KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Petco

Is this your company?

Petco

Add a Review

Petco Employee Reviews about "pets to work"

Updated Jun 3, 2020

Found 95 of over 4,266 reviews

3.2
Petco CEO Ron Coughlin
Ron Coughlin

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Petco and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "pets to work"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Company doesn't value Administrative Team

Feb 18, 2019 - Executive Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Laid back environment; Get to take your pets to work; Friendly employees for the most part;

Cons

Worst HR team you'll ever have to deal with; The company doesn't value the administrative Team. If you are a receptionist, administrative assistant or executive assistant - do yourself a favor and don't work here. All these roles are treated with the same amount of disrespect.

5 people found this review helpful

Petco Experience Team

We appreciate your honest review and will share this with our team. Thank you!

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Corporate

Dec 17, 2018 - Corporate in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Building: The NSC is absolute beautiful, one of the best in San Diego with multiple dog parks, cafe, gym, walking trail, coffee cart and lots of natural lighting. Encouraged to bring pets to work. Leadership: The new senior leadership team is one track and making great changes. I have seen more morale and excitement in the past 6 months than within the past 4 years of being here. It’s an exciting time to hop on the Petco train. Career: You will constantly learn something new. Since we are a retail company, you will have to execute quick changes. I’m putting this in the Pro section because I thrive in this environment, it’s not for everyone, but I like to be kept on my toes. If you are open to learning new skills in a fast pace environment, this is the place for you. PTO: You get your PTO right away, there’s no waiting period which is nice. Culture: There are some amazingly passionate people here. Some of the best talents I’ve seen in corporate. Contrary to what activists and some people say on social media, company culture is definitely about animal well being comes first. If something bad happens, they actually jump on it pretty quick. There’s also a lot of little communities within Petco. Like a hiking group, Empowering women group, there’s something for everyone.

Cons

Compensation/benefits: We’re below average when compared to other companies with similar job titles. That’s the truth. Petco is a great start to your career, but not a long term investment if you’re looking to pay off your student loans or pay off the mortgage. It’s mainly because the cost of living is pretty high in San Diego. We get our PTO right away, but don’t expect to use them throughout the year. Most people have to use them during the holidays, and that’s it. We work most holidays, but for those with family out of state like me, it’s difficult to travel with minimum PTO left after the holiday season. People: Yes, there are amazingly talented people. But not everyone should be working here. I noticed every department has at least one or two toxic thorn, and that can have a domino effect on the rest of the department. Petco needs to step up and do an honest evaluation of its people. During the townhall meeting, there were numerous questions about what the new Chief of HR is going do and how she’s going to make our life better. For goodness sake, she just started a few weeks ago and people aren’t even giving her the time to settle in and evaluate everything yet. I read a previous review that someone said Petco hires a lot of mediocre talent, and that those talent have no drive. I second that 100%. These are the same people that complain about lack of career development, when they themselves only do the bare minimum. (i bet you these are the same people that leave dirty dishes at the community hubs.) I personally don’t believe you should be rewarded simply for doing YOUR JOB. When the new CEO came in, there were a lot of changes to the leadership team. There needs to be a change in the middle and the lower levels too. Why build a strong roof when you have a weak foundation? It’s not always the leaderships’ fault. FYI, I hold a lower level position. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been with a company, if you’re not adaptable to the changing environment, it might be time for step out. Training: There’s little tools to train when you’re a new hire. Frankly, it’s not on HR or senior leadership to train you. The responsibility for making these tools should fall on the the management and director’s level. It’s a lot of sink or swim when you’re new, and that’s a pattern I see across most departments.

15 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee

On the right track

Dec 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Office: *Great Monday-Friday 8 to 5 schedule. * You can bring you pets to work with you, working for Petco gives you a sense of hope that you are helping make the world better for both pets, and pet parents every day.

Cons

Office: *Benefits: need critical updating/modernization. *Communication: While the executives are awesome at communicating/answering questions on where the company is going on a quarterly basis, there are next to no updates on changes or current plans from direct supervisors. *Workload: Some positions unwilling adopt more work than others, but never see a compensation for the workload that is added. *The biggest con I have felt from the Corporate level is that it feels like there is no drive or path for growth. You get the job you have, and if you try to branch out into other positions, it feels like you will burn bridges and hurt your reputation, more that learning and trying to grow within your company. It's terrible to feel so limited in a company you love being a part of, because you don't want to end up on someones bad side.

