Petra Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Stewart

Pros
  • Casual dress code means jeans almost every day (in 8 reviews)

• Good people, Christian run business (in 6 reviews)

Cons

"I wish I could have done more to help the company be a better place to work."

Former Employee - Material Handler in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Edmond, OK

I worked at Petra Industries (More than a year)

Pros

the benefits are good. some of the people are nice people to work with. the pay was average. it was fun driving the smart- carts. that is really all I can say about the pro side of the company.

Cons

there are actually no moral values or intergrity like they claim,, you do not get recognized for what you know and can do for the company,,, you do not get to grow with the company unless you know someone or are related to there,,,,,,they do not beleive in people who actually work hard and are good at what they do. that was my expereince with that company I was with them for a year and 5 months as a full time employee.

Advice to Management

recongnize the hard workers for what they are worth! Be an actual boss not try and be friends first. that is the biggest mistake at most companies. There are great hardworking people out there that deserve to be treated better. And actually listen to the people that acutally do the work ,take heed to their concerns!

"Look elsewhere, trust me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Petra Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy several of my coworkers, which is far and away the only enjoyable part of my day. Aside from that, the cons have taken over.

Cons

You're either upper management, or you're a nobody. All of upper management, mostly, grew up within the company, and lacks knowledge of how things should really work. Lots of shady stuff is happening. I don't want to get into rumors, so I will leave it at that. No opportunity to advance, from my current position, my pay sucks for my workload, benefits are the worst I've seen, and over the last year or so, morale has been in the dumpster. This is a job for me, not a career.

Advice to Management

If you're not going to pay me or promote me, when I'm one of the most valuable people you have on the team, especially after multiple people have left, can you see how that could kill my morale? So many people are unhappy. If you don't see that, you're horribly out of touch, and we're all in trouble.

"Cancerous Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

I worked at Petra Industries full-time

Pros

There are GOOD people here. In all departments there are amazing individuals that have impacted my life for the better.
    Casual dress code is a plus and hours for office employees aren't bad.

Cons

My first couple years were spent fully invested into the company and I gave 100%. They asked me to jump and I did. I couldn't understand why former employees left and developed such a negative outlook on the company I loved. Over time, my rose colored glasses came off and I started to see things for what they were.

It started when I saw how the executives spoke to employees and treated them if things weren’t going so well and the “bull’s eye” of sales wasn’t being met. Management didn’t protect their employees and would be the first to point the finger at their employees if something went wrong. Job security is a joke there. At any given point, you could become the victim of a witch hunt. The key to success at Petra is truly flying under the radar. If you desire to move up and be successful this company is not for you. If you merely want a job that you can coast along then consider this a good 8-5, get your paycheck job and go home place.

The CEO is so stuck in his ways and has his head in the clouds not realizing what it takes to run a successful company that retains long term employees who invest themselves into his company.
    My take away from working there is that this company is stuck in the age where woman didn’t have a voice and in order to stay successful they will quickly clean out the woman that show any sort of threat to their boys club mentality. Sure there are a few women that work there that have managed success but to who’s expense? And if they actually believe they can hold their own against this powerhouse of egotistical, self-serving, misogynist and pompous men…. they are lying to themselves. Eventually you will also be replaceable if you get in the way of the men leading the charge. It’s a wonder how this company hasn’t had lawsuit after lawsuit considering how discriminatory they are toward woman.

If you work there still, just be aware and don’t believe the butterflies you are having if you are still new. If you are a woman, know this… you are a second class citizen at Petra. Once you leave Petra, like me, you will realize what a cancerous place that company is. If you are lucky you will work for managers that listen to you and care about your growth. You will experience true guidance and possibilities for healthy movement within your company. You also might experience that if you leave a healthy company you aren’t shunned for leaving but praised for expanding your career opportunities. There are healthy companies out there that can rehabilitate you after your experience at Petra where you can grow and be successful and not fear for your job or what witch hunt is coming next. Believe what you want, but they don’t care about you. You will see that the Petra is not gleaming with integrity like it brags and no matter how many times you hear it, and it’s certainly not built on Christian values.

Advice to Management

Perhaps take a hard look at yourself and what you have in front of you. Customer signs your paycheck? Who keeps the customer coming back? The employees you have working there. ALL OF THEM. There is no single part of the body that is more important than the other. Treat your employees with respect, listen to them, and learn from them. Don’t continue to build your successes by stepping on the backs of those who give you 100%.

5. "Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

Pros

Good people, Christian run business

Cons

Not much freedom. No warning of openings to current employees for promotion.

Advice to Management

Give employees some freedom

6. "Good people, great culture"

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Petra Industries (Less than a year)

Pros

The work culture here can't be topped. Love the family vibe. It's hard to get fired from here. As long as you do your job, you'll be fine. Plus free donuts every Friday, you can't go wrong.

Cons

No business is perfect. You'll see typical conflicts in the workplace.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Petra Industries (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to build great relationships with retail and ecommerce accounts as well as a myriad of vendors across all channels. Yoy can build your personal brand in sales and learn the details if you're new to the CE industry or distribution.

