Pets at Home "20 discount" Reviews | Glassdoor

Pets at Home Employee Reviews about "20 discount"

Updated Sep 3, 2019

2.9
Pets at Home CEO Peter Pritchard  (no image)
Peter Pritchard
Pros
Cons
  • "Smelling like Animals takes a while to wash off(in 59 reviews)

• "Seems like anyone above store manager level is hiding away (area managers - what is going on(in 24 reviews)

Reviews about "20 discount"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "colleague review"

Current Employee - Colleague

I have been working at Pets at Home part-time for more than a year

Pros

working with pets and 20% discount

Cons

big divide between managers and colleagues

Pets at Home2019-09-03

"Becoming an increasingly bad place to work."

Current Employee - Store Colleague in Brighton, England

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

We often have a laugh at work, sometimes get to work with animals, a lot of training, 20% staff discount. Tiny 20p pay rises for completing certain training.

Cons

Company wide ban on full time contracts, extremely low wages for the amount of knowledge required for the job, we're expected to have a wealth of knowledge about almost all domestic animals, trained in nutrition, basic veterinary stuff, and part time school teachers and still only paid minimum wage. Ridiculously un-achievable company targets, bullying emails from higher management piling on the pressure to achieve... targets, belittling emails when we don't achieve them. Quite often you have to deal with horrible, self entitled customers with no regard for animal welfare. This job will give you horrible anxieties.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider paying staff a higher wage, reintroduce full time contracts and be realistic with company targets, because all these things are taking their toll on everyone's mental health. No one can afford their mortgages / rent / raising families etc on 16 hour contracts on minimum wage.

Pets at Home2019-04-20
  3. "My time at Pets at Home"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Pets at Home part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Working with animals, sense of pride and fulfilment from looking after and selling them daily - Small(ish) team means you can get to know everyone within the team, allows for a more personal level - Very easy progression into higher positions, you can very easily become and expert on a specific pet area or an assistant manager within 2-3 years - Lots of individual benefits you don't see in many companies, 20%... discount, paid day off if a pet dies, paid day off when you get married, paid day of if your child has their first day at school, one paid charity day per year, and many more - Most stores have very flexible shifts, meaning no week is the same, good for some people, not so for others.

Cons

- Favouritsm does seem to be a big issue within many pets at home stores, as your team is very small, managers tend to pick favourites, although this depends on the store manager. - As of when posting this review, hours seem to be getting cut a lot, meaning less available shifts. - Could be a pro or a con, depending on your situation, but the shifts are very varied, being on a 20 hour contract myself, some weeks I... do 40+ and others it's 20 exactly, makes for a very flexible income, per month wages can vary by £400 at times - Very high standards around pets, if you do not care for, or take pride in your work around them, then be warned, despite your perception of the company, or who you are, mess up around animal welfare and it will be noticed - They do expect you to work hard, sometimes too much then what's feesible, although it's not constant like some other jobs, it is worth noting

Advice to Management

Overall, all the stores I've seen, seem to be mostly good and do a great job, as a business overall, we need to try our hardest not to pick favourites, it happens all too often where people are treated far too differently, especially when it comes to mistakes. Apart from that, I'd say this company is a well rounded and decent place to work for

Pets at Home2018-11-21

"Gone downhill"

Former Employee - Store Colleague

I worked at Pets at Home full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Helping customers with queries and them leaving satisfied and also getting 20% discount and not a lot else to put for this

Cons

Well where do i start its seriously gone downhill in the 8 years I was there it's no longer pets before profit only care about sales and hitting targets and are constantly worried about the future by cutting back and saving money where they can . Management don't give a monkeys about colleagues welfare and force them into corners and blackmailing them by reducing hours, or A&C's if they don't do what they are... told. Everyone doesn't get paid enough to take abuse from customers and all levels of management then they wonder why colleague turnover is high or why sickness is high due to stress related sickness. Store managers are unprofessional who only care about clicks and laughing and joking with colleagues which usually results in bullying other colleagues through WhatsApp sometimes even with other store managers and also they only care about partying and getting pissed at the annual store managers conference. Everyone is forced to like store pages on social media which is fine if you want to but if you don't then you get no choice as you can't switch off even after work or on holiday.

