Petco Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Petco CEO Brad Weston
Brad Weston

Pros
  • love working with animals, so its not really a "job" to me, maybe thats why some people dont like it (in 215 reviews)

• You get to bring your pets to work (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • They start out at minimum wage and do not increase much from there unless your upper management like a GM or AM (in 104 reviews)

• Slashing payroll when they themselves admit the only way to survive only shopping onslaught is thru great customer service (in 57 reviews)

"Store leader"

Current Employee - Store Leader in South Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in South Seattle, WA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly generous PTO program; vendor partners often offer steep incentive discounts on great brands so partners will try them; somewhat flexible with scheduling if you have external responsibilities but this too is changing for the worse

Cons

Incomprehensible 'career path' that cannot be deviated from, leaving some qualified people stuck in the same dead end positions for years; atrocious health benefits (expensive, very high deductible, covers nothing outside preventive care and checkups); extremely disorganized at a corporate level; outdated POS systems (Windows 2000 era) that frequently cause guest and partner pain points; unsure of what direction they want to go in to remain competitive versus retailers and losing ground by the day while they stumble over figuring it out, yet they STILL have no option for site to store pickup

Advice to Management

You force us (not compulsory my arse!) to endure employee surveys reviewing the company operations and culture but have made precious few changed in the 2 years since we began doing them. Telling us to 'make them understand' doesn't go far when what they are trying to understand is why they received a glowing evaluation but only a 15 cent increase or why Wal-Mart outpaces us in starting wage (this may vary regionally but here it is true).

2. "Demanding level of work for confused upper level management"

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dogs in the office are always a pro!

Cons

Horrible middle management. They don't stick up for the little guys running around to make everything happen. If you know senior level is asking for a report that makes no sense and will take hours to create...push back! Stick up for us!

They increased our workload by at least 5x with no pay increase and no 'thank you'. I'd say about 2/3 of the planning team across the company left in anger and frustration during my last 6 months. It was a nightmare.

I moved on to working with startups because they understand 'that's how we've always done it' isn't a real thing anyone should every say.

Advice to Management

Think about what you're asking of the people you depend on the most.

3. "Too much work, not nearly enough pay"

Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to know customers and their pets, educating on nutrition and the well-being of their pets, seeing lots of interesting animals come in, learning new things constantly

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of employees. There are so many things to do throughout the day just for animal maintenance; balancing that with customers and pleasing upper management is almost impossible. Corporate doesn't seem to care about employees and upper management gets away with so much crap. Favoritism is a thing. Things change policy wise and management takes two years to enforce it. Managers change partner statuses with their hours without telling them. Management will take advantage of you if you're a nice person.

Advice to Management

Have more store meetings, no one is on the same page. Keep promises. Discipline when necessary.

"Good environment, bad management"

Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was great to work with animals and spend most of your day talking to people about animals. Helping people find the best products for their pets is very rewarding.

Cons

The management is terrible and extremely constrained by corporate standards/policies. The training, while very in-depth, is also very rigorous and takes several hours. The stores are consistently understaffed, underbudgeted, and it is frustrating to try to help customers on the sales floor when youre stuck on a register and unable to walk away - even if no customers are checking out.

Advice to Management

Allow managers to be more free to spend time on the sales floor so the regular staff can man registers and departments. Managers should be selling and interacting with customers - not hiding in the back stocking shelves all day.

"Guest Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pet industry is a great place to be.. very fun environment

Cons

corporate is very cold and uncaring as many corporate offices are...

Advice to Management

more advocacy for team members...

"Petco is not where the Pets should go."

Former Employee - Groomer Apprentice in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Groomer Apprentice in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees usually really care about the animals. Management however usually has a different outlook.

Cons

management, and animal care is inadequate to be polite. most locations to not dedicate the necessary time or space needed to ensure the small animals in the facility are taken proper care of. They are more than just products.

7. "Feels like a slow sinking ship."

Current Employee - Store Leader in Hot Springs, AR
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Hot Springs, AR

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with animals.
    Most people do share your passion for animals.
    Immediate management is usually good and understand real problems.

Cons

Low wages
    Hard to get a raise you deserve once you're employed
    Outdated equipment (they are working on this)
    New policies that make little to no sense

Advice to Management

I've worked at both Petco and unleashed. What works for one may not work for the other.

8. "Very poorly ran company with impossible expectations"

Former Employee - Store Leader in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Former Employee - Store Leader in Mount Pleasant, SC

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great animal care and customer service when enough hours are given to stores. Community involvement really makes an impact on retail business

Cons

No payroll and overwhelming demands. No support from District Leader with them overseeing 24 or more stores. Most of the needed corporate support is overseas and impossible to understand. They read from a script and listen to nothing you say.

Advice to Management

Look at stores closely for unethical behaviors

9. "IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice new office building and you can bring your dog to work

Cons

the company make money but layoff people every year

"Conflicts"

Former Employee - CAL/MOL in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - CAL/MOL in Mobile, AL

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were many Pros too working for Petco. I loved my job. It was easy to advance, and I gained tons of knowledge within the few years I was there. I got to work around and with animals which was always a joy, My employees were a joy and always thoughtful too the customers, and made coaching and leading them extremely easy.

Cons

There seemed too be more Cons then Pros as the time went on. The main issues I head were within the corporate office and people in charge of the stores. Within two years of my store being open, we went through 4 DM's and multiple RACEL's. I didn't like the inconsistancy that they offered, or how often the policies and procedures changed on us. They didn't supply our stores with the proper hours too maintain 100% in productivity. It was ALWAYS a skeleton crew. I was a department manager at the time looking too become a GM and instead of me being told they had the position filled, I was an "active GM" without the title or pay for approx. 4 months.

Advice to Management

Don't overwork yourself. Get your job done as best as possible, and be thoughtful too your employees.

Showing 366 of 1,809 reviews