Peterson’s Reviews | Glassdoor

Peterson’s Reviews

Updated 6 Sep 2019

2.3
Peterson’s CEO Mo Lam (no image)
Mo Lam
  1. "A place where you have the ability to impact change"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Peterson’s full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great place to work where you have the ability to impact change day in and day out. You get all the opportunities of a start up but the benefits of working for an establish company.

Cons

Shared office space can be distracting.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for opportunities to transform Peterson's position in the market.

Peterson’s2019-07-16
  2. "Learned a lot, grew a lot"

Former Employee - Editor in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Peterson’s full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super smart people getting sh*t done. Lots of opportunities for growth. Managers are overwhelmed and willing to let people take on responsibility. People really care about the work product.

Cons

The company is in flux. New owners move fast and break things, so be prepared for a lot of ups and downs. Hard to get stuff done in the open floor plan.

Advice to Management

Go slower. Make less mistakes. Listen more to the team.

Peterson’s2019-09-05

"Dumpster fire"

I worked at Peterson’s full-time for more than a year

Pros

As you will read on in other reviews, the people WERE the best thing about this place. Talented, devoted, smart SMEs that worked together to overcome challenges. Most of them are gone now.

Cons

The new management came in thinking when they bought the company they were going to breeze in and change the culture to one of their liking, only we all know culture doesn’t change overnight. Their arrogance, however, blinded them to that and they let go upper management that was helping forge a new direction for the company, and SMEs that were the lifeblood of Peterson’s - leaving Jordan and Mo - with no subject... matter expertise and a penchant to “fail fast” - well they are failing fast with no sign of success anywhere in sight. They took a well known 50-yr old brand that still had a lot of positive connotations associated with it and turned it into a dumpster fire.

Advice to Management

Sell what you have left at a loss to whomever is willing to clean up what you’ve done.

Peterson’s2019-09-06

"New ownership after Nelnet have run the company into the ground!"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Peterson’s full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was always about the people

Cons

The new owners, traffic to the website has tanked, sales have tanked, partnerships have dried up

Advice to Management

None whatsoever - keep burning their own money

Peterson’s2019-09-04

September 5, 2019CEO

Hello. My name is Jordan Stolper. I am the CEO of Peterson's. I'm sorry you had a bad experience working at the company. If you'd like to discuss your comments feel free to email me directly - jordan.stolper@petersons.com.

"New Owners Mo and Jordan run companies into the ground without taking a single look back."

Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Peterson’s full-time

Pros

The employees who were here PRIOR to it being acquired by current owners, Jordan Stolper and Mo Lam through Triangle Digital Ventures.

Cons

Literally every single aspect as to how the company is managed and ran. The decision making process is done without any education and knowledge of the industry as a whole, let alone the products they are now extremely cheaply trying to produce. This transparency that has been claimed to be present in other reviews (which are more than blatantly obvious they have been written by one of the two owners) is about as... transparent as a brick wall, that has then been sealed with by concrete. JUST.RUN.

Advice to Management

Educate yourselves on the industry you are in. Learn about the products you are trying to market and sell. Cheap workers overseas are not the best answer if you want to uphold the quality of products and provide clientele (which should be your number one concern as without them, it doesn't matter how cheap the labor is, soon you will not need to worry about costs of labor at all considering this ship is SINKING and... FAST). Don't acquire a well established, long standing company and try to run it as a startup- your success to date = case and point (50% success rate of all business they have bought have done "ok", the other half have been bombarded and ran into the ground just like Peterson's is in the process of currently and the two owner, Mo Lam and Jordan Stolper have not look backed or cared about the companies they have destroyed, employees or their families who have worked for them or the client/consumer base in whatever realm they woke up and decided they wanted to buy a company in that day). When you ask for advice, at the VERY LEAST consider it, especially when it is coming from much more seasoned and knowledgeable professionals in this industry than yourselves. And probably just all around stop being business owners as your approach to running one is equivalent to that of an absolute crapshoot.

Peterson’s2019-07-23

September 5, 2019CEO

Hello. My name is Jordan Stolper. I am the CEO of Peterson's. I know going through a company restructuring can be difficult, but alas, as managers we have to make tough decisions to ensure the future of the business. I wish you well in your future endeavors.

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

I worked at Peterson’s full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None, literally none. Salary, benefits, team etc all trash.