Advice to Management

Treat colleagues with respect and treat them well, then they will look after and treat customers with respect. Get rid of social media groups like WhatsApp pages in stores and get rid of social media groups if the customer wants to come into store to shop then they will.

Pets at Home2018-05-14
  5. "average salary"

Former Employee - Buying Assistant in Handforth, England

I worked at Pets at Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

good working environment, benefits, 20% staff discount, good working hours

Cons

salary below average, progression isnt as good as you would be lead to believe.

Pets at Home2018-03-12
  6. "Fab place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Handforth, England

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere in the Support Office is very relaxed and fun, one of the best things about working here are the people, everyone is very friendly and helpful. You can also take your dog into the office which is fab. There are loads of events and activities throughout the year that are put on for the office, engagement is something that is really focused on which creates a really good feel. There are plenty of... benefits offered such as bonus, extra holiday if you get married/move house etc and 20% discount for colleagues across the whole group.

Cons

I don't have any cons

Pets at Home2018-03-01

"Slave"

I worked at Pets at Home for more than a year

Pros

The People you work with are amazing and care for the Animals in our care. You do get the opportunity to expand your knowledge within the company. (To a point) A pretty good hourly rate and a 20% staff discount To a point the management did recognise your efforts.

Cons

The training system is quite frankly a joke. It has improved but not by much. Management claim pets before profits but you are treated with an A and C (advice and counciling) If you don’t perform to there ridiculous sales standards. It’s not good enough that you turn up and perform if you don’t comply to the ever expanding list of expectations. Loyalty card sign ups and scan rates ,orders in store. Flea treatment... sign ups by monthly direct debit when there is hardly ever a qualified person in store to be able to do that. Fish for opinions we are obliged to get as many as we can and each customer needs to give us a 9 or a 10 out of 10 for it to count. When we are moaned at for spending too much time with a customer when selling a pet or discussing nutrition . We also have to beg for their opinion. We are also encourage to lie on our online question sheet about our thoughts on the company? Suppose to be anonymous but you need to sign in to complete it so it’s clearly not! Management gain your sign in details too and sign you in before you start....The Pet pad is a work in progress and needs improving. Some stores are open till 10 which is ridiculous you hardly get much custom after 8:30 it’s only done to please the Vets we happen to share a unit with because they can’t be bothered to come down and open the door and the magement team didn’t think it through when signing on the dotted line. They keep moving the goalposts on the animal care. Have made changes but once again not thought it through beforehand. Working hours Change and the rota can be adjusted without your prior knowledge. Leaving you turning up late or early for a shift. Took me over a year to guarantee my 2 days off and even at the end one of those days was ‘negotiable’ half hour unpaid lunch fair enough but that’s on an 8 hour shift , should be entitled to an hour but then that would leave another collegue waiting or an empty shop floor, (if you work 6 hours you get nothing) and you have to wait in line so you could potentially have a lunch an hour before your shift ends. . A toilet break if your lucky on a 6 hour. The collegue room is also the managers office so if a meeting is going on you can’t gain access and sometimes have to lunch in the rain and a coffee is completely out of the question.

Advice to Management

Give your loyal staff a break. They deal with everything that is thrown at them and you throwing more at them is both stressful and counter productive. The stores make money don’t belittle the team ! Think things through before making decisions. Eg new bottles (ha complete joke) and veg? Why can’t the Rabbits have a bit of veg anymore?

Pets at Home2018-02-04

"Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly close knit teams 20% Discount Working with animals

Cons

Can be long hours Lots of training that takes months and sometimes seems unstructured

Pets at Home2017-12-06

"One star is pushing it"

Former Employee - Store Colleague

I worked at Pets at Home full-time for more than a year

Pros

- 20% discount - regular customers who come back to see you and recognise your face - meeting new pets

