Petco Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017
1,759 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,759 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • working with animals and people that enjoy their pets if fun (in 209 reviews)

• You get to bring your pets to work (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • They start out at minimum wage and do not increase much from there unless your upper management like a GM or AM (in 101 reviews)

• No support from corporate with customer service issues (in 56 reviews)

1. "Horrible Place"

Former Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Petco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None other than the employee discount.

Cons

-Terrible management.
    -Animals sold in store aren't properly taken care of and must adhere to "corporate care" which is wrong on so many levels I.E. pinkies being fed to ball pythons that are over 2 feet in length.
    -Manager that will be your best friend then suddenly turn on you once the other employee that she was picking on quits so you become her next target.
    -Terrible customers that want to buy an animal but don't want to spend the money to care for it properly.
    -College students not having their availability met even though it was discussed that school is fine.
    -Terrible department manager that made me dread every time I had to work with her.
    -Marine life is poorly kept.
    -Numerous sick animals kept in the back.
    -Department manager micromanaged and nit-picked EVERY. SINGLE. THING.
    -Animals sold in store don't come first, sales do, even if they're going to a bad home.
    -Employees generally have bad attitudes, experienced this at other PetCos even while still employed.
    -Stressful, terrible place, with a terrible department manager, and a HORRIBLE customer base.
    -Worst job I ever had and glad I quit when I did.

Advice to Management

Store managers- listen to the associates and check your department manager's behavior.

"Companion Animal Leader"

Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Greenwood, SC
    Former Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Greenwood, SC

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with all types of animals, educating the public on proper and optimal care of animals, working with the community on events and education.

Cons

The lack of staff support to achieve all of the necessary maintenance tasks to give the animals what they optimally need was detrimental to the health and well being of the animals and the sanity of the person in this role. It is wearing on the mind, body and spirit.

Advice to Management

Either go bankrupt and stop fighting the battle to stay afloat or invest more into hiring the appropriate amount of people to get the jobs done.

"Great Building, Great Mission, Poor growth & no standardized processes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The building is great and the amenities- fitness center, cafe, coffee shop, walking path, etc. Fun to bring your pet to work. Sample sales are a highlight when they have them.

Cons

Plan on making ALOT less than standard for salary. Growth opportunities seem limited to who you know and who you hang out with. No SOP's, so you may have 30 people doing the same job and all of them do it differently. Health insurance is terrible for a company so large. I wouldn't be able to afford it for my family if not for my husband's insurance.

Advice to Management

Understand how the bigger picture will affect those that it ripples down to. Put people in management who have actually had experience doing the positions they'll manage (i.e. hire from within). There are too many people in high positions who haven't grown through that area and have no clue of what they are asking the people below them. The moral sucks. Bring back an event planner and invest in your employees and their happiness.

"Don't do it (Store Leader)"

Current Employee - Store Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- animal care is truly their number one priority
    - have met a few good people a long the way

Cons

- plagued by IT issues daily
    - IT department not equipped to fix issues in a timely manner
    - they'll give you just enough payroll to get by
    - Don't expect to make a livable wage. They pay the bare minimum and will give you .50 increases for promotions
    - upper field leadership is completely disconnected from what is happening in stores
    - very reactive company

Advice to Management

Wake up

6. "Almost enough."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most who work there are passionate about helping animals be happy and healthy.

Cons

Most facilities unfortunately just inherently don't have the means to accommodate the space the animals need in the store.

Advice to Management

Partner with an adoption agency and stop selling reptiles and rodents through inadequate living conditions.

7. "Conflicts"

Former Employee - CAL/MOL in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - CAL/MOL in Mobile, AL

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were many Pros too working for Petco. I loved my job. It was easy to advance, and I gained tons of knowledge within the few years I was there. I got to work around and with animals which was always a joy, My employees were a joy and always thoughtful too the customers, and made coaching and leading them extremely easy.

Cons

There seemed too be more Cons then Pros as the time went on. The main issues I head were within the corporate office and people in charge of the stores. Within two years of my store being open, we went through 4 DM's and multiple RACEL's. I didn't like the inconsistancy that they offered, or how often the policies and procedures changed on us. They didn't supply our stores with the proper hours too maintain 100% in productivity. It was ALWAYS a skeleton crew. I was a department manager at the time looking too become a GM and instead of me being told they had the position filled, I was an "active GM" without the title or pay for approx. 4 months.

Advice to Management

Don't overwork yourself. Get your job done as best as possible, and be thoughtful too your employees.

8. "No support or training"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None to give unless you like animals

Cons

They do not invest in training people. There is no way for promotion unless you are a good old boy. Don't ask questions you will regret it. Too many tasks not enough hours give to accomplish them. You feel blindfolded, one hand tied behind your back and spun around. Company is a rumour mill full of innuendo, worst than high school at the management level on down.

Advice to Management

None their hopeless

9. "I really enjoyed working here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great immediate supervisor
    -I worked in a great department where everyone got along
    -I was able to take my doggy to work, she misses "working" there
    -Good pay
    -Enjoyed the company culture
    -Participate in activities in the community

Cons

There is no job security and there is favoritism in some departments.

10. "Pet Stylist"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Huntington, NY
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive environment, supportive professionals & corporate policies that protect employees. Very good environment for new groomers to get experience.

Cons

Corporate policies, minimal pay. Many groomers are unsatisfied with the new pay scale and quota.

Advice to Management

Grooming is a SKILLED trade and many groomers earn more outside of corporate business. The new pay scale is only working at locations that are busy, but for locations that aren't busy enough the groomers are not being fairly compensated with their quota ratio. It is turning off many groomers from working at Petco. There should be some kind of curve to make it more fair.

"Think twice about working here."

Current Employee - Leader in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Leader in Portland, OR

Pros

Working with animals, Good co-workers

Cons

constantly being subjected to degrading by store leader, and critized over everything, wether or not you were personally responsible for it.
    It is retail so you still have to deal with unrulely customers and constant theft issues because there is never enough employees to properly take care of customers and still deal with assigned tasks.

Advice to Management

Degrading your employee's wont make them better. It will only make them bitter and resentful, which over time, will bring down the moral of other employees. Try encouraging a positive enviroment so employee's feel like they matter.

Showing 1,759 of 1,775 reviews