Petco Reviews | Glassdoor

Petco CEO Ron Coughlin
Ron Coughlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management needs to work on consistency across stores" (in 154 reviews)

• "for leadership the work life balance is non existent" (in 45 reviews)

"Marketing Coordinator"

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

Petco has a great culture. I love the new strategies Petco is implementing with vet services, grooming, nutrition, etc. Pets bring so much happiness into people's lives, it's great to work for a company who invests in overall pet health and care.

Cons

I'm fairly new to the team, so occasionally, it can be difficult to get clarity on who is in charge of what and how to get certain things done, but I feel that comes with working for any large corporation.

Nov 28, 2018 – Petco Experience Team

We're happy to have you on board and thank you for your excellent review!

"Ron is the Real Deal"

Current Employee - Store Leader in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Animals, guests, fun merchandise.New CEO is assembling a great team. Business is finally a focus , reports getting better every week
    Work life balance is not bad. Pay is slightly below average but promises have been made to get better.
    Super positive vibes right now. New vision is daring but exciting.
    Super supportive DL and VPRO make a huge difference compared to some I've had up north

Cons

New focus in service and metrics is great but we are handcuffed by archaic labor model that counts Store Leaders into floor coverage model. Simply said as a leader it's usually you and one partner maybe two making it extremely hard to study metrics, observe, coach, help guests. Most of the time you are running register, stocking, resets,bagging fish, cleaning ,etc. I love it but don't expect Huddle's with leaders when that leaves one cashier to cover floor. Not happening. Also when a store leader takes PTO they still charge the store with half our hours even though we are coverage all the time. This makes the weeks we have off severely understaffed and makes us feel guilty for being off . Change this or let us cash out PTO or roll over like we used to

Advice to Management

Take store Leader off coverage model. Fix PTO issue. DCs sre a nightmare. Address this . Rapid inventory flow is a must to compete in today's world. Out of stocks for multiple weeks on people's dog food that you converted them to is a brand killer.

Jan 16, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

We're happy to hear you're excited about the direction we're moving - we are, too! We want to thank you for your fair and honest review, and let you know we have taken note of your feedback. We will... More

"Love my job, hate the pay"

Current Employee - Store Leader
    Current Employee - Store Leader

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I get to work with animals and an amazing team doing wonderful things to help save animals lives every single day.

Cons

I've always known I was underpaid, but never by how much. Until last week. Our new CEO asked all partners to do a review here, where I learned I make $10k under what I should. As one of his top 20 ranking Store Leaders, this is extremely disheartening to learn and I wish I could undo seeing that.

Advice to Management

Store Leader salaries need improvement, especially in states where minimum wage will soon be $15 an hour. Compensation should be considered for those who deserve it.

Jan 9, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

First off, let us thank you (and congratulate you!) on your impressive tenure! We're so happy to have you as a member of our Petco family! We want you to know we appreciate your review and everything... More

4. "Owned Brands Partner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

New CEO is making great changes with the company culture, we get to bring our animals to work, and most of the employees are skilled at their jobs and kind.

Cons

Process needs help, but I see some improvement happening recently. Benefits aren’t great. There are managers who are holding back their employees from truly succeeding, with drama and politics.

Advice to Management

Send VP of Design to managerial training. This person may have been hired for past job experience, but is truly lacking in kindness and social interaction skills. Instead of condescending, dehumanizing interactions with the VP, it would be most beneficial to have a leader who shows respect, and genuine appreciation for their employees. We all want to come together as a team, but the intimidation factor is always going to be limiting to our overall success, and will be the killer of employee retention.

"Merchandise Manager"

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO currently at 28 Days a year or 5 and a half weeks off.

Cons

Pay is always contentious. Company gets very focused in weird tangents and when good salary management doesn't get on board they are very easily let go. I've seen a lot of good salary managers let go.

"great company, does their best... management ultimately fails"

Current Employee - Companion Animal Leader
    Current Employee - Companion Animal Leader

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits, awesome pto, good company, working with animals

Cons

animals don’t come first anymore, they literally changed their motto. upper management sucks.

Jan 12, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

We're happy to hear you enjoy your workspace and working with animals, but are concerned that you feel we no longer put animals first. Animal care is always a top priority for us, and we encourage... More

7. "Grooming"

Current Employee - Groomer
    Current Employee - Groomer

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with dogs
    Tips
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

Grooming is not a job for everyone

Jan 9, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

We're happy to have you on board! Thank you for your review!

"Corporate"

Current Employee - Corporate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Building:
    The NSC is absolute beautiful, one of the best in San Diego with multiple dog parks, cafe, gym, walking trail, coffee cart and lots of natural lighting. Encouraged to bring pets to work.

