Petco 1,654 Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

1,654 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • working with animals and people that enjoy their pets if fun (in 202 reviews)

• People bring their pets to work which is cool (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has unrealistic goals And salaries could be better also th (in 89 reviews)

• No support from corporate with customer service issues (in 51 reviews)

1. "Great work environment, corporate is horrible"

Current Employee - Guest Experience Specialist
    Current Employee - Guest Experience Specialist

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is great about playing to your strengths and very willing to work with your schedule. Very relaxed work environment

Cons

There's an obvious disconnect from corporate and their in store employees. They are very unwilling to support management with customer related problems, they are always shifting managers around the district. They often set higher sales expectations but are not willing to supply more hours and increase pay. It's obvious they don't have their in-store employees best interests in mind, especially on the lower levels.

2. "Petco cares"

Current Employee - Small Animal Leader
    Current Employee - Small Animal Leader

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training is excellent. They give you the opportunity to move forward.

Cons

Retail. Hardly ever get weekend days off unless you take PTO

Advice to Management

Need a few more hours given for weekend workers

3. "Private Brand Product Development"

I worked at Petco full-time

Pros

Can bring animals to work

Cons

Toxic and exhausting office environment.

5. "Good"

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, very laid back. Bringing dogs to work is a plus.

Cons

Paying for parking. Parking during the holidays

6. "I am UnLeashed!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing place to work especially if you are a fan of pets!

Cons

Employ a streamlined training regimen.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I love that it stays fresh and is always updated and never seems stale or stagnant.

7. "Loved it"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong Customer Sevice baseline. Helping people with food and treat choices. Getting to know the customers. Great discounts!

Cons

Quick to terminate long term employees on a small concern that could have been an easy coaching and move forward.

Advice to Management

Long term employees should be allowed an exit interview at which to question their termination and give feedback. I used to think very highly of the company until I was put in the hot seat.

8. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Seeing unique breeds of dogs and puppies everyday
    *Working with animals
    *On the job training
    *Flexible scheduling
    *Good supervisors
    *Friendly coworkers

Cons

*General Managers who don't have any knowledge of animals or who are just lazy and barely do any work.

-I'm not sure how or why they are hired or even get to position they're in but the General Managers often do not work and stay in their offices on their phones eating and completely avoiding any kind of actual work (helping with customers, stocking, cashiering and answering phone calls)
    -There have been multiple General managers that use the break room as their personal kitchen/bathroom. It's disgusting and unprofessional and employees should not have to see their General manager brushing their teeth in the breakroom or seeing their dirty plates covered in who knows what in the sink which is used by everyone.

*Outdated technology or chronic unresolved tech problems

-Scanners frequently die out
    -The only information about the customer that can be entered into the system is their e-mail and phone number, all other information such as first and last name, address etc. has to be entered into the system from a paper sign up sheet from an unknown person that takes months to actually be entered into the system
    -Frequent problems with Pals Rewards card: points not being loaded to card, information that customers want updated such as their name or phone number never gets updated, names that customers write down on their sign up sheet often get misspelled by the person who enters it, customer's information doesn't pop up when they enter it (but does when I enter it)
    -Credit card/Debit card machine frequently crashes or has issues reading swiped cards causing the customer to manually enter their credit/debit card information into the system creating trust issues between the customer and cashier
    -internet is slow making it to where an online purchase in the store takes longer than needed and makes the customer impatient and often cancels the purchase altogether

*Frequently understaffed

-Customers often complain that there are not enough people on the floor or they can't find anybody to help them.

*Low pay

There is a lot of work that goes into working at Petco and you don't do just one thing you are doing all of the following: stocking, cashiering, answering phone calls, lifting bags that are around 50 lbs, trash maintence, taking care of animals, fetching crickets, mice and fish and often cleaning up messes that customer's dogs leave behind. The pay is about 1 dollar above the Missouri minimum wage. I'm not saying they should pay $15 an hour but the same pay as Wal-Mart or Target would be nice.

Advice to Management

Do a more thorough process of selecting General managers and actually FIRE those who do not work. Hire more people to work the floor and make the hiring process thorough for associates as well OR give employees the option to do training at home so they can be knowledgeable about the animals they don't much about (I.E. Fish and reptiles) . UPGRADE YOUR SYSTEM AND TECHNOLOGY. I can't stress this enough, if you want more people to sign up for Pals Rewards cards you need to be upgrade to a new system that puts people's information into the computer the same day they sign up and LET THEM ENTER IT THEMSELVES.

9. "Sacked"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Petco (More than a year)

Pros

Customers, animals, and customer animals,

Cons

Management was rude and wouldn't work with you

Advice to Management

Be nicer, listen to employees

10. "Animal Care"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with animals
    Really great coworkers

Cons

I would be the one in charge of cleaning the small animal habitats each week; I would then be rushed because no one else wanted to be on register and I would get in trouble for spending "too much time" cleaning the habitats when I just wanted them to be clean because the uncleanliness is what causes diseases and deaths. Which it's also funny to me that they would have me clean and when I actually was able to do it thoroughly, we got a score of 98% out of 100% on cleanliness. Also they put certain reptiles on sand which can be very detrimental to their health.

Advice to Management

CARE FOR THE ANIMALS BETTER.

11. "Things are changing"

Current Employee - Store Leader in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Orange, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you love animals this is a good place to work. At times the job can be fun. Great place for young people that need part time

Cons

Less room to move up. Constant change and rotation of management.

Showing 1,654 of 1,668 reviews