Petroleum Traders Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Michael B. Himes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company - Run Like a Tight Ship"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent facility and co-workers
    Provides the tools to get the job done
    Good benefits and decent pay

Cons

Clocking in and out for someone who isn't used to it takes some getting used to. This seems to have been implemented for the least common denominator.

"If you work in sales, run, don't walk, from PTC"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Potential (and I stress the word potential) to make a lot of money.
    -Above average facilities.
    -The sales team is made up of really good people.

Cons

-Obsessed with phone time. They require 3 hours of phone time per day. I can't begin to tell you how antiquated and counterproductive this is. Reps literally waste time during phone conversations just so they can get to 3 hours and avoid the humiliation of getting chewed out by management. This time could be spent so much more productively, but when the company is motivated by fear, you spend your time just trying to avoid it.
    -Policies out the wazoo. You'd think you're entering a prison, not a professional work situation. I'm surprised bathroom breaks aren't monitored. We're talking inane policies, like the number and type of picture frames you can have on your desk. It's comical...until you get written up or suspended.
    -Clocking in and out. Your time is managed down to the minute. You cannot work 1 minute over 40 hours per week. You can't clock in early or stay late, if you want to get some extra work done and make a few more sales. They watch this like a hawk.
    -Training is a joke. This business is so complicated and they just try to cram it down your throat within 2 weeks and then put you on the phones. The training isn't relevant to sales, so be prepared to feel totally lost.
    -The owner. There's enough about him in these reviews to inform you about him. He's recently given up operational control of the company...to his wife. You'll walk on eggshells around these people so as not to upset them, which is very easy to do.
    -There is no sales process or goals. Basically, you're on your own here. You have no direction besides, "just talk on the phone all day and sell stuff. We're not going to help you with this at all, but if you fail we'll fire you very quickly."
    -Lots of big promises about how much money you can make, but you need to know it will take years to achieve substantive commission, not months. Even if you've been a top rep elsewhere, trust me...this is a whole different ball of wax.
    -I had a security camera directly over my desk. I can't figure out why it would be there except that they just don't trust their employees. It's the oddest thing.
    -Mistrust is rampant. That's the bottom line to everything at PTC. You will not be trusted as an adult or to make any adult decisions.
    -Interdepartmental relationships are toxic. To make a sale, your customer has to pass a very high (and quite frankly, ridiculous) credit standard. The credit department is resentful of the sales department and very tough to deal with. You have to deal with the freight department, the supply department, the tax department, customer set ups, accounts receivable, bids...the list goes on and on and on. You, as an individual rep, have to manage all of these relationships yourself...you are on your own. You spend as much time pleading your case internally as you do selling externally. Except that you have a 3 hour phone requirement every day, so you can't spend too much with these strange internal politics. Back on the phone for some more small talk, instead!
    -Small thing but I think this informs a lot about the culture of PTC: Employees are assigned weeks to clean the break room. This is a billion dollar revenue company, but they have their employees clean the break room.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't know where to begin. Things need to be restructured from the ground up. Hire a sales consultant and have them rebuild the thing...it's a mess. Your reps cannot have the phone time requirement on them and also be expected to manage these internal relationships...why would you even want them to? There needs to be an intermediary.

New leadership (and I don't mean a finance guy or an attorney) needs to impress across the company that this is a SALES organization. Sales are the lifeblood...but instead they're treated like second class citizens.

"Sincere review from successful employee"

Former Employee - Sales in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Sales in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay can be very lucrative, especially if you work in sales. The campus is new and beautiful. The job itself can be very interesting and can make your days go by very quickly.

Cons

Management at PTC completely dismisses Glassdoor reviews as just being disgruntled employees who couldn't cut it at PTC. You might think that's the case, but just know that I made it for numerous years at PTC as a very high performer. I left on my own terms and in good standing. My last couple of years at PTC weren't so bad, but only after you're established with 3-4 years under your belt do things get slightly more comfortable. I'm going to tell you how this job is for new employees, because if you're reading this it's likely you're considering a position at PTC and you won't have any comfort coming in. This review is particularly geared to those looking in to sales positions.