Cons

I had the displeasure of working at this company for over a year once it was acquired by Triangle Digital Ventures a "capital venture firm" and "angel investor" (please note the use of quotes is quite deliberate). In that time Mo Lam and Jordan Stolper managed to take a business staying float, though in dire need of a boost, and submerge it completely underwater leaving it to drown. Their first mistake was... purchasing an 50 year old established company in a longstanding industry, two things they know nothing about. Their second mistake was applying their 'run and gun' 'fail fast startup mindset tactics to said company and then pivoting constantly and impulsively with no regard for consequences. Their greatest fault though is their inability to accept responsibility due to their unwavering arrogance. A broken clock is right twice a day but these two mistake that occasional accuracy for God like intuition...The refuse to listen to guidance and they literally turn a blind eye when the blowback inevitably hits them. Then they lie and cheat in an effort to manufacture a state of success when in reality it's a constant state of delusion. To trust these two with any of your money is to guarantee a lost investment. They are smart men but in very niched fields, neither of which apply to entrepreneurship or capital venture investments. To work for this company is to set your professional career up for failure. The salaries they offer are laughable and you will be joining the Titanic. Don't worry, they'll make sure to talk about their new pickup truck they're purchasing or the million dollar condo they're buying in Manahattan while they pay you pennies in comparison. They are unsympathetic and uncouth and not nearly as wise as they'd lead you to believe. I would be *highly* surprised if they don't sell the company off within the year and sell this newly crafted lemon they've created to the next chump.

Advice to Management

No point in offering advice to a management team that has proven they are incapable of listening, let alone introspection.

Peterson’s2019-07-05

July 15, 2019CEO

Wow! Sounds like you had a rough experience working at Peterson's. Unfortunately, restructuring a company for growth sometimes means having to lay people off. Wishing you all the best - Jordan Stolper, CEO.

7. "Solid company with lots of opportunity"

I worked at Peterson’s full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, clear goals laid out. No BS work environment. Team that is aligned and supportive of the company's goals. Lot's of opportunity for career development.

Cons

Some changes that have been put into place were hard for some to adapt to. New management team saw how to kick growth into high gear and had to make tough, but the right, decisions.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and keep providing the transparency to help folks understand where the company is heading.

Peterson’s2019-01-05
  8. "So far so good"

I have been working at Peterson’s full-time

Pros

I've been at Peterson's for about 4 months. Co-workers are friendly, easy to talk to. Management "owns it" - they are heavily involved in all parts of the business. I hear this is a lot different than under Nelnet, which was very hands off (people say it was like "sleepy hollow"). Responsibility and growth are there for the taking. I work hard but am done by 5 or 530.

Cons

Shared workspace can get annoying. No good places to eat nearby.

Advice to Management

More communication.

Peterson’s2018-06-18

"Great people, terrible new owners"

I worked at Peterson’s full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people who work hard.

Cons

Terrible owners who purchased the company in January 2018 and laid a lot of people off for BS reasons with no severage, some of these people had 8 to 10 years of service. The Peterson's you knew before January 2018 is a different one now.

Advice to Management

None -

Peterson’s2018-06-11

June 18, 2018CEO

My name is Jordan Stolper. I'm the CEO and an owner of Peterson's. I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns personally. I recognize that restructuring a business can be a painful and difficult process. My email is jordan.stolper@petersons.com and direct phone is 720-996-0805.

"New owners are both incompetent and dishonest"

I worked at Peterson’s full-time

Pros

A number of the honest, hardworking employees from previous ownership are still working there. The rank-and-file are truly great people.

Cons

The new owners (a two-man venture capitalist firm) are in over their heads. They lack just about everything necessary to successfully run Peterson's: * They do not understand the education industry, and have lost key business relationships * They do not know what is needed to support, maintain, and grow digital properties. Compounding this weaknesses is their arrogance and unwillingness to heed the advice of... experienced professionals on staff * They understand the traditional print publishing industry to an even lesser degree than digital * They do not believe in fostering trust and communication between teams or between ownership and workers. They have made numerous pronouncements since taking over that have proven to be outright lies Peterson's was a great place to work and I fear it will not even exist in 2 years time

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Do not actively sabotage their work or issue mindless ultimatums. Either learn what it means to actually create, maintain, and improve digital products or turn the authority over to folks who do. So far, you've only succeeded in creating a knowledge vacuum at the top of the company. Take time to learn the education business. Your ultimate goal should be helping students to find and... finance their educations. If you do this well, revenues increases will follow. Keep this in mind: You get what you pay for. Jettisoning knowledge and experience from your company is never a good long-term strategy. A mantra like, "We hire quickly and fire quickly," will result in things; none of them will be good. You are breeding an atmosphere of high turnover, huge knowledge gaps, zero company loyalty, and brand deterioration. Is that what you really want?

Peterson’s2018-04-10

May 30, 2018CEO

My name is Jordan Stolper. I co-led the acquisition of Peterson's from Nelnet, and am now the CEO of Peterson's. I am responsible for the company's overall strategy, culture, and performance. While I disagree with your characterization of the business and its management, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns. My email is jordan.stolper@petersons.com and my phone number is 720-996-0805.

Found 11 reviews