Petco Reviews | Glassdoor

Petco CEO Ron Coughlin
Ron Coughlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management needs to work on consistency across stores" (in 154 reviews)

• "for leadership the work life balance is non existent" (in 45 reviews)

1. "Fun"

I have been working at Petco part-time

Pros

Easy going, fun environment.. never bored.

Cons

Hard to get full time positions

Mar 14, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

We're happy to hear you're enjoying your role with the Petco family! We're grateful to have you on board and will surely keep this feedback in mind.

2. "Retail grooming"

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Keeps you busy all day

Cons

Tax my tips, always wanting more

Advice to Management

Try to understand working with animals is not clockwork and sometimes takes extra time.

"Help from the top"

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

The company is headed in the right direction under the new leadership. Helping people find solutions for their pet.

Cons

Human Resources dept. is not good. Please stop threatening our jobs.

Advice to Management

The ideas at the top are great, very great ideas. When it gets down to store level it seems threatening . Sell dog training or else. Improve grooming sales or else. Do this or else. Stop!!!! We are here to make this company great, but it needs to be done by leadership not dictatorship. We want to do a great job for you, but sometimes it is hard when you are always getting torn down. This company has a great future ahead of it, but you can't work worrying if you are going to have a job from one day to the next.

Mar 12, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

We're grateful for your employment with us and we value your opinion. While we're happy to hear that you enjoy finding solutions for pet parents, we regret to hear of your other concerns. We're... More

"Practice what you preach"

Current Employee - Guest Experience Leader in Buena Park, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Experience Leader in Buena Park, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ron seems to be the best thing to happen to petco in a long time. He seems to actually care.
     Animal care at the location I work at is number 1. We strive for excellence. We all work together as a team to complete tasks and we don't focus on "that's not my job". Running a store, helping out guests and their pets is everyones job. We are a family that strives for excellence, pure driven guest experience excellence.

Cons

Not feeling appreciated by the upper management. Never having upper management say anything positive. I have worked with many differnt DL's and this one has been the toughest. I was told I'm not inspiring enough to my team to move back into a store leader position, but its really difficult when the DL isn't inspiring either. There are NO second chances. No pat on the back, no compliments on improvement from previous walks just nit picking on any and every little thing. Practice what you preach.

Advice to Management

It's simple practice what you preach. You drive us to increase partner moral but tear down the leadership team at store level. You push us to push our partners when it comes to services, I was a dog trainer and a groomer for most of my career at petco and I understand how hard it is to get those metrics up. Why don't you talk to partners who have been in those positions to get their point of view and learn how to properly guide and coach them, not just push and push till we lose them all.

Mar 16, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

We appreciate your fair and comprehensive review. We’re all in this together! We're happy to hear that you're excited about the direction the company is going, and moving forward, if you’ve got... More

5. "Exciting time to be with the company!"

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

Petco is transforming the way it interacts with pet parents, with new products and services. Super fun to be part of innovation experience!
    Headquarters environment is hip, relaxed. People are great!

Cons

Our benefits need a facelift.

Mar 14, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

Thank you for your review, we're thrilled to have you embark on this journey with us! Our commitment to the well-being of pets continues to be our number one priority. Thank you for your feedback... More

6. "Not as bad as most retail jobs"

Current Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love animals so taking care of the animals as a job is definitely a perk. Having worked retail before, this job is much better than a clothing store.

Cons

The customers are absolutely terrible sometimes. No way around having animals gets sick and die sometimes.

Advice to Management

I feel that we as a company could be pushing more for good care of small animals, and fish. We are in the right direction for dogs and cats, but seem to be forgetting about the other animals that we carry.

Mar 14, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your review; while we’re happy to hear that you enjoy working with the animals, we regret to hear of your other concerns. We value your feedback and will surely... More

"Pay sucks but I really love my job."

Current Employee - Companion Animal Leader in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Companion Animal Leader in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work with animals. You gain a lot of animal related experience and good customer service skills. Decent benefits, as long as you do your research and pick a good plan. Depending on your area there are opportunities for advancement and growth within the company. Depending on your upper management they're quite flexible with scheduling and willing to work with you. A ton of things to learn, and you never really stop learning.

Cons

A lot of hard work for a tiny paycheck you can barely survive off of.
    Unfair pay. People that just started can make as much as you or more even if you've worked with the company for years. Other people doing the same job make more, even if they've worked at the company for less time or they have less experience. No scheduled, mandatory yearly raises. If the minimum wage in your area goes up and you make more than the new minimum wage they will not bump up your pay to give you a fair wage gap dependent upon your position or experience. Merit raises for great performance are no longer a thing. Because of unfair pay people come and go pretty easily so you're constantly retraining people.

Advice to Management

Pay your people fairly so they don't want to leave. Listen to your people when they voice their concerns and go to bat for them with higher ups. Give your employees a voice that will be heard. I used to he really happy in my job when I felt I was getting paid fairly and treated fairly based on my performance. I no longer feel this way unfortunately. I don't want to find another job because I do really like the direction Petco is trying to take things. Your employees matter and I don't feel like I matter to you. I feel as though Petco thinks I'm replaceable even with everything they've taught me; all of the useful experience and knowledge doesn't seem to make a difference in their eyes and it's just extremely disappointing. There is no point to being a manager if you're only getting paid a dollar more than minimum wage.

8. "Working at petco"

Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Hixson, TN
    Current Employee - Dog Groomer in Hixson, TN

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Petco is fun You stay busy I love my coworkers very fun and I always learn something new everyday benefits Are amazing

Cons

Do not work here if you’re a devout Christian Like I am I require sundays off to attend worship service I told them that when they hired me and they agreed to that upon hiring date. i’m constantly badgered about working on Sundays even it’s on my Application that I attend worship services on Sunday and won’t be available!

Mar 12, 2019 – Petco Experience Team

We're delighted to hear you love working at Petco, and are so happy to have you as a part of our Petco family! Regarding your scheduling, we recommend speaking with your store leader or reaching out... More

"Just okay."

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Royersford, PA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Royersford, PA

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to learn roles
    Kind co-workers

Cons

Unreliable hours
    Poor management
    Low pay

Advice to Management

Be kinder and respectful of employees

10. "I loved the work"

Former Employee - Dog Training Instructor Personnel in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Dog Training Instructor Personnel in San Jose, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of fun with dogs

Cons

Moving heavy bags of food