The job itself is extremely complex (this is putting it lightly. Trust me, this job is really hard, even if you've been successful in other sales positions) and the training is comical. It's gotten better over the years, but to learn even a little of what you need to know to be successful at PTC would take a lot more than 1-2 weeks of dumping information on new hires. It's likely that your trainer won't even know everything about the position. This can set you up for failure.

Understanding the dozens and dozens of pages of policies and procedures is daunting as well. As you get acclimated to the fact that there's a rule and a punishment for every single move you make as a employee, you'll wonder if you're entering the military or a professional organization. That continues throughout your first few years on the floor, where you'll be constantly monitored and criticized. I've worked for numerous companies in multiple industries, and I've never seen a place so distrusting of its employees. It's astonishing. There are security cameras everywhere, including over your desk. Why could that be? Solely to catch employees doing something "wrong." You'll be threatened with unpaid suspension or even a work-day suspension...kind of like in-school suspension in high school. You are not treated as a successful adult with a solid work background and a hard-earned college education, but rather as a high-school student who might violate any of the rules the owner has set, like having your cell phone out anywhere in the building.

Clocking in and out doesn't sound like a big deal, but once you realize the forms of punishments associated with the policy it's truly a joke. Clocking in early or late results in "occurences." How early and how late, you ask? 2 minutes. That's it, a whole 2 minute buffer. And in sales, you must work 40 hours per week--on the dot. No more, no less, which means you have to clock in exactly on the dot every time. Think maybe you'll have a chance to work late some night so you can make some more sales? Think again, because you're told to clock out and leave the building the minute your shift ends. On a sales call when your shift ends? Wrap it up fast or you'll be reprimanded.

Get too many occurrences and your pay can be reduced, you can be suspended for a day or a week with no pay (imagine the idea of a manager having to suspend an employee for a day because they were tardy. It's juvenile and I've never seen a workplace even threaten that).

All communications are monitored and if you're caught (again, "caught," as if you're a child) making any personal communication, you will be reprimanded.

Your performance will be constantly criticized. You're working in sales, so that's to be expected. But this is normal criticism, this is straight intimidation and fear.

You'll get 40 hours of vacation time, which isn't much. But it's even less once you realize that it's the only time off you'll be allowed to take. If you get sick for a day, cancel your vacation, because you'll have to use 8 hours of your PTO for the sick day. Once you run out of PTO, then don't get sick! Because then you'll have to take an unpaid day, which also counts as an unexcused absence (yes, like high school). An unexcused absence can lead to a suspension, a reduction of pay or even termination.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract the best talent, especially in sales, you need to loosen things. Sales people naturally have egos and big personalities, which you should encourage. Instead, you try to stifle any kind of individuality and pigeon hole everyone. Your employees shouldn't live in fear. Production would increase tremendously if you just gave people latitude to work in their style. Your concern is that if you let off, even a little, people will take advantage of that. Your employees are not children, so why do you treat them that way?

It's time to bring in some human resources consultants who will show you what an actual company is run like. But until the owner is gone, things will never change.

"Often a freightening workplace for many employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is fair or better for all positions. Parties are fun and employees are mostly good people. A lot is expected of you while on the clock but I believe that is a positive.

Cons

Upper anagement can be extremely hateful and even scary at times. If you cannot handle being screamed at (in any role) do not work here. I'm used to it now.

Advice to Management

Calm down, your employees work in terror and fear of losing their jobs on a daily basis.

