KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Is this your company?

Add a Review

Petco Employee Reviews about "animals"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

Found 393 of over 4,172 reviews

3.2
Petco CEO Ron Coughlin
Ron Coughlin
Pros
  • "Benefits promotions working with animals(in 392 reviews)

• "Bring pets to work is the only positive(in 97 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Nothing bad , if you love animals(in 394 reviews)

• "Low pay/ upper management unstable(in 188 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Petco and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "animals"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing entry to animal industry

Nov 22, 2020 - Dog Trainer in Tomball, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Location, Working environment , Protective policies

Cons

Rude customers , Sales, People not cleaning up after their animals

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Depends on the store

Dec 19, 2020 - Companion Animal Department Manager in Hartford, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good management (depending on location), helps to build experience with ordering, merchandising, and guest relations.

Cons

HR is not responsive, upper management disconnected with needs of stores, pressure to sell items that are not high quality or appropriate. The customers are also sometimes unwilling to provide the correct care for their animals which is hard to deal with at times. For COVID we did not receive a wage increase although there are monthly bonuses. The district managers travel from out of state regularly despite restrictions on travel. My wages have not increased as they should with the rise of minimum wage so at one point my income actually decreased vs minimum wage from $4 above to only $2 above. There is a big misconception that you "play with the animals" in this role but actually it's quite the opposite. I spend a lot of time cleaning cages and tanks instead. You have to work 35-40hrs to be considered for this position. No real opportunity for overtime.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Entry level before raise

Jan 7, 2021 - Experienced Guest Specialist in League City, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

50 cent raise and the ability to work or be trained in other departments.

Cons

If there's a shortage of workers, you will get put on the register even if they promise to put you in a department you're good at. Some people were just there for the money and not the animals.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love the job, hate the structure

Dec 26, 2020 - Aquatics Specialist in Round Rock, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The customer relations can be very meaningful if you are dedicated to ensuring that they are getting properly educated on the care needs for their pet.

Cons

Corporate runs like corporate usually does where a lot of vital animal care requirements fall on def ears, resulting in what I, and anyone who knows about the health and well being of animals would say is negligence.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A very hands on business focused on customer experience and animals

May 20, 2020 - Assistant Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Upbeat work atmosphere Learning a lot about animal care and nutrition Majority of customers in great mood and excited to speak about their animals Upper management is readily focused on the needs of the business and growth of personell Excellent benefits If you have the talent and focus, you can move up with this company very fast

Cons

If your a huge animal lover, this might not be the place for you. This business and larger pet companies like PetSmart, are not primarily focused on animals. It's more on the business around the animlas and the experience of customers. I have seen way too many people who come in thinking its like working at a zoo. The business and the customers come first and animal care is primary just the basics. Whether you are management or under, most stores have small staff so there is a lot of running the register. 80% part timers, 65% department managers, 50% GMs and assistant GMs There is bonus structure in place but the metrics make it too hard to achieve.

2 people found this review helpful

Petco Response

Petco Experience Team

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your honest feedback. While we're happy to hear you enjoy the upbeat working environment but regret to here about your concerns regarding animal care. If you experienced a situation that violated our Code of Ethics and Conduct, please contact the Petco Hotline at 1-888-736-9834 or http://petcohotline.com/.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great if you like stress

Jan 21, 2021 - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pittsburgh, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There’s animals obviously, and it’s a good way to start working with money if it’s your first job.

Cons

Management only cares about self image and sales. The animals aren’t a priority unless you personally make them one. Hours are awful. Even if you kiss up to the managers it doesn’t make a difference. You’re either under worked or overworked in a day. There’s no in between.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0

Great Place for Dogs, Just Not People

Oct 12, 2020 - Dog Trainer in Saint Paul, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed meeting new people and dogs in the training sessions. I like learning about all of the animals and their care. The discount was nice, too!

Cons

The lead was a friend of the boss and she did nothing, but tell others what to do. She would pressure customers to buy things they didn't want - they would end up buying it to get her to go away and return it at another location. She would come in 15 minutes late for her shift and sit in the office eating. She never did any of the animal care she said she did and many animals suffered because of it. This was brought to higher ups attention, but nothing was done.

8. 3.0

Employee Turnover

Sep 29, 2020 - Sales Associate/Cashier in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This was one of the more fun jobs I worked (sometimes). I was passionate about caring for the animals in our care. It’s a different setting than a traditional retail position.

Cons

The store I worked at had heavy employee turnover. It seemed we never had enough help, and customers would be waiting in departments while someone was glued to a register. The sale of animals through a chain is really depressing and needs to be changed. I was also “trained” in as a dog trainer, however I did not receive the proper length or depth of the training I should have. I felt anxiety and unprepared for teaching classes.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

Fun

Jan 10, 2021 - Cashier in Avon, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interact with animals all day

Cons

Nothing bad , if you love animals This is the place for you

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Getting better

Dec 14, 2020 - Assistant General Manager in Mahape
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discounts Team work $50-100 bonuses you meet sales goals

Cons

Retail hours- nights weekends and holidays Low wages Higher work load than most retail stores simply because you’re also taking care of animals

Viewing 1 - 10 of 393 Reviews