Peterson Sullivan Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Russell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time

Pros

Salary and schedule flexibility are great

Cons

Difficult to get responsibility for client relationships from older partners

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time

Pros

The people, the variety, the opportunity

Cons

The typical downsides of working at a large CPA firm

Sep 8, 2017 – Senior Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review! We are so proud of our people, and work very hard to make sure we maintain our strong culture while continuing to enjoy healthy growth!

"Mostly good, some bad"

I worked at Peterson Sullivan full-time

Pros

I really like the firm's flexibility and remote work policy, particularly in the summer. I think the management team does try to make work/life balance a general priority. I like that management requests feedback in the form of surveys, etc., however, these types of communications are limited. Despite growing pains the firm is trying its best to keep up with a changing generation and changing workplace environment. The firm is first class when it comes to utilizing technology and is ahead of the curve compared to other CPA firms.

Cons

HR does run the firm; at least it feels that way from a staff perspective. I felt closely watched and judged by the HR department and if you don't fit into "clique" you will not be promoted as promotions seem to rely heavily on favoritism and not necessarily skill. Many people are stressed out and seem to be unhappy. There is high turnover, longer hours during the summer months, disproportionate assignment of projects, lack of transparency with promotions, etc. but the staff feel that we can't say anything for fear of being called a whiner and having a promotion withheld so most just suffer in silence. Management drinks the kool-aid and won't have honest conversations about some of the negative aspects of PS. It feels like we're forced to project the facade that PS is the best thing since sliced bread instead of being realistic about some of the problems. The annual review system put in place is archaic and badly needs to be updated. The HR team says that pay is commensurate with market rates but I disagree and felt underpaid for the work that I provided, particularly since the market is favorable towards CPAs right now.

Advice to Management

Don't just talk the talk. The firm does try but needs more open and critical conversations about work-life balance, hours expectations, etc. These conversations should preferably be anonymous to protect staff members from unnecessary blowback.

Jul 10, 2017 – Talent Specialist

Thank you for your comments. We strive to solicit feedback from all employees throughout the year so that we can identify areas for growth and improvement. We regret that you feel you had a... More

4. "Awesome place to work"

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PS has worked hard to build a culture-centric workforce, and it shows. The people here are some of the best I've met in the industry. Everyone is welcoming and friendly, and close friendships are easy to form.

Overall, there are a number of community events to participate in and they typically are more than just show.

I've worked in both industry and public accounting, and the people here are top-notch professionals, and again, they really care about the associates on the job. Industries are diverse and growing in both size and complexity and associates have a ton of options and opportunities for growth.

Cons

Behind the times with audit planning and effectiveness. New projects put in place aren't addressing all the issues as efficiency measures need to be from the top down, and it's not really coming through.

Both client base and client size are growing, but small clients are still being retained, creating a large backlog of small jobs interfering with larger higher fee jobs.

Burnout can be an issue (as with public accounting in general) but goes a bit further here due to extra burdens from the audit practices.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on process improvement. Newly implemented projects aren't a magic bullet and we need full firm buy in to make something happen.

As clients increase in size and complexity, we need to make sure we address these issues as a firm and are prepared to meet the challenges this presents. We are in a great spot now but need to make sure we stay in a great spot as time goes on.

May 25, 2017 – Talent Specialist

Thank you for your honest and candid feedback! The firm has invested significant resources in culture, efficiency, and we also believe that’s it’s starting to show. The operations team and the head... More

"Pleasant Place to work"

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan part-time

Pros

Really employee-centric in terms of activities and food

Cons

not culturally competent or diverse

"Almost a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Auditor
    Former Employee - Auditor

I worked at Peterson Sullivan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working at Peterson Sullivan and have learned a lot there. Now that I have left, I realize how much the Partners, Managers, and Staff have contributed towards my future accounting career and my life as a whole. The Partners encourage personal growth and are supportive while still emphasizing quality and professionalism. The Culture Club is awesome and PS is fantastic at making every day in the office an enjoyable experience. Overall, the people at PS are amazing!

Cons

The hardest part of working at PS is the bias by Partners, Marketing, and HR which has contributed to a culture of passive aggressiveness, gossip, and it is difficult to be recognized and to be provided opportunities if you are not outgoing. Burn out is becoming pervasive as unrealistic promises are made (work/life balance, not working on vacation) and unrealistic expectations are set for most engagements.

Advice to Management

PS used to have a very collaborative culture which most employees thrived in. Be aware of bias and try to provide opportunities to everyone.

"Work as audit associate"

Pros

PS hires many few young people which makes working there fun

Cons

Long hours, inflexible work schedule,

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my two years at PS and only left because I moved out of state.
    Great support from all levels, cares about your career not just the hours you put in, always pushing you to grow but giving you the support to do so, great benefits and compensation.

Cons

Peterson Sullivan may be getting a little too big, but that is my personal preference and I believe they are doing their best to accommodate their growth

"Great Place to Work if You Don't Mind Long Hours"

Pros

Amazing co-workers, a great team atmosphere, focus on developing people into strong CPAs with plenty of opportunity to take on additional responsibility

Cons

Understaffed, scheduled time for jobs is not adequate, resulting in needing to work busy season hours most of the year

Advice to Management

PS is a great place to work. We're aware that you're doing your best to fix the staffing issue - keep it up!

Jun 11, 2016 – Senior Director of Human Resources

Thank you for submitting a review! PS IS a great place to work! Employees are our best referral sources - please encourage those in your network that might be a great long-term fit to JOIN US!

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Peterson Sullivan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Benefits
    - Generous PTO
    - Supportive of Business Development Activities
    - Flexible Schedule

Cons

- There are no cons here that other CPA firms in the region do not have