Petco Reviews | Glassdoor

Petco CEO Ron Coughlin
Ron Coughlin

2,297 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with animals and the occasional pet owner who does the right thing" (in 262 reviews)

• "Very positive work environment (people bringing their pets to work certainly helps)" (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management expects a lot even though you don't have enough staff on the sales floor to engage as they want us too" (in 134 reviews)

• "There is zero work life balance when salaried" (in 32 reviews)

"Great company! Phenomenal new leader!"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great category, innovation on the rise, amazing new CEO leading the way

Cons

Super competitive competitive landscape for pet category, too reliant on brick and mortar (but that's changing)

2. "Ok job"

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great discount
    Flexible with schedule
    Animals

Cons

Pay not the greatest for all the work you do

3. "5/5"

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

a lot of opportunities to excel and promote

Cons

animals and retail can be a lot of work

4. "Decent Job Overall"

Pros

Lots of room for growth

Cons

Not always given necessary resources to succeed

5. "I have mixed feelings about this job"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist
    Former Employee - Pet Stylist

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interacting with a lot of animals is the best part.
    Working with other people who are passionate about animals is great.
    Paid vacation.
    Relaxed dress code.
    Fairly easy to advance.

Cons

Pay is not very good.
    Stores are sometimes kept understaffed, which can be very stressful at times, especially if someone calls out or is on vacation.
    Schedule is somewhat irregular.
    Corporate is often reluctant to replace or repair necessary equipment.

6. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Petco part-time

Pros

You see a lot of dogs

Cons

It gets boring and repetitive

"Leader"

Current Employee - Leader in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Leader in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to be around animals and help guests with their pets' problems is great and can be very rewarding.

Cons

The company has gone downhill the last few years. There have always been some problems. For instance being expected to assist guests with making the right choices for their pets while being undermined by the choices available on our shelves, and not being allowed to call out those products as being poor or even dangerous. Plenty of poor and dangerous products that Petco refuses to acknowledge as such for purely financial reasons.

The recent changes stem primarily from the recent "guest first" initiatives. It might seem utterly reasonable for a retail chain to put its customers first, but Petco used to put animals first, and the change is very obvious. No longer is it acceptable to refuse an animal sale to an obviously inept and uncaring guest. Refunds for dead animals are 100%, even when the guest clearly ignored our advice and made a conscious decision to kill the animal.

Corporate keeps piling on more work, mostly mindless and time-consuming busywork with zero positive benefit, yet they also continuously reduce payroll despite expecting more. Neither customer service nor animal care is allowed to suffer, but when there is too much to do and not enough time to do it, the only other choice is to slack on the corporate busy work, which is immediately detectable by higher ups. What do you think suffers?

None of us was hired for a sales position. By that I mean a job with actual sales quotas. We are a retail establishment. Currently the company is trying to push its services, forcing sales quotas for dog training on every partner. Dog training is one option that is not right (or needed) for everyone, yet an obscene amount of time is expected to be spent trying to force it down every guest's mouth, despite the company running so many sales that it isn't feasible they are turning a profit versus all the effort spent. Someone at corporate undoubtably has a bonus tied into these sales.

Recent technical "initiatives" have added further work, while clearly reducing our profits and by extension our payroll. The most recent allows guests to shop online and come to the store to pick up their order. Yes, obviously the problems with this abound. Not only are we now tied to barely functional technology to know an order has been placed, but we also get to shop for the customer who is too lazy to shop for themselves. This time waste hurts productivity three times. Wasted hours, lost sales from reduced ability to interact with a guest and help with needs, and most absurdly from a 10% discount the company is inexplicably offering to anyone stupid enough to discover this moronic method of shopping. Word has only begun to get around on this disaster and I've already had a half dozen guests place their orders before immediately heading to the store to shop just so they could get the discount. Insanity.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone at corporate with any sort of "marketing" degree. They have no idea what they're doing and are universally bad for every retail company that hires them. You have no better resource than your partners. Listen to them instead of making them afraid to point out your bad decisions. For store leaders, when you are forced to choose where to cut corners, never choose the animals, and never come down on your partners for not being able to meet unreasonable task deadlines that you yourself couldn't have made either.

8. "Pretty Alright"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Newark, NJ

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Co-workers
    Lots of cute pets
    Friendly customers

Cons

Lots of heavy lifting
    Multitasking galore

"Classic Corporate Retail but with great people and pets"

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Attracts passionate talent, rewarding work with pets, many branches of growth within the company and training opportunities. Offers Medical/dental/vision benefits and generous PTO. Petting dogs and giving them free snacks is not just a daily but an hourly occurrence. Lots of learning opportunities from in house training and vendors.

Cons

Typical corporate oversight with lack of corporate field insight into daily needs (unobtainable budgets, mathematically impossible payroll/task budget and store use budget, pointless conference calls that should have been emails etc). Ethical problems with sourcing of livestock/livestock vendors. Below average pay for management/leaders, especially internal promotions vs outside hires. Also, it's retail so required nights, weekends and holidays plus mandatory "overtime" during holidays/projects etc for salaried management/leaders. Bonus structure is laughable at best.

"Fun company with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

First of all it's just great working for a pet company. Everyone who works there is at minimum a pet liker, while many are pet lovers. We all want Petco to succeed and believe in the company. The support center I work it in San Diego is a beautiful facility and has all the perks I need. I've been at the company for a while and had a ton of great experiences and opportunities.

Cons

Most cons right now are just related to retail in general. Retail is very challenged by the growth of online and those of us who want to survive need to adapt. I think Petco has the right plans in place to survive in the near term and thrive in the long term. It's going to take some work though and there will be some lean times while we work to get there. I would say this is reflected in the compensation. I wouldn't classify it as low but it's certainly not above average. It feels right in the middle.

Showing 2,297 of 2,321 reviews