Peterson Sullivan Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Russell

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my two years at PS and only left because I moved out of state.
    Great support from all levels, cares about your career not just the hours you put in, always pushing you to grow but giving you the support to do so, great benefits and compensation.

Cons

Peterson Sullivan may be getting a little too big, but that is my personal preference and I believe they are doing their best to accommodate their growth

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Benefits
    - Generous PTO
    - Supportive of Business Development Activities
    - Flexible Schedule

Cons

- There are no cons here that other CPA firms in the region do not have

"a note for any skeptics"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PS spends a lot of time and energy getting feedback from current and former employees in order to be sure that partners and managers have the info needed to make PS a great place to work. Know that one employer cannot be all things to all people, no matter how hard they try. At least PS tries, and is successful most of the time. The partner group allocates significant resources to support all kinds of culture-building initiatives. Those who are veterans of the public accounting industry know very well this is not the norm for public accounting firms. Heck, its not the norm for any employer of any industry. I consider myself lucky to be appreciated and I know that if I'm unhappy with anything, honestly, anything, that I can speak up and my voice will be heard and my opinion will be valued. That alone makes me want to come to work every day and give my best to my employer and my clients.

Cons

As hard as the partner and manager group tries to do all the right things, they don't always get it right. Is that a "con"? Does anyone ever get it right all the time? Come on, lets give an "A" for effort and instead of complaining about what's not right, lets all roll up our sleeves and do our part to make it right. As with most things in life, the benefits received are directly proportional to the effort put forth. Those who want to succeed, have SO much opportunity and support to do so here at PS.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and keep growing and keep on keeping on. I love the direction that PS is headed. While continual change and growth may be viewed negatively by some, the rest of us love the opportunities we have because of it and we're ready to do our part in making PS one of the best firms out there in every way possible.

"Best place I have ever worked..."

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

I have been in public accounting for 10 years. Hands down the best place I have ever worked. Having been at other firms, including Big 4, I can tell you this place has the best busy season and morale by far. The people are young, driven, passionate and ready to take on the world. Everyone gives 100% and they take great care to hire the right people. The culture is amazing and the Partners are dedicated to encouraging growth of young talent. I have never worked somewhere that is so grateful of their employees and genuinely wants to see them do their best.

Cons

This place is awesome, I only see positive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work, with greatness comes great challenges. Continue showing gratitude as that is the key to success!

"Work Hard and Play Hard"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PS is really good about supporting employees with lots of fun activities outside of work. We do monthly happy hours, and play on several sports teams together. There is definitely a culture of work hard, play hard.

PS also has lots of really smart people, so we are constantly challenged with new opportunities and new things to learn.

In the past couple of years, PS has grown substantially, so there are a lot of opportunities for promotion and career advancement.

I wouldn't want to work anywhere else. I will probably be here until I retire.

Cons

My only "con" of working at PS is overtime, but that is true for all public accounting firms. I wouldn't consider it a con of working at PS, but the industry as a whole.

"PS is all they say they are - and maybe more"

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time

Pros

PS really makes you want to love your job. For the most part all staff (from seniors to partners) are really supportive and want to do all they can to keep you a happy employee. There are TONS of perks (coffee, food, happy hours, sports, sports and more sports, a food truck group, lots of fundraisers, etc). Its really hard to be bored here, and easy to make friends.

In terms of the work variety - its fabulous. I've tried everything from PCAOB, to A-133, to for profit and nonprofit, and everything from comps to full audits. I realized some things didn't interest me, and everyone was really supportive of helping me transition to work I really enjoyed.

Cons

The hours are rough sometimes, BUT not unusual for public accounting. You also have to be a driven employee - you will get as much out of PS as you want, you just have to want to succeed. If you just want to show up 9-5, and not talk to your co-workers, you can, just don't expect the same experience everyone else raves about.

Advice to Management

Continue to think of better ways to support your employees based on things that motivate them (bonuses, earned days off (in addition to great vacation time), better raises, firm events that aren't work oriented (like the picnic).

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Administration in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administration in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since my first day here, I've felt an immense amount of support from management - they've opened doors to educational opportunities, and championed my growth as a professional. The open door policy at PS makes it a fun, approachable place to work. I consider everyone on my team a friend, and truly enjoy coming to work every day. Peterson Sullivan understands the meaning of 'work-life balance', and makes sure every employee is taken care of. The compensation, benefits, and company culture are excellent!

Cons

Honestly, I've never worked anywhere that I've loved as much as Peterson Sullivan so it's hard to come up with cons about the company.

Advice to Management

Thanks for your continued support and for always looking out for your employee's best interests - we truly appreciate it!

"Current Audit Associate"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting & challenging work
    Access to Partners and Managers
    Sincere people to work with
    Fun environment & great benefits/perks

Cons

Saturdays during busy season! (But I guess that is to be expected)

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with staff. The All Firm Retreat was very informative this year.

"Review"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Comp Time
    Friendly Staff and managers

Cons

Some Clients are just horrible
    Some managers have no work life balance
    Growing too fast for the family feel
    Small budgets

Advice to Management

Focus more on training and continue with the feedback that is provided to employees. Review budgets and determine if they are realistic and express that to the staff.

11. "Awesome place to work"

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PS has worked hard to build a culture-centric workforce, and it shows. The people here are some of the best I've met in the industry. Everyone is welcoming and friendly, and close friendships are easy to form.

Overall, there are a number of community events to participate in and they typically are more than just show.

I've worked in both industry and public accounting, and the people here are top-notch professionals, and again, they really care about the associates on the job. Industries are diverse and growing in both size and complexity and associates have a ton of options and opportunities for growth.

Cons

Behind the times with audit planning and effectiveness. New projects put in place aren't addressing all the issues as efficiency measures need to be from the top down, and it's not really coming through.

Both client base and client size are growing, but small clients are still being retained, creating a large backlog of small jobs interfering with larger higher fee jobs.

Burnout can be an issue (as with public accounting in general) but goes a bit further here due to extra burdens from the audit practices.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on process improvement. Newly implemented projects aren't a magic bullet and we need full firm buy in to make something happen.

As clients increase in size and complexity, we need to make sure we address these issues as a firm and are prepared to meet the challenges this presents. We are in a great spot now but need to make sure we stay in a great spot as time goes on.

Peterson Sullivan Response

May 25, 2017 – Talent Specialist

Thank you for your honest and candid feedback! The firm has invested significant resources in culture, efficiency, and we also believe that’s it’s starting to show. The operations team and the head ... More