Petco Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,027 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management sets unrealistic goals sometimes (in 124 reviews)

• Slashing payroll when they themselves admit the only way to survive only shopping onslaught is thru great customer service (in 62 reviews)

1. "Associate"

I worked at Petco part-time

Pros

working with animals, knowledgable job that helps you know what would be best for any pet including your own.

Cons

in my experience, the manager tried firing people for reasons that were not ethical.

2. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Petco part-time

Pros

- Friendly coworkers
    - Friendly clients

Cons

- None that I can think of

Advice to Management

n/a

"Petco Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Care, working with animals, customers, animal training and certifications. Ordering system was fairly smooth. They were good about employees taking lunch.

Cons

12-17 hour days; salary not hourly; M store was a broken store, the county health department almost closed the store due to filth. I resurrected the store, 1 yr later injured my back, instead of looking for a position for me within the company they fired me. I had a BA, 17 + solid work history, including 8 in United States Federal Government. I was a Regional Trainer fill in and conducted classes in customer service training because of my outstanding CS ratings. They adored me when I resurrected a store that was totally destroyed by the previous 9 managers, none of whom stayed longer than a year. The health dept. gave an official notice to have the store cleaned up enough to keep the doors open, I met that deadline. I regained all the lost customer base within 6 months which had not been done for 11 years. I deserved all the praise and recognition because I was a loyal, extremely hard working employee. However, when I got hurt, they would not even bother to consider to look for a position some where else in the company despite my education, work history & exceptional performance. It was really sad because I loved the company despite the unfair work practices and the unsafe practices which lead to my injury. (e.g. burning through a human being - see advice to mgmt.)

Advice to Management

As an assistant manager the site was slotted for a Manager, 2 key holders, & 2 x the floor staff. I had no manager, 1 key, and 1/2 the floor staff.

4. "Nice for a first job, or part time job, depending on your manager"

I worked at Petco full-time

Pros

Interacting with cute pets all day
    Great job training
    I made some great friends working here

Cons

Terrible raise structure, cannot negotiate pay
    Little to no upward mobility
    Poor correspondence with HR
    No accountability for managers to be ethical or release schedules on time
    Health benefits, not great

5. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with animals

Cons

Have to work with people

"guest advisor"

Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Guest Advisor in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Petco part-time

Pros

Petco is generally a pleasant place to work in a part-time position - if you like animals, and people that care about their pets. You want to help...you want to ensure that pet owners get the best product for their pet. There's a lot of casual chatting with customers about their animals: bragging, or health issues. Sometimes they go on and on and on....
    Petco has a decent return policy which insures a happy customer.

Cons

The amount of work assigned in any given shift may be impossible to complete in that actual shift. There are distractions such as having to bag fish, counting out and bagging one of three sizes of crickets, or discussing product knowledge of multiple brands of products Petco carries. (this isn't actually a con...it's just a distraction from your responsibilities because the animals come first. they are a priority)There's lots to do , and you better stay focused, or it wont get done. At any time the district manager will drop in and grill you on why a certain habitat isn't up to standard (because you were helping customers since there were only two people on the salesfloor: you and a person at the register. It can be a very stressful place to work.

There's an extensive "pyramid" you have to follow to get promoted, but the education and thorough skill development is crucial to giving good, intelligent customer service, and caring for living, breathing, creatures.

Advice to Management

The training is intense, but useful. The computer instruction is well done (both the videos and the read-alongs). Then there's the on-the-floor training, and product knowledge training (I had NONE of either). Throwing new hires on the sales floor without proper product knowledge is a great way to send a customer running to Pet Smart and/or writing a bad review on the website. Assign a manager to train and don't leave your new hire to figure things out on their own. Also: too many codes on the register (Opening a Petco Pals membership, F2, F9, etc) without any through instruction is extremely frustrating.

7. "Had a lot of fun meeting new animals and learning about how to take care of them. Hated the pay."

Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Dog Trainer in Whittier, CA

I worked at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with animals was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about which products are best for certain needs. I felt that I wasn't having to learn sales, but rather, how to best meet customer needs. It was easy to learn and people are usually leaving happy if they came in upset, which makes for less stress at work.

Cons

Didn't receive enough hours. I worked there two years, and every month I was lead in dog training sales, making our store increase its profit more so than it had before, but trying to get a raise from management was a pain! Full time? Forget it! Only management receives full time.

Advice to Management

Give out more raises to employees and consider full time positions for workers not interested in management but doing a great job.

8. "Review"

I have been working at Petco part-time

Pros

Good Hours, Room to move up, If you love animals you get to work with all different kinds

Cons

Understaffed Sporadic Training meeting the quotas and providing customer service can be annoying we always cater to what they want

"general manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company pays fair wages.

Cons

strict policies do not allow for gray situations

Advice to Management

get true opinions about district managers from GM's.

10. "need better animal husbandry"

I worked at Petco full-time

Pros

Getting to work with animals

Cons

They do not have proper diet for parrots and reptiles.

Advice to Management

Get a board certified exotics specialist to go over your husbandry requirements.

Showing 2,027 of 2,047 reviews