Petplan Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Petplan President and CEO Paul Guyardo
Paul Guyardo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from Home equipment and scheduled WFH days" (in 12 reviews)

• "Beautiful work environment with lots of perks including bring your pets work" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "The new leadership here is awful, it’s such a boys club" (in 4 reviews)

• "I would not recommend customer service for any form of insurance" (in 3 reviews)

"I really enjoy working here!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at Petplan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Dogs in the office of course!

-The People

-A laid back & casual environment

-An environment that allows us to ask questions, learn and grow professionally

-Working from home is not frowned upon

-Work / Life Balance!

-Fast paced

-A leadership team that listens and actually takes action on what they hear

-Company growth, big things happening!

-Yappy Hours!

Cons

-Growing Pains (a necessary evil)

-Deferred maintenance clean-up and distractions that disrupt the business

-Better pay for CS reps, they are our front line!

Advice to Management

-Keep being as transparent as you can be

-Keep providing opportunities for us to communicate with you

-Keep listening!

-Continue to engage and empower us

-All leadership members should interact more with various job levels/departments

-I can see the positive impact you are having on the business, keep pushing forward

"Change is good"

I have been working at Petplan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New leadership is actually working really hard to make this business do better than it has done in a long time. They share information with us and give straight answers. I feel like I'm part of a team that's finally winning and quite honestly, it's very inspiring.

Cons

There's a lot of staff movement right now because some people don't like change and others are just negative.

Advice to Management

Keeping us informed feels good so please keep doing it. Also remember haters are always gonna hate.

"No Pain No Gain!"

Pros

Company is on the right track for growth and opportunity. Greater transparency and clear mission promotes faster results. I feel challenged by this. I appreciate the pet friendly office, beautiful space and Kind bars available in the atrium kitchen.
    New employees are bringing fresh approaches to a growing business category.

Cons

Change, with new leadership can be hard at times. But, greater accountability, checking spending and open minded thinking will benefit us all long term.

"Great place to work for"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Petplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great in the office, it is a really fun place to work with a lot of really great people! The location is also great and the flexibility with hours is beneficial to a healthy work life balance. Everyone is very nice, extremely approachable and very helpful to one another in my department!

Cons

Company Communication could be the slightest bit better. But within my department there are no communication issues, we all work well as a team!

"Great People"

Current Employee - HM2
    Current Employee - HM2

I have been working at Petplan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with make it worth while

Cons

Pay could be better

Advice to Management

pay your customer service agents more

"Enjoyable place to work - great office space & culture"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at Petplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Petplan for two years and have overall really liked the experience. Pay and benefits are competitive. As a dog lover, no better office space in the area and I can bring my pup into work some days. Company seems on good trajectory.

Cons

It was a little turbulent with management changes, but now there's new leadership in place and they're good about sharing the strategy moving forward.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating the goals to your team and let me take my dog into the office every day!

"Great Company!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at Petplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A passionate & talented group of people. Great environment & culture. Tremendous opportunity for growth.

Cons

High growth environment & therefore not for those who are looking to mail it in

Advice to Management

Continue to stay focussed on all the initiatives that are driving the company's growth and continue to maintain a positive work culture

"No positive outlook"

Former Employee - Marketer
    Former Employee - Marketer

I worked at Petplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people left, but not many and they won't be there much longer.

Cons

Leadership is a boys club that believes Petplan should be your life since they all live in an apartment next to the office away from their families, so Petplan is their life. They micromanage a ton, so there is no room to be creative and they are driving out the current teams in order to replace them with agencies and other people who will follow them without question. There is definitely a lack of understanding that employees have family and you can read on Philly.com that this is a larger problem. They drove out a VP after she had a newborn because they never let her take uninterrupted parental leave because a VP needs to be accessible.

Advice to Management

Start to value your employees, treat them with respect, hire women, and actually empower them and pay them appropriately.

"Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Sq, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Sq, PA

I have been working at Petplan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home capabilities

Direct managers do seem to actually care about employees

Cons

It’s not secret that the culture has changed after the Ashtons were unseated from their positions (on take your kid to work day, no less...Awkward!) The board brought in all new upper management from outside the company and kept them as “consultants” for over a year. The new CEO and new management is all male and none seem to be pet lovers.

The shadiness of mapping long-standing policy holders into high deductible policies is unmeasurable. The majority of these people depend on us and we are letting them down. It’s unethical and icky.

We are denying claims for reasons we never have before without giving the policy holders a heads up.

Overall things are going downhill

Advice to Management

Stop acting like everything is fine and like your employees can’t sense what’s going on. It’s like when a kid knows their parents are going to get divorced before they’re told directly. The town hall meetings dont help.

Taking away the measly $50 holiday bonus was also a real kick in the teeth.

"Customer Service - Very poor experience"

Pros

Ample paid time off

The Office Manager

You acquire thicker skin

Work from Home equipment and scheduled WFH days

Cons

Unpaid lunch

Empathy guidelines feel forced and insincere

Growing in the company means Petplan adds bonuses to your paycheck, your base salary will not increase

Management made it a point to get the company employees to rally and cheer in the cafeteria after explaining their new concept of lowering coverage when a sick cat or dog was costing Petplan too much money.

I would not recommend customer service for any form of insurance. Tasks you will be assigned (inbound calls, email, etc.) are typically with a policyholder that has either a bill they need assistance with or a problem with Petplan (such as Petplan lowering their coverage or increasing their annual rate by an absurd number)

You will hate yourself after working here due to stress, on and off the clock. In my opinion, there was no breaking away from this. You will constantly have to explain claims denials, premium increases, the corners that Petplan cut, and so much more every single day. The thought of going into work every day drove me insane.

Advice to Management

There was no reason for Petplan to not provide a Christmas bonus at the end of 2018. Every year it's been a $50 bonus. $50! To strip away the smallest holiday bonus anybody has seen is the biggest slap in the face to your employees.

There is very little communication between departments, management, and employees.

Upstairs management is cliquey.