Cons

Micro managing and paranoid upper management. You will never get paid what you're truly worth if you're bringing in consistent business, comp the industry for same position. It's a do as I say, not as I do company. They frown on exceptional underlings. Do NOT sign their no compete disguissed as a non disclosure. They will stick it to you, if you're important enough to their business and exit in order to seek better opportunity. (However they'll never give you that credit, except for maybe a lawsuit).

Advice to Management

It would fall on deaf ears. Repent daily, I guess.

"Petra Industries"

Former Employee - E-Commerce Sales Coordinator in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - E-Commerce Sales Coordinator in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Petra Industries (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here for 3 years.The Pros are Laid back work environment(no dress code, Weekends off, Good people

Cons

Cons:Unfair nonsensical hiring practices from managment. Inexperienced, newly hired Sales Coordinators make more than Senior Coordinators who have more experience and skill. Also, expensive benefits.

Advice to Management

Work on developing and rewarding the talent your have already before hiring people who don't know what they are doing.

"The Last Straw"

Former Employee - Manifest Operator in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Manifest Operator in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Petra Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got paid on time every week and the job was easily understandable. Good experience for 1st time job seekers

Cons

Disrespectful supervisors are kept for years and since they sleep with HR, nothing is done. Supervisors make fun of hard workers in front of them, spread rumors and tell confidential business to their favorites.
    HR don't answer phone unless lawyers are involved.
    If you have the most experience, have proved yourself to your boss and he quits after promoting you, HR WILL NOT give you any paperwork to sign.
    Instead, they will give your promotion to the new hires you have trained and tell you to prove yourself again.
    If you attempt to apply for another position, the supervisor will not let you and then hire his friend who's been fired there before.
    They took away the money incentives for being on time and added a point system instead to get you fired.
    They constantly changed the start times last minute or not give a notice at all to cause people to be late.
    I scored on average 4.8 out of 5 on my reviews and the highest raise I got was $0.55

Advice to Management

If you're still experimenting with the company after 30 years then maybe you need to listen to some common sense from your employees or get out of the business.
    Moving a company to a facility that's only working bathroom that looks like it hasn't been cleaned since it was built, is not a smart move. Neither is not having any fans in the middle of summer or air conditioning in the break room.
    When you buy new equipment or systems, know what your spending your money on and please try before you buy.
    The image of the executive management team asking "what does this equipment do?" does not appear to have done any research on what they bought.
    Having the employees train their supervisors and 90% of the new hires only to be told that they aren't qualified to be a team lead is a misrepresentation of their skills that you freely used at your convenience but threw away when you were all trained up. This was THE LAST STRAW and the reason I left.
    Do not lie to your employees, they are not stupid. Treat them with respect and consideration. Don't hire new people and promote them over the ones who have always supported you.
    Do not force people to go to dinners to encourage them to "hang out" with each other. It defeats the purpose.
    And if you say you want to show your appreciation to your employees, instead of feeding us a meal at a random, give out cash, (that's why we all show up to work) don't have a raffle, include everyone.
    Thank you.

"THOSE POSITIVE REVIEWS ARE LIES AND DECEIT!!!! NO JOB SECURITY AND SLAVE LABOUR!!!!!"

Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Edmond, OK

I worked at Petra Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At least they paid you on time.
    The DC level supervisors are cool.

Cons

Corrupt leaders and an inability to plan ahead past a 3 year olds financial intellect. DEADLY!!! working conditions in the "New" distribution center and heavy lifting equipment that should have been decommissioned or replaced years ago. I got hired full time only 9 months ago (31MAR-31DEC) and petra chewed me up and spit me out (way to treat a veteran) thanks to the workload and unsafe conditions I now have multiple joint and muscle problems added onto the problems I had after I got out of the army (4 years as an 11B) the leadership treats you as paid servants and doesn't even have the common decency to have plumbers come and fix the months old clogged toilets. Training consists of a crash course in what you do and then you are left to your own devices and hopefully you don't break or mess anything up otherwise it's your problem. Recently the facility has had to lay off most of its workers because of their "over-predictions for staffing for the peak season" even though I was there before peak AND tricked me into working hard for them in the hopes of a rewarding career. And then surprising people before the holidays with unemployment and despair on how to survive. The entrenched "leadership" there only looks out for themselves and no one else. beware if you come here. If the remaining employees there had any sense they would unionize.

Advice to Management

Lose the corruption in the higher ranks and try to think of your employees as more than just "peasants". Get financial planners that are actually good at what they do instead of giving commissions to your cronies so you don't destroy a young persons hopes for the future just for a few extra bucks. Take a good look at yourselves and the company's around you for examples. Listen to the professionals who you hired instead of what YOU think you should do.

"Lawsuit"

Current Employee - Sales in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Sales in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Petra Industries (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is close to my house.

Cons

A lawsuit has been filed against Petra by an employee. A women who had a miscarriage was told" the reason you lost your baby that your fat". This is standard behavior for the most disputable company in Edmond.

Advice to Management

You are a disgrace to the City of Edmond. We are tired of the harrassment, violence, lies from your company. Petra is the worst thing to happen to Edmond.