Petco Reviews | Glassdoor

Ron Coughlin

2,387 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management expects a lot even though you don't have enough staff on the sales floor to engage as they want us too" (in 136 reviews)

• "At least for Store Leaders - there is no home/work life balance" (in 35 reviews)

1. "Great job!"

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping animals, seeing customers' pets, doing adoptions, sending pets to good homes, giving to the community, good policies.

Cons

Retail hours, training is long

2. "Lovely coworkers, awful customer"

I worked at Petco full-time

Pros

Play with animals, nice people, low stress

Cons

the customers are always hit or miss but some will go to extreme lengths to make your day worse.

3. "Guest advisor LOD"

Former Employee - Veterinary Receptionist in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Veterinary Receptionist in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had the great opportunity to work with animals for twelve years. I enjoyed helping customers with their needs. Also I had the chance to work with a wonderful staff.

Cons

I have nothing terrible to say except that in retail things are always changing. And they move management around too often. Other than that it is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

When you move your managers around too often it affects the employees and the overall structure of the store.

Oct 20, 2018 – Petco Experience Team

Thank you for your honest review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and do appreciate your advice and feedback.

4. "Glass is half full or empty?"

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

Get to bring your pets in. Lots of great and smart people work there.

Cons

Poor leadership & directions. No room for job growth.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on the talent that makes this place great!

Oct 20, 2018 – Petco Experience Team

Hi there. Thank you for your honest review, and we're happy to have you as a part of the Petco family! We're sorry to hear you feel there is no opportunity for growth, and recommend speaking with... More

"Hopeful for Petco's Future"

Current Employee - Store Leader
    Current Employee - Store Leader

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Petco about two years, and overall it was the best move I made except for the past year it has been getting worse. The new CEO has made some amazing changes but there is still numerous challenges as with any company, hopefully we will continue to make swift corrections to a few areas that need it now!
    The best part of my job is getting to work with my store team on developing and helping them grow with the company. The health benefits are amazing as compared to my prior employer (even with my prior employer being in the healthcare field). Our PTO plan is generous, but it is difficult to take the time off for Store Leaders. Our new CEO is giving me hope that he will bring in a new perspective.

Cons

-At least for Store Leaders - there is no home/work life balance.
    -Poor planning occurs on our DL's and VPRO's part. We manage hourly staff, not salaried, I can't just spring schedule changes on them at the last minute consistantly and expect to have good partner engagement.
    -Our Pay/Compensation Plan is a joke. I understand that these things take time to readjust and change, but this is something that can not wait! I am loosing more partners because they simply cannot make a living working for us.
    -Merit Reviews- This year It broke my heart to have to tell everyone on my staff except for ONE that I appreciate them and you will not being getting a raise because 1) Your position is not merit eligible, and 2) You had a new title after the cut off date. This happened to me! Simply because I was a Bench Store Leader and my title change to Store Leader happened after the cutoff. I did not get a raise for the title change and did not get a raise for taking over an A volume store. I could live without getting a raise, but when I had to tell a partner I know you have giving 14 years to the company, but you are in a non-merit eligible role. I tried to get this partner just a $0.10 raise and I was told no.
    -We need to start walking the walk, not just talking the talk.
    - This is my firm believe: Guest Satisfaction + Employee Engagement = Sales & Profits. If your employee's are not happy, then your guests are not going to be happy, and we definitely will not make any sales or profits.
    -We are micromanaged to a new level - Give us parameters and give us the freedom to manage our buildings

Advice to Management

I understand with the dynamic changing in retail, that we must make dynamic changes constantly, but I am starting to feel like everyday there is a new priority, or new direction around that priority, along with so many others. I wish that the priorities were expressly specified and then it be consistent from CEO, SVP, VPRO, and DL. It is getting exhausting not know what number I was expected to hit until after I was reprimanded by the DL. I honestly feel like they say one thing, but expect something completely different. If myself as, SL, am unsure how can I get my entire team on-board?
    -Revisit our Compensation and Pay Plans - ASAP - we cannot afford to loose the talent we have acquired over the years (Think about all the hours and money spent in training those partners)
    -Our Training Programs Need Major Renovations, not just grooming but total store. I would even recommend a new Learning Management System that would allow us to have more interactive training that doesn't take forever to load and more reporting available to Store Leaders. Also reducing the number of require modules -this could be as simple as combining some and taking out others.
    -Don't forget where we came from - We still need new systems and process that better help with inventory levels across all channels and remember that not every store is the same.
    -I truly believe that our new CEO can make some drastic changes to our business, and I am planning on waiting around a little longer to see what does change.

Oct 14, 2018 – Petco Experience Team

We are grateful for your employment with us and value your opinion. While we’re happy to hear that you enjoy working with your team and helping them grow, we regret to hear of your other concerns. We... More

6. "Guest Experience Leader"

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

Working with animals and pets, learning about animal needs nutrition. A good work culture in theory.

Cons

Pay is not competitive. Corporate is not connected well to the store level. Too many programs are rolled out quickly without proper testing. The "brand" as it were, is not cohesive across the company.

Oct 16, 2018 – Petco Experience Team

Thank you for your honest review. While we're happy to hear that you enjoy working with animals, we regret to hear of your other concerns. We do our best to adapt to changes in the business, but we... More

7. "Management"

Pros

Get Promotions is fairly easy

Cons

Not enough people per shift

8. "Good community"

Current Employee - Aquatics Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Aquatics Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Able to build report with customers, good community
    - Large range of available species
    - Good range of products to give customers what they need for successful aquarium setups

Cons

- Animal policies are somewhat stale and too strict to allow for customizing on a case to case basis
    - Knowledge about aquariums varies among employees and customers sometimes received incorrect information about how to care for their aquariums, made it difficult to find solutions to their issues when they were told something incorrect

Oct 16, 2018 – Petco Experience Team

We value feedback from all employees and appreciate your concern. Animal care is our top priority and we encourage you to share your thoughts with your management and to the Petco Hotline at... More

9. "Testing to post"

Pros

Hoping this will actually post

Cons

Wouldn't let me post and lost all my writing

Advice to Management

Just ignore this.

10. "Great environment and experience, great way to get acquainted to lots of animals and gain working experience in retail."

Current Employee - Dog Trainer/Sales Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Dog Trainer/Sales Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promotions are easy to get as well as transfers.

Cons

It’s very stressful because a lot of work is generally put on one person and isn’t regulated properly.
    Pay raises is something you almost have to fight for.

Advice to Management

Each partner needs a specific task and job rather than having multiple people doing a range of things, jobs like a Dog trainer / Sales associate makes no sense, simply because you’ll be trying to grow your business as a dog trainer but at the same time your burden with being on the floor with retail. In each store there should be two full dog trainers not a dog trainer and a dog trainer/sales associate.

Oct 11, 2018 – Petco Experience Team

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your advice, and are grateful for your contributions and happy to have you in the Petco family!

Showing 2,387 of 2,417 reviews