Petco "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Petco Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 12, 2019

3.1
Petco CEO Ron Coughlin
Ron Coughlin
Pros
  • "Working with animals always a pro(in 346 reviews)

• "i made money and got to pet dogs at the same time(in 193 reviews)

Cons
  • "Watching people bring back dead animals because they didn't listen to your advice(in 347 reviews)

• "Never having upper management say anything positive(in 168 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Store Leader in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Passionate people, helpful, friendly environment, where vision is always in the forefront.

Cons

Advancement opportunities limited, especially if you are unable to relocate. Environment of upper management still has some people who are very negative, but lots of improvement in last several months.

Advice to Management

The changes of late are wonderful, and hope they continue. Be more in touch with stores and actual tasks that stores are being give .

Petco2018-12-04
  2. "SL"

Former Employee - Store Leader

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discounts on all products, good customer base.

Cons

Horrible upper management, bad visions, unrealistic goals, not enough hours to run store,

Advice to Management

To worried about pet services and losing site over general retail

Petco2019-11-12

"Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at Petco part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Coworkers nice; work is straightforward -Lots of time interfacing with customers

Cons

-Upper management places too much emphasis on numbers

Petco2019-10-08

"Upper management doesn’t care at all"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pretty much guaranteed hours

Cons

If anything needs repair, won’t happen. If store manager does something wrong, no repercussions. At all. Get threatened during walk throughs a for telling upper management of issues.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring thieves as managers, stop hiring people that commit sex assault on the employees and DO NOTHING when it’s reported. My district manager told me “but he didn’t really hurt you tho right”

Petco2019-10-12

"Wonderful Animals, Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Companion Animal Leader in Springfield, OR

I worked at Petco full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved spending time with the animals - learning about them and caring for them - and helping guests find the perfect pet for them. Building guest loyalty and providing great service was very rewarding.

Cons

My store leader was atrocious. While very knowledgeable about the business, and most of the animals we worked with, she was a personnel nightmare. I faced terrible treatment, bordering on abuse and discrimination, during my pregnancy, and had to go to Human Resources and upper management upon my return from maternity leave in order to establish a healthy routine for pumping. I know I am not alone in my experiences,... as fellow coworkers had heard her use degrading and cruel language - the R slur included. Totally unacceptable.

Advice to Management

Realize that in order for your employees to deliver the results you want, you need to support them with the staffing levels, materials and pay they need to be successful. Enough of the bare minimum staffing and expectation that we can do more with less. Your employees are worn out and underpaid. Finally, listen to your employees. When your turnover is astronomical and you've received multiple ethics hotline calls... about a Leader...maybe that leader needs to go.

Petco2019-07-31

"Culpability over Accountability"

Current Employee - Guest Experience Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Petco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Customers are often understanding as to the nature of the help shortages.

Cons

My primary experience with Petco has circled around the desire to place blame in associates that have not yet reached 90 days in order to alleviate a responsibility gap. Understaffed, strained teams are disrespected, bullied and threatened with the possible "red-flag", demotion or termination. Accountability is a two-way street. As a leader, if you desire to have a particular result, you must present the example..., outline a practical risk method to attain it and be willing to entertain questions or concerns about the process. Choosing to wait until a failure occurs, point a finger and tell someone "they could show up in the news" is unhelpful and fruitless. Petco employs (or chooses to use) no dedicated monetary budget for training at any store position. In short, a company that holds animal welfare above all will not spare a few hours pay to have a newly hired associate or leader work with an approved training partner to learn animal safety. The response to this lack of information is as you may guess, computer based learning. Reflecting back, no financial payroll investment is placed aside for training thus the computer merged is futile because it is not utilized in lieu of new employees being forced into active store positions prematurely to meet financial restraints. Payroll is based on sales configuration with both regard to volume of animals on hand. This is particularly stressing considering each Petco maintains a wellness room which separates unhealthy or hurt animals from their counterparts on the selling floor. In short an animal may require a specialized treatment requiring an hour to complete like a reptile soak to aid in skin shedding. No additional payroll is incurred. Furthermore, payroll dollars are routinely cut throughout the week meaning even if a time balance has been designed to meet each need, upper management can simply dismiss it in light of reduced income.

Advice to Management

Train associates and leaders. Treat them as investments; assets. Loosen the purse strings to allow your teams to do what you claim is your mission to take care of pets and their people. Track your middle management for in-store turnover and partner satisfaction. The company seems to trend as a loser of talent often due to their own policies and shortcomings around training and development.

Petco2019-06-29

"Lack of loyalty"

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Customers can be great, help pet parents better improve pet lives, meet and interact with animals every shift, most co workers are fun and easy to work with

Cons

Undervalue employees who have been with the company for many years, New employees get paid more than tenure employees, favoritism plays a huge part by upper management. No payroll to realistically complete projects, train new employees use empowered to sale, or do one on one meetings. This all leads to a store level resentment towards corporate.

Advice to Management

Increase payroll, reduce all the “meetings”, appreciate your employees

Petco2019-05-18
  8. "Love working with animals"

Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly staff Lots of room to advance/move up Different departments to specialize in Get to work with animals

Cons

Rude customers Bad upper management Lacking in training

Petco2019-05-02
  9. "The job and the work is great. It’s a fun job, in a really great atmosphere."

Current Employee - Aquatics Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly pets, friendly customers, getting to work with animals all day is great.

Cons

The upper management (district leaders) are corrupt, and don’t care about the wellbeing of their employees.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more. The reason a lot of employees quit is directly related to how they are treated by management. If you want the ones that care to stay, treat them appropriately.

Petco2019-04-23
  10. "Terrible. IPP is terrible."

Former Employee - Groomer in Denver, CO

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, good customers.

Cons

Upper management. Terrible management strategies. Awful pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to experienced employees

Petco2019-05-10