5. "Great Education"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've read a lot about the "wild antics" of the self-made man who started this amazing company, but personally, I find his leadership inspirational. Yes, employees are expected to complete their jobs, but many of my coworkers who complain about this company are speaking from false egos. This is more than a job; there are invaluable lessons to learn from its CEO and to those of you who fail to take advantage of the knowledge and expertise the CEO imparts are just merely stagnant employees and I wish you well in your next endeavor.

Cons

Criticism from your employer should not be taken ad-hominem. Remove your ego and you will succeed here.

"Current Full Time Employee"

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time

Pros

I know that many people have a problem with the owner and management. I find it to be the opposite. I worked for a large national company. Nothing like trying to voice your thoughts/opinions to improve your job and department, only to have them tell you no thank you. Or we are working on that, and nothing comes of it. Here at Petroleum Traders, your thoughts and ideas are at least thought of and considered. You aren't just some other number in a large corporate conglomerate.

The training isn't perfect, but if you are a hands on learner like myself, then its perfect.

The pay is right where I expect it to be for what I do. Yes I work 40 hours and some overtime. That doesn't mean i should be paid what a manager should. I do feel and see a path to move up in the company if I do choose so. It requires what a lot of the negative review people didn't want to do, which is hard work. This company has been around for over 35 years. Its been doing something right to be that old and still going strong. You can take my review for what its worth or just think I'm making it up. What ever, not worried, because tomorrow I'll get up and know that i still have a job at a great place that won't be going out of business any time soon. Not sure you can say the same about businesses in Fort Wayne such as GE, BAE, Swiss Re, Lincoln Life, and others, and yes I choose those businesses because they have either left Fort Wayne, have down sized or laid people off. Haven't seen that with Petroleum Traders.

Also there is no gift card for writing this review, this is pure pride in my place of work.

Cons

Its fast pace, can be stressful. But like others have said rewarding at the end of the day to know your job is important to the operation of the company.

Benefits could be better, but again i could be unemployed or worse yet, on Obama Care.

"Business Development / Contract Sales (LJC)"

Former Employee - Business Development/Contract Sales in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Business Development/Contract Sales in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Petroleum Traders Corporation is a great place to learn the wholesale fuel business. You get experience in all forms of fuel sales, government, commercial, wholesale, and some financial derivative sales. They pay for performance if you do your job and excel, you will get what you deserve.

Cons

It is hard work. This business is not for the weak hearted. This is not to scare people, work is hard. If you are a worker then this will not bother you.

Advice to Management

Trust people to make the right decisions for the business.

"Think Twice"

Former Employee - Freight Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Freight Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some positions within this company are better paying compared to similar positions with other companies in the city and the (some) of the decor is appealing.

Cons

if you are thinking about a position with this company, think twice or three times or however many times until you finally say I think I'll pass. It's a culture like I have not seen anywhere, and I bring over 20 years of experience to the table. Whatever cries lustrous about this company, trust me, there are hundreds of other reasons (employees) crying something else.

Advice to Management

start practicing within Federal guidelines, and not your own. Also, stop making decisions based on whether or not you 'like' a person. You're not newcomers to this game, but you would be much more favorable if you treated your staff based on their dedication and the job they do verses pitting employees and departments against one another.

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Financially strong company
    * No reduction/layoff expereinced since employed here for 7+ years
    * Growing company
    * Building reflects that of a large corporation, but comradery reflects of a small business
    * Constant shifting market makes the days go by fast
    * Each day provides some sense of accomplishment

Cons

* Constant market movement can be very stressful yet rewarding
    * Industry is very demanding at times

Advice to Management

Continue to strive on placing employees in the role that best compliments their strengths while filling the need for the company

10. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Sales in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time

Pros

Hard to think of many. The building is nice. The cars the CEO drives are really nice and fun to see what he pulls up in every day.

Cons

Where do I start? This place is nuts. I'm currently looking to change jobs and I've only been here for less than a year. I can't believe how insane this is. I've worked at WalMart in high school and had better management and leadership.

Advice to Management

Give up your desires for control. Support and affirm the work your people do for you.