Petco Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • working with animals and people that enjoy their pets if fun (in 210 reviews)

• You get to bring your pets to work (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • They start out at minimum wage and do not increase much from there unless your upper management like a GM or AM (in 101 reviews)

• No support from corporate with customer service issues (in 56 reviews)

"Petco CAL"

Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Miami, FL

Pros

I Love working with animals.

Cons

Beloved CEO Jim Meyers recently retired. It seems that "Animals come first" policy is going with him.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation and recognition, in the form of monetary gain, for loyalty and hard work

2. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room for advancement and get to work with animals.

Cons

Retail hours and lack of qualified people to fill store staff positions

Advice to Management

None

3. "Not the company it once was."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Petco (More than 8 years)

Pros

Used to be very happy here.
    Co-workers. Animals. Most of our customers.

Cons

Poor training.
    New Corp. Mngmt, post company sale.
    Brick and mortar current climate is changing. At least they could pretend to care about those employees that dedicated 10, 15 even 20+ years. Instead I am witnessing long standing store mngrs and regional mngrs being handed their walking papers and NOT via lay offs. Ethics of much of this is questionable. It has become not what you know but "who" you know. I have begun looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

In a changing environment you still need to care about the people on the front lines trying to implement your changes. Without them your business is dead in the water. Training is less than optimal.

"Companion Animal Leader"

Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Greenwood, SC
    Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Greenwood, SC

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with all types of animals, educating the public on proper and optimal care of animals, working with the community on events and education.

Cons

The lack of staff support to achieve all of the necessary maintenance tasks to give the animals what they optimally need was detrimental to the health and well being of the animals and the sanity of the person in this role. It is wearing on the mind, body and spirit.

Advice to Management

Either go bankrupt and stop fighting the battle to stay afloat or invest more into hiring the appropriate amount of people to get the jobs done.

6. "manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many discounts are definite one

Cons

Worse company I have ever, worked for walked out best thing I ever, did. Very unfair accusatory of things did not do. District manager worst did not know how to run a district he says he quit probably was told to leave. No support from higher ups.

Advice to Management

Top management don't believe everything you her and investigate people form groups and bully and gang up on people

7. "Salon Manager and Grooming Mentor 5yrs"

Former Employee - Grooming Salon Manager in Barboursville, WV
    Former Employee - Grooming Salon Manager in Barboursville, WV

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My immediate team and coworkers, learning about animals and meeting wonderful pets and clients. I'd stop writing right there but I need -treats 20 characters to save this.

Cons

I honestly don't know where to begin... this was by far the worst company I have ever worked for. Period. I was well liked and not normally affected by the politics but the things I witnessed were atrocious. Rumor mills were what was the basis for someone having or not having a job, even on corporate levels. It started out great with wonderful promises of advancement, money, training for better skill.... we were fed lies over and over again. We were treated like children who couldn't handle responsibility yet given IMPOSSIBLE to reach goals. We were all So over worked and miserable. I trained groomers from several districts as well as being sent to other grooming salons to "fix" them. Everywhere was the same, employees of all ranks were degraded, frustrated, some went home and cried everyday. The lack of support from corporate is down right laughable. Someone would finally be in a position to do some good and get things done and 6 months later they were always fired for one reason or another. New programs were rolled out on what seemed like a weekly basis without the previous program doing any good. We would be forced into surveys that were supposedly voluntary by threat of our store managers 'getting in trouble' yet none of our surveys ever changed anything. We had an Intranet called PetNet where comments could be posted and the things people said NEVER reflected survey results. We were told as salon managers we would finally qualify for bonuses like the other managers. They gave them out for only 8 months before changing the requirements making it next to impossible to attain said bonus. They piled work on the mentors, forced to train 4 stylists but only paying for up to 2. The way they treated the grooming apprentices was even worse. Many times they would be forced to drive 2.5-3 hrs for a 7 hrs minimum shift (because that's how long they MUST train for a mentor salon to be paid for the training) and then have to drive that same amount of time back home, all to have to turn right back around for N opening shift the next day. Our district leader tried to fight this and reserve hotels but was slapped down by the VPRO's to save money (yet they were paying more in mileage than they would have for a hotel) and they were burning out these people and wondering why they wouldn't continue the training. Our Pay was never correct. We constantly had to prove this to HR before they would correct anything (which rarely happened, and when it did, we would get paid a month later). I watched my General manager get pushed out of her job for being a lesbian, YES this still happens. She was replaced by a man who was paid 20,000$ more for the same exact position in the same exact store. The pay was the only thing that kept me there for so long and then they yanked that out from under their groomers too by making a tiered pay plan than took 200-400$ away each pay check. I could no longer morally stand by and watch these things be reported to no avail. I left and opened my own salon.

Advice to Management

Get some Jesus and moral character and maybe, just maybe, you won't go bankrupt. Stop using people and start investing in them instead. CARE.

8. "Management"

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They stand by their motto that animals come first, the salaries are competitive and the benefits are competitive as well

Cons

Don't react to feedback from stores to field management, not all the right people in upper management, don't make the effort to hold onto the right people

Advice to Management

Keep your thoughts to yourself

"Awful"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Standard of care for animals is excellent

Cons

Worst company culture I have encountered

"Not The Same Company It Used To Be"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good paid vacation plan, good benefits including medical, dental, vision care, life insurance and 401k. Good coworkers that share a love of animals .

Cons

Corporate investors and new upper management in place that do not share petco's original vision. Employees are no longer valued the same way they used to be. Schedules that make it nearly impossible to have any form of work/life balance. High pressure sales tactics that alienate guests.

Advice to Management

I am a 14 year employee with 22 years of pet specialty retail management experience and I am extremely dissapointed and concerned about the direction the company is headed in. The micromanagement of even basic store level actions and decisions that you have entrusted your teams to be capable of handling has caused morale to decrease to the lowest level I have ever seen. Unhappy employees will not help you compete with online retailers and discount chains that are cutting into your share of the market. In fact it will likely lead to lower engagement and in turn dissatisfied guests.

11. "I am UnLeashed!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing place to work especially if you are a fan of pets!

Cons

Employ a streamlined training regimen.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I love that it stays fresh and is always updated and never seems stale or stagnant.