PetSmart Employee Reviews about "working with animals"

Updated Jan 16, 2021

3.3
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of PetSmart and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "working with animals"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Overall good job

Dec 1, 2020 - Pet Care Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with animals Educating people on pet purchases Good coworkers

Cons

Lots of cleaning Management is sub-par at times Customers can be rude

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review and share a bit about your life at PetSmart with us. Please feel free to connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so we can chat with you further. Thank you for all that you do for the love of pets that come into the salon!

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Like any other corporation job

Jan 11, 2021 - Dog Bather in Virginia Beach, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Animals (if you like to work with animals) • Grooming salon, should you attend Academy, gives you the opportunity to earn commission rather than hourly • Gain experience in different departments (cross-trained)

Cons

• Management is vastly different per location; my location just happened to have poor and disrespectful management • Lunch breaks are not paid • Windowless buildings (feels very claustrophobic) • The corporation, at it’s core, cares less about animals getting hurt and more about not getting sued. Any safety regulations in place are specifically put there to keep people from suing (but it’s a corp, so that’s to be expected) • Management will belittle and remind you that you are disposable, should you do anything wrong • Just about as back-breaking as any other minimum wage job • You will be cross-trained at some point and expected to take on more of a workload? but will be given no extra compensation

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your life at PetSmart with us and for the past two years of bettering the lives of pets! We appreciate your feedback. Please know, you can always connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to discuss further. Thanks again!

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Corporate is the problem

Jul 13, 2020 - Stocker
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Working with animals is fun; it's nice to see all the dogs and other cool pets in the area I work. -The job itself isn't difficult when you're given the time and resources to do it. -Depending on where you work, the coworkers are excellent and it's easy to have a friendly relationship both with coworkers and management.

Cons

-Absolutely horrible response to COVID-19. Despite being essential, we weren't given any protections except for masks provided out of our own pockets, and masks weren't made mandatory until June 2020 (three months into the pandemic.) And there was no hazard pay, despite close contact with customers, who may or may not wear a mask, depending on where you worked. -Despite being told we were one of the top stores in our district, we've had over fifty hours cut from our store. Despite being one of the senior employees, having been around since the store opened, I've gotten no more than 16 hours in a week since the pandemic hit (averaging on 4 hours each week, a single shift.) This has led to a stressed out environment as we try to get things done but don't have the time or people.

2 people found this review helpful

Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and your commitment to pets and pet parents. As we continue to address the many challenges presented by the COVID-19 outbreak, please know our associates are at the front of mind and we are working through and have introduced several procedures to ensure the safety of our associates, pet parents, and pets that visit our stores during this time. Please feel free to reach out the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to discuss further. Thank you.

4. 2.0

Worst company ever

Dec 19, 2020 - Student in Spokane, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with animals You get some good work experiences working with the booking system to reserve appointments and hands on experience handling dogs.

Cons

I’ve had horrible grooming salon managers. Either they are super lazy or huge bullies. The pay is terrible, considering the hard work you have to do. Company doesn’t care about you. There are hardly any benefits as a part time worker. During covid, nothing was done for the employees. Good for a first job or a job while you go to college. But not something I would do in the long term. Go to another groom in salon, maybe a small owned business

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review and are very sorry to hear this was your experience. We want to connect with you via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so that we can try to help. Thank you so much for everything you did for pets and pet parents that came into the salon.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Enjoyed the work and coworkers

Jan 15, 2021 - Pet Care Associate in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to work with animals and very fast-paced

Cons

Have to be very good at managing multiple things at once

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good Minimum Wage Job

Jan 14, 2021 - Pet Care Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible

Cons

Lots of hard work for very little pay

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Its okay

Dec 11, 2020 - Petcare Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love working with animals and educating people about them.

Cons

Cooperate is more concerned about making money than animal welfare, you just have to know what you are talking about because 1/2 the information they hand out is BS.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Don’t Work Here.

Dec 1, 2020 - Pet Care Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Getting to work with animals, building relationships with coworkers, gaining experience in an animal science field, gaining experience working with customers

Cons

Low pay, no room for climbing within the company, poor management, very difficult with scheduling, little to no training, 30 minute lunch breaks, and only on 5+ hour shifts. 15 minute lunch every other day.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're sorry that this was your experience and would like to help. Please feel free to connect with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so we can learn more. Thank you!

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great for entering the workforce

Dec 22, 2020 - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with animals, nice team members

Cons

Limited room for career growth, inconsistent training experience between stores

10. 3.0

Love animals/poor management

Jan 16, 2021 - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working with animals and customers were mostly all nice

Cons

Managers were horrible. Called in sick and made me feel bad about being sick by saying not only I’m letting my manager down I let the dogs down. I can’t control when I’m sick so that was unprofessional on their part

Viewing 1 - 10 of 454 Reviews