Petco Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Petco CEO Brad Weston
Brad Weston

1,795 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • love working with animals, so its not really a "job" to me, maybe thats why some people dont like it (in 215 reviews)

• You get to bring your pets to work (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • They start out at minimum wage and do not increase much from there unless your upper management like a GM or AM (in 104 reviews)

• Slashing payroll when they themselves admit the only way to survive only shopping onslaught is thru great customer service (in 57 reviews)

1. "Not too bad!"

Former Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager in Hampton, VA

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with animals and be part of the community . It's also a good place to gain some retail experience

Cons

As a department manager, hands are tied when it comes to managing. Sometimes, not enough staff to get required task complete

Advice to Management

Allow department managers to manage

2. "Its retail.."

Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for quick advancement.
    Fairly Flexible work schedule depending on the store manager.

Cons

-Dog Trainers should be treated as trainers, not as associates (like groomers), trainers come and go way to quickly than they should.
    -Business Model Needs Adjusted.
    -Tech needs updated as well, registers look and act like they are from they early 2000s

3. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Groomer Apprentice in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Groomer Apprentice in Medford, OR

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with animals, meeting great people.

Cons

Poor Management, No Career Advancement.

Advice to Management

Management needs to communicate better, be nicer to their emloyees.

4. "Great job if you love pets"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dealing with animals everyday was a big plus. If you truly care about animals you make sure they are clean and well taken care of.

Cons

The smell takes a toll on you. Dogs usually relieve themselves on the floor multiple times a day and not every customer cleans up after their pet.

Advice to Management

Delegate more responsibilities to subordinates.

5. "Good title to have in today's workforce"

Current Employee - Vendor Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Vendor Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can bring your pet to work

Cons

No major cons that I have experienced. No workplace is perfect.

6. "great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good co workers
    good managers
    interacting with animals
    room for advancement
    good hours
    get off when you ask for it
    not stressful
    love working with animals, so its not really a "job" to me, maybe thats why some people dont like it. you have to really like and care for the animals.

Cons

weekends but hey that is retail, i knew that from the beginning

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

7. "Best job I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Garland, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not only it's a great place to work with animals, but my Manager is an amazing person who actually cares about us, the pets and the store. Also I get along quite well with my co-workers.

Cons

Schedule is not fixed and sometimes you work the whole weekend. Also I've heard that work is not so great at other PETCO's...

Advice to Management

Honestly, keep up the good work at my PETCO in Garland. Two thumbs up for the Management team!

"Store leader"

Current Employee - Store Leader in South Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in South Seattle, WA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly generous PTO program; vendor partners often offer steep incentive discounts on great brands so partners will try them; somewhat flexible with scheduling if you have external responsibilities but this too is changing for the worse

Cons

Incomprehensible 'career path' that cannot be deviated from, leaving some qualified people stuck in the same dead end positions for years; atrocious health benefits (expensive, very high deductible, covers nothing outside preventive care and checkups); extremely disorganized at a corporate level; outdated POS systems (Windows 2000 era) that frequently cause guest and partner pain points; unsure of what direction they want to go in to remain competitive versus retailers and losing ground by the day while they stumble over figuring it out, yet they STILL have no option for site to store pickup

Advice to Management

You force us (not compulsory my arse!) to endure employee surveys reviewing the company operations and culture but have made precious few changed in the 2 years since we began doing them. Telling us to 'make them understand' doesn't go far when what they are trying to understand is why they received a glowing evaluation but only a 15 cent increase or why Wal-Mart outpaces us in starting wage (this may vary regionally but here it is true).

"Senior Dog Training Instructor Mentor, BUT you only get high wage when you are teaching/mentoring students"

Former Employee - Senior Dog Trainer Instructor Mentor in Vero Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Dog Trainer Instructor Mentor in Vero Beach, FL

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a commissioned job so if you can sell you will go far.
    The training is all POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT, which is wonderful. No force, fear, or intimidation used at all. (For the record, Cesar Milan's techniques are old and out dated)
    The best program I can suggest to take before you go for this job is Karen Pryor Academy for dog training. Then you will mentor under another mentor. I taught for a year and because I was a trainer becoming a mentor was easy peasy.
    It is an easy job if you are dedicated and willing to do your work. The store I started in had basically no training program at all (and they had been teaching dogs for almost a year or more when I signed on)
    I increased sales by over 75% at this store.
    Unless you want to earn a measly hourly late, you need to WORK WORK WORK and SELL SELL SELL. See cons below ;)
    BUT, I was lucky to have a great team of coworkers and management. We kicked butt on freight night and had all of our freight worked by the next day. We LOVED our animals and cared for them like they were our own pets. I wish we had more time to care for them. See notes to management.