Petco Experience Team

We hear you loud and clear, and while we're happy to hear you enjoy the workspace and share pride in our mission, we also want you to know that we support you and your ambition to grow within the company. We will discuss your advice with our team, and look forward to what the future has in store. Thank you!

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Cautiously Optimistic

Dec 12, 2018 - Marketing Director in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful campus, ability to bring your pet to work, great on-site cafeteria, very talented people in all areas of the organization, fun company-sponsored events, new CEO seems to be re-energizing the organization. The work is rewarding if you like pets.

Cons

Archaic technology in lots of different areas of the business. Priorities are not well communicated to teams. People are unclear on what their roles are so work is duplicated from different teams or not done at all. As far as I can tell, there are 2-3 HR employees for hundreds of employes at our San Diego support center. I have asked for my job description and gotten no response. I have also been told there is no budget for professional development or conferences. The constant reorganization and annual layoffs makes people lack job security which can create territorial behavior. There aren't many women in leadership roles and there are some male VPs who treat women disrespectfully, talk over them during meetings or disregard their contributions.

2 people found this review helpful

Petco Experience Team

Thanks for your honest review, we value your feedback. While we're happy to hear that you find it rewarding to work with pets and enjoy our work culture, we regret to hear about your other concerns. We are constantly looking for new ways to innovate, move the company forward, and improve your employee experience. We're grateful to have you on board and will surely keep this feedback in mind.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Current NSC Employee

Dec 8, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Petco recognizes that the retail environment is changing and is adapting it's business model to stay relevant. I am optimistic about the company's future! I appreciate and like the people I work . They are talented, collaborative and genuinely want to do the right things for the pets and guests we serve. I enjoy the casual work environment and can't say enough positive things about being able to bring your pet to work. It creates a work place that is family oriented. Our new CEO is focused and results driven. He has made an extraordinary effort to learn retail from the stores point of view.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not competitive. San Diego is an expensive place to live and if Petco is looking to recruit and retain top talent, changes need to be made. We have a new CHRO and I am hopeful she will make significant changes. There are definitely growing pains with the new CEO. He has a talented and seasoned executive team. He demands a lot of their time which significantly impacts the teams they lead. As with most elements of business, there are two sides to the equation. I would like to see Ron better understand and appreciate retail and merchandising from the headquarters side.

3 people found this review helpful

Petco Experience Team

Thanks for your honest review. While we're happy to hear that you're your role with the Pet family, we regret to hear about your other concerns. We are constantly looking for new ways to innovate and improve your employee experience. We appreciate your input and will surely keep this feedback in mind.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Petco headed in the right direction

Nov 27, 2018 - Director in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Being able to bring your pet to work * Beautiful office with on-site cafe and gym, Starbucks, plenty of parking * Change is in the air with new leadership including CEO and most of executive team that acknowledges we have room for improvements across the board which is refreshing

Cons

* Lack of upward mobility; many roles lack a plan for growth * Managers hands are tied to give promotions or raises. * Too many outside folks added to teams in the past year that just do whatever they want versus for the better good of overall Petco - creates frictions with teams.

1 person found this review helpful

Petco Experience Team

Thank you for your honest review, we're grateful to have you on board. We do our best to adapt to changes in the business and appreciate your thoughtful feedback. We're constantly looking for ways to improve and move the company in a positive direction. We're all in this together and if you've got ideas or concerns we encourage you to share your thoughts with your management and the Petco Hotline at 1-888-736-9834 or http://petcohotline.com/ so we can get a better understanding.

7. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Corporate Accounting Intern

Nov 28, 2018 - Accounting in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Bring your pet to work everyday -Flexible hours -Great culture -Friendly/helpful coworkers -Reasonable pay -Work life balance -Upper management DOES listen (including the CEO)

Cons

Daily tasks can be a bit repetitive but, other than that, no cons. Great company.

Petco Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're happy to hear that you enjoy being a part of our work culture! We're grateful to have you on board and we'll continue to work towards making our company a great place to work. Thank you!

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work!

Nov 28, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to bring your pets to work with you in the support center! There are events and celebrations we have. We work hard, but we play hard.

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons worth mentioning. If you do what is expected of you, and have a positive attitude, you will love this company!

Petco Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your role with the Petco family! We're grateful to have you on board and we'll continue to work towards making our company a great place to work. Thank you!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Nov 27, 2018 - Data Scientist in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bring your pet to work, relaxed environment, store discounts, caring/passionate coworkers

Cons

Benefits; there's currently a 6 month (used to be 1 year) waiting period to contribute to a r