Petco Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Petco CEO Brad Weston
Brad Weston
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • love working with animals, so its not really a "job" to me, maybe thats why some people dont like it (in 217 reviews)

• You get to bring your pets to work (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • They start out at minimum wage and do not increase much from there unless your upper management like a GM or AM (in 107 reviews)

• Slashing payroll when they themselves admit the only way to survive only shopping onslaught is thru great customer service (in 57 reviews)

"Good title to have in today's workforce"

Current Employee - Vendor Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Vendor Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can bring your pet to work

Cons

No major cons that I have experienced. No workplace is perfect.

"It's not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Guest Experience Leader in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Experience Leader in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A majority of the people I work with are really the only reason I still work there, which, when you think about it, isn't a great reason

Cons

- unrealistic workload with the payroll provided. They want more (much more) with less. The result is half assed performance and stressed employees
    - upper management perpetuates unfair behaviors such as retaliation nepotism, in addition to setting a very bad example of how to treat your direct reports. Market leaders, district leaders, animal Care and service leaders all have a very condescending tone when they come into the stores. They really don't appreciate the hard work employees put in every day, and instead dwell on every possible negative aspect
    -the pay is terrible, raises are a joke and insult, and opportunities for involvement are all based on who you know or how much Brown nosing you do

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Don't make us use lingo like "partner's" and treat us like slave's, it's patronizing and quite insulting. For the amount of work that even a basic partner does, minimum wage does not compensate, so either pay fairly or stop trying to force feed us propaganda about we believe this and that. No employee is going to be passionate about their job if they don't get adequately compensated for their contribution

"Demanding level of work for confused upper level management"

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dogs in the office are always a pro!

Cons

Horrible middle management. They don't stick up for the little guys running around to make everything happen. If you know senior level is asking for a report that makes no sense and will take hours to create...push back! Stick up for us!

They increased our workload by at least 5x with no pay increase and no 'thank you'. I'd say about 2/3 of the planning team across the company left in anger and frustration during my last 6 months. It was a nightmare.

I moved on to working with startups because they understand 'that's how we've always done it' isn't a real thing anyone should every say.

Advice to Management

Think about what you're asking of the people you depend on the most.

4. "Great place"

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with, upper management has your back and is always willing to help.

Cons

they want you to be the absolute best while operating with extremely little payroll

Advice to Management

move the dog training payroll to services rather than from the sales floor

"Trainwreck"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bring your pet to work, casual dress and nice building.

Cons

Earlier this year cut 180 positions at their headquarters and talk of more to come. People that are left are doing the work of several people to compensate. Employees are stressed and unhappy. A lot of instability. Management keeps changing direction. Management (Officers are paid well), everyone else not so much. CEO and Sr. Officers do not care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting positions and hiring ADDitional senior management. Think about cutting your salaries or bonuses first. Have more consideration and respect for the people that work for you. Very sad to see a company that was once great go downhill so quickly!

"Petco is not where the Pets should go."

Former Employee - Groomer Apprentice in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Groomer Apprentice in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees usually really care about the animals. Management however usually has a different outlook.

Cons

management, and animal care is inadequate to be polite. most locations to not dedicate the necessary time or space needed to ensure the small animals in the facility are taken proper care of. They are more than just products.

"IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice new office building and you can bring your dog to work

Cons

the company make money but layoff people every year

"Great Building, Great Mission, Poor growth & no standardized processes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The building is great and the amenities- fitness center, cafe, coffee shop, walking path, etc. Fun to bring your pet to work. Sample sales are a highlight when they have them.

Cons

Plan on making ALOT less than standard for salary. Growth opportunities seem limited to who you know and who you hang out with. No SOP's, so you may have 30 people doing the same job and all of them do it differently. Health insurance is terrible for a company so large. I wouldn't be able to afford it for my family if not for my husband's insurance.

Advice to Management

Understand how the bigger picture will affect those that it ripples down to. Put people in management who have actually had experience doing the positions they'll manage (i.e. hire from within). There are too many people in high positions who haven't grown through that area and have no clue of what they are asking the people below them. The moral sucks. Bring back an event planner and invest in your employees and their happiness.

9. "Awesome facility to work in"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Dogs everywhere, friendly people, free food events, on-site gym, great computer programs and systems with easy access to help if needed

Cons

Chain of command was a little confusing, and there have been a disturbing amount of "reorganizations" aka layoffs in recent years...

Advice to Management

...

"Merchandising"

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. You get to bring your pets to work!

Cons

Layoffs seem to happen annually

Advice to Management

Bringing in more diversity will help Petco keep their brand identity. When executives just bring in their friends from JCP and Target, the company becomes divided and chaotic.

Showing 107 of 1,841 reviews