Petco Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • working with animals and people that enjoy their pets if fun (in 205 reviews)

• You get to bring your pets to work (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • They start out at minimum wage and do not increase much from there unless your upper management like a GM or AM (in 101 reviews)

• No support from corporate with customer service issues (in 52 reviews)

1. "I used to love it... but now..."

Current Employee - Store Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's relatively even paced. Working with animals always a plus. You get out of the job why you put into it. If you're team is good, you will succeed. Store culture, as long as well defined, will make your job easier.

Cons

Corporate management has no idea what goes on in the field. They claim to have an idea but unless they're in your store everyday, 40+ hours a week, there's no way at all for them to know.

Advice to Management

Become more aware of the day to day opperations of stores. Don't forget where you started. At some point we've all been a cashier and worked our way up. Reward store leadership and partners more often. Provide more competitive pay and benefits. Staff retention is difficult because of these issues.

2. "General Manager`"

Current Employee - General Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are pleasant, Vendor products are high quality

Cons

severe amount of downtime, almost non-existent support from any upper management, upper level staff changes weekly to monthly, product supply planning and supply chain is terrible

Advice to Management

Upper management has a severe lack of direction, seemingly changing direction month to month. Repeat sales promotions are worn out and there is absolutely no understanding of voices on the ground level; these folks make your money....listen to them! This is your eleventh hour so get to the boards and decide where your company is going because all efforts this far in have been behind all of your competitors and or ill received by your customers.

3. "Computr Programmer"

Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Environment and Solid Salary

Cons

Pets can be annoying at times but they are friendly and fun

Advice to Management

Make sure you do something about people and their animals coming in to the store all weirdly

5. "Great place if you love animals"

Former Intern - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Intern - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Petco as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There are quite a bit of animals to wonder about, new fish seen everyday

Cons

The smell of the store in some places can hinder you nose and can get upsetting very quick

Advice to Management

Be more friendly with animals around customers

"Oh no!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with animals and great customers.

Cons

For starters, the pay is insulting and in Arizona they work you to death because you dont get overtime. This company is by far the most unethical company I have worked for. They do not value their employees and there are so many things that I have witnessed firsthand that are unbelievable. I have seen managers stealing, employees turned down for promotions because of reasons totally unrelated to thier job perfomance, harassment, confidential employee information leaked and so on... I had placed several calls to HR and upper management and nothing was done. My concerns were completely dismissed, so I left the company.

Advice to Management

Do your job!! You are an embarassment to the corporate world. I am ashamed that I ever for you.

7. "Ok place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The people are very friendly and helpful. They really care about pets. They care about the employees and have a great team.

Cons

The hours are bad. They do not care about your home life. They expect you to put the company first.

Advice to Management

Think about he people that work hard everyday that got Petco to the place is is. In other words remember the small people.

8. "Ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Love the customers and their pets, they look happy to come in. Also, coworkers are great. It's fun coming into work knowing you are going to have fun.

Cons

The pay could be better. If upper management would stop cutting hours then maybe the employees would be happier working here.

Advice to Management

How about giving raises where raises are due and giving employees recognition for a job well done. Company morale would go up.

Showing 7 of 1,743 reviews