturally earned a paltry 85 cents after 3 whole years of service. I had to ask for a raise twice just to get myself to the $11 mark, while new people were being hired in at $10.50. That felt like a slap in the face. That, and the fact that my hours went from 25 a week to 10 a week. Another rather frustrating point I would like to point out was the clique-like atmosphere of the management. I never felt like I was part of a team, I felt like I was a child being ordered around. Very unwelcoming and hostile work environment. As a final note, this company does not seem to value promoting from within as much as it seemed when I was hired. I was never made aware of any postings within the company, as that was locked inside the office out of my reach, and I was never permitted suitable time to view the postings.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to rethink the way raises are earned, and just how much those raises are. Another piece of advice is to routinely interview your base-level employees in relation to how the management team treats them. It may not seem important when you'reupper management, but the entry-level employees are the most important part of your business, and often the most overlooked.

PetSmart2019-11-03

"Unhappy With PetSmart"

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible scheduling with days and hours

Cons

- Unsafe work environment - Low pay for potentially dangerous work - Consistently understaffed - Services to benefit sales rather than the animals in our care

Advice to Management

Raise the starting wage, we have lots of issues with people being hired and leaving immediately because they feel the pay received for the work we do is abhorrent. With Elevated Doggy Daycamp being rolled out it's very obvious that it is only to entice potential human clients, the dogs I personally work with do not enjoy a majority of the new activities being added. The new activities also are proving to add more... safety hazards to an already difficult job in the prospect of keeping ourselves and the pets in our care safe. We have lost a good number of our long time clients because of the changes going into effect and it saddens me greatly to see that this is the direction the company has decided to go. I have loved this job, I love the animals we care for and have bonded with our clients. But it feels like corporate decisions are sending us backwards instead of propelling us forward like they intend to.

PetSmart2019-10-06
  5. "Used to be better"

Former Employee - Investigator Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fun work environment, opportunities for growth and field switching

Cons

Lack of direction, a lot of meetings to plan for meetings without a lot of action coming out of the meetings

Advice to Management

Start looking to the future instead of working on right now or what's in the past

PetSmart2019-09-16
  6. "Great company"

Former Employee - Pet Care Manager in Dothan, AL

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved working with the people and the pets. The hours were consistent and the expectations were realistic.

Cons

The store temperature is too high for an energetic work environment. Corporate always expecting more with less

Advice to Management

Support your employees it takes a team to make it work

PetSmart2019-07-23
  7. "Don’t Do It"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Waynesboro, VA

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting to work with animals

Cons

Poor pay, poor hours, poor management, terrible work environment

Advice to Management

Stop bullying your employees. Hold everyone accountable. Follow the policies and procedures set up by the company.

PetSmart2019-07-23
  8. "Humble Bather"

Current Employee - Bather/Stylist Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

It depends on your location, but I love the company of my coworkers and its a very positive and supporting work environment for me.

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement, not great for long term employment. Individuals with potential and education are often overlooked. Company hires on a quantity over quality.

Advice to Management

Provide more enrichment and certification options beyond the limited linear options employees currently have

PetSmart2019-06-19
  9. "Only Good Things"

Current Employee - Lead Associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Reasonable pay, good work environment, and puppies erry day

Cons

Corporate doesn’t always allow stores enough hours to complete specialized tasks, but there’s not much to be done about that.

Advice to Management

Nah, you good

PetSmart2019-05-31
  10. "Dont work here"

Former Employee - Pets Hotel Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Play with pets, fun work environment, meet alot of interesting people

Cons

Management is unprofessional, hours aren't guaranteed, open door policy is a joke.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to who you put in charge

PetSmart2019-07-01