Leadership:
    The new senior leadership team is one track and making great changes. I have seen more morale and excitement in the past 6 months than within the past 4 years of being here. It’s an exciting time to hop on the Petco train.

Career:
    You will constantly learn something new. Since we are a retail company, you will have to execute quick changes. I’m putting this in the Pro section because I thrive in this environment, it’s not for everyone, but I like to be kept on my toes. If you are open to learning new skills in a fast pace environment, this is the place for you.

PTO:
    You get your PTO right away, there’s no waiting period which is nice.

Culture:
    There are some amazingly passionate people here. Some of the best talents I’ve seen in corporate. Contrary to what activists and some people say on social media, company culture is definitely about animal well being comes first. If something bad happens, they actually jump on it pretty quick.

There’s also a lot of little communities within Petco. Like a hiking group, Empowering women group, there’s something for everyone.

Cons

Compensation/benefits:
    We’re below average when compared to other companies with similar job titles. That’s the truth. Petco is a great start to your career, but not a long term investment if you’re looking to pay off your student loans or pay off the mortgage. It’s mainly because the cost of living is pretty high in San Diego. We get our PTO right away, but don’t expect to use them throughout the year. Most people have to use them during the holidays, and that’s it. We work most holidays, but for those with family out of state like me, it’s difficult to travel with minimum PTO left after the holiday season.

People:
    Yes, there are amazingly talented people. But not everyone should be working here. I noticed every department has at least one or two toxic thorn, and that can have a domino effect on the rest of the department. Petco needs to step up and do an honest evaluation of its people. During the townhall meeting, there were numerous questions about what the new Chief of HR is going do and how she’s going to make our life better. For goodness sake, she just started a few weeks ago and people aren’t even giving her the time to settle in and evaluate everything yet.

I read a previous review that someone said Petco hires a lot of mediocre talent, and that those talent have no drive. I second that 100%. These are the same people that complain about lack of career development, when they themselves only do the bare minimum. (i bet you these are the same people that leave dirty dishes at the community hubs.) I personally don’t believe you should be rewarded simply for doing YOUR JOB.

When the new CEO came in, there were a lot of changes to the leadership team. There needs to be a change in the middle and the lower levels too. Why build a strong roof when you have a weak foundation? It’s not always the leaderships’ fault. FYI, I hold a lower level position. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been with a company, if you’re not adaptable to the changing environment, it might be time for step out.

Training:
    There’s little tools to train when you’re a new hire. Frankly, it’s not on HR or senior leadership to train you. The responsibility for making these tools should fall on the the management and director’s level. It’s a lot of sink or swim when you’re new, and that’s a pattern I see across most departments.

Advice to Management

Reward the right people base on merits. If I’m not doing my job and making it harder for others, then let me go. The same should apply for everyone.

9. "With all jobs there are good and bad"

I have been working at Petco part-time

Pros

The job is rather easy when you know where things are in the store and you know about the care for animals when you are helping customers.

Cons

Managers keep hiring people that are not team players.
    Managers dont get paid well unless they are store leaders.
    Of course, "the customer is always right", unless they are wrong. Customers come in wanting everything done for them and if it isnt, they call the corporate office and whatever they want still happens. The company should back their employees or at least look into what the circumstances are.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring people that may fit a job type better, they move people up that currently work there or from other stores which could be seen as a good or bad thing.
    An employee that has not done well in other positions yet is moving up the ladder is not very motivating for employees that do well at their jobs.
    Moving people up because the manager worked with them before is not always the answer either.

"Store Leader"

Current Employee - Store Leader in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, only requires 45 hour work weeks, lots of opportunity to advance, great co workers that love pets at a store, not corporate, level.

Cons

High pressure, say one thing but do another, low level of job security, people in upper management come across as desperate and anxious. Stressful. Lack diversity the higher you go up the chain. Cheap. Expect staff to do store repairs and cleaning that is beyond the normal persons ability level. Raises practically non existent. Say they pay for performance thru their bonus program but if you earn a bonus they raise your metrics so high the next year that earning your bonus becomes impossible. Very much a top down organization. Payroll is an issue. You never have enough hours to do everyhing asked of you. Timing of projects is awful.

Advice to Management

Relax. Your sense of urgency comes across as desperate. Pay for store repairs and get decent floor care. Even out your compensation plan. Paying new people significantly more than hardworking existing staff is demoralizing. Quit derailing your leaders with constant conference calls and store visits especially during the holidays. Stop with the trackers, myriad of acronyms, and initiatives. Keep it simple and let your store leaders sell solutions not spend time memorizing the latest acronym. The hours most stores have is an issue and should be fixed.

Nov 20, 2018 – Petco Experience Team

Thank you for your honest review, we are grateful for your employment with us and value your opinion. While we’re happy to hear you enjoy working with your team, we regret to hear of your other... More