Cons

They lure you in with a promised $15 per hour for a senior dog trainer (which means you can mentor and train other novice trainers)
    BUT, they ONLY PAY THAT RATE WHEN YOU ARE TEACHING DOG TRAINERS.
    All the other time you make your base pay per hour (mine was 10.48) BUT, as a dog trainer, you make 20 percent commission on your dog training classes sold.
    After figuring it all out, I made roughly 13.50 an hour, not too shabby.
    BUT YOU HAVE GOT TO SELL
    AND YOU HAVE GOT TO TEACH
    The best rate 15 per hour was only if you are teaching another dog trainer, so my advice is push your managers to get more dog trainers enrolled with you.

Advice to Management

Management...I sold more dog training than all of my managers and none of my coworkers sold any classes.
    SELL FOR YOUR TRAINERS, remember they have to put in time at the register and cannot fill their classes pushing stuff down the sales counter. I'd suggest REMOVING DOG TRAINERS from the registers and putting them on the floor. I sold MORE PRODUCT than anyone on the floor, AND sold ALL OF MY CLASSES because I wanted to make that money. You may as well have tied my hands behind my back by tethering me to a register. I watched helplessly as people left with prong collars and SHOCK COLLARS and I could do nothing to sell me and my classes because I had no time to talk to prospective students. MANAGERS also don't be mad when trainers make more money than you with commission.
    They want dog trainers to sell, but give them no time to sell.
    They want dog trainers to teach classes, but then gripe there is no one to watch the registers.
    They want dog trainers to engage customers when we have all three registers going and an average of thirty seconds of suggesting training while we fight with old slow registers and credit card machines that tick people off by asking for a donation every time. (because I asked verbally every time, there was no need to put in ON the credit card machine.
    AND LAST, but not least, the product showcase at the front at the registers giving customers a spiel for product totally ate up any time I MIGHT have had to sell a dog training class.
    ALSO, stop selling SHOCK COLLARS and PRONG collars.
    THEY ARE CRUEL and totally go against ANY training theorie or practices offered in the store.
    I liked my dog training ring though, I know that was a big expense for the store and I really miss it :(
    AND, if Petco continues to sell animals, please give staff more time to properly disinfect cages. I was given 24 inhabited enclosures to clean and sterilize in two hours. I had to bring my OWN cleaning equipment because the store didn't provide them. 24 cages in TWO HOURS, and it took 20 minutes to prep fresh foods, gather supplies, trash cans/bags etc just to start. So, with the remaining 100 minutes I had to do 24 cages that still had animals inside. This gives just over four minutes per cage. But, it can take four minutes just to remove the animals safely. There is NO WAY to properly let a cage soak in disinfectant for the allotted ten minutes per cage.
    If we were allotted JUST THE TIME TO STERILIZE it would take 4 hours. That doesn't include time to cleanse water bottles, food dishes, hides, etc.
    I killed myself trying to get the bare minimum done in two hours. I think the animals suffered because we weren't allowed to spend more time handling and caring for them properly. Two hours twice a week is not enough. Not by far.

"It's not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Guest Experience Leader in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Experience Leader in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A majority of the people I work with are really the only reason I still work there, which, when you think about it, isn't a great reason

Cons

- unrealistic workload with the payroll provided. They want more (much more) with less. The result is half assed performance and stressed employees
    - upper management perpetuates unfair behaviors such as retaliation nepotism, in addition to setting a very bad example of how to treat your direct reports. Market leaders, district leaders, animal Care and service leaders all have a very condescending tone when they come into the stores. They really don't appreciate the hard work employees put in every day, and instead dwell on every possible negative aspect
    -the pay is terrible, raises are a joke and insult, and opportunities for involvement are all based on who you know or how much Brown nosing you do

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Don't make us use lingo like "partner's" and treat us like slave's, it's patronizing and quite insulting. For the amount of work that even a basic partner does, minimum wage does not compensate, so either pay fairly or stop trying to force feed us propaganda about we believe this and that. No employee is going to be passionate about their job if they don't get adequately compensated for their contribution

Showing 1,795 of 1,811 reviews