Cons

I don’t even know where to start... I could do an entire book about how awful of this place it is, it’s nothing like it used to be at all. - majority of the staff are bullies (management too) - didn’t care much about mental health unless you were a favourite - suffered from severe panic attacks (a few months after I started I only got them whilst at work?! Since I’ve left I haven’t had one since) - animals are... kept in poor conditions and false information is given out to customers who want to buy a pet, not everyone is trained beyond standards - they mention good quality training but even the newbies who have recently joined still don’t know anything about selling pets. (They’ve been there for 3 months now, so they’re going to feel/be useless to the company until trained) - management have favourites so it’s difficult to open up to them when you’re feeling low or need something to be dealt with (they don’t resolve anything either way) - promoted a store colleague to key holder within a space of a month of 2 year’s of working there to an assistant manager because she was a favourite and bribed her with a bigger pay to stay which ended up being more than the other assistant manager who actually applied for that position - understaffed - lots of unpaid hours unaccounted for - made to stay after work hours or come in on our days off (or even holidays if not abroad!) every 4 weeks for a “shoal” which we are supposed to get paid for but we don’t and they can last up to at least 3+ hours - unorganised management, never agree on anything or work as a team - majority of the extra paid benefits stated in the application form are a lie and they don’t give you that extra money - being unpaid because managers don’t look at the right rota with the correct hours and put them in incorrectly - pets are definitely not before profit - all they care about is KPIs and embarrass you by making you ask every single customer if they have a VIP card and wanting to sign up even the regulars you know will say no - the whole entire team got threatened an A&C whilst at a shoal because we didn’t care to stay behind and be PUNISHED (by far the most disgusting thing that I have ever had to experience) - illegal hours, working 11:15-8:30/9.00 shift for an early 6-3 shift the next morning and the managers didn’t care when spoke up about it - one particular colleague (another manager favourite) gets away with not going on tills, selling pets, doing any shop floor work and only dosses about in the warehouse because he got “promoted” a title that doesn’t even exist (Warehouse manager) but happily takes advantage of doing whatever he wants and always given 40+ hours a week when there are much better colleagues with great worth ethics who deserve those extra hours - Q and ISO rooms are very small and cramped with animals, always a full room with sick animals in ISO with untrained colleagues to deal with zoonotic conditions such as ringworm - witnessed staff holding legs of hamsters and throwing them in their cage outback instead of holding them properly in their hands because they weren’t risking to get bitten - staff don’t do their daily fish routines and sign for it anyway so when you go to do it there’s a lot of dead and sick fish that are not taken out or dealt with - rota gets changed without being told but you get the blame for not checking every second of the day - for all the knowledge and training we are provided we don’t get paid enough - I opened up about my mental health, the bullying etc to the managers and was told “there’s nothing we can do about it because there’s not enough proof to do anything.” Yet here has been multiple of staff members complaining about the same thing give even one individual spoke aloud at a shoal about it all and still isn’t “enough proof”. - they don’t solve any issues with the staff and will defend their favourites even when they know they are bullying other staff members There is a lot more points I can make but I really don’t recommend working here at all. It’s very unlikely you’ll get a full time job and even then if they given you more than your contracted hours be aware that they’ll give randomly put your hours down and be stuck to it. They seem like a nice store of the outside but when experiencing it in the inside for over a year it’s absolutely disgusting.

Advice to Management

I tried to speak up but they don’t listen. There is no advice I can give at this point, they are useless.

Pets at Home2018-01-05

"A Company Based On Lies"

Current Employee - Store Colleague in London, England

I have been working at Pets at Home part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with animals, meet new people all the time, satisfaction of helping customers and their animals also 20% staff discount

Cons

Constantly put under immense pressure by management to hit 'KPI's' because the company decided to go into the stock market. Given small contracts only to suit the companies needs. No thought given for colleagues when they decide to slash your hours without warning or explanation. Made to feel embarrassed by constantly pressurising customers to sign up to a 'VIP' card which half of the time when they do sign up they... never receive their card or they get the wrong vouchers completely I.e vouchers for cat food when on their sign up form they have clearly stated they only have a dog. Very long hours, expected to stay back on promo changeovers if your not finished in time giving no warning at all so if you've made plans for after work you better cancel them. Pay is appalling. Expected to sit through recruitment evenings and score potential new colleagues then when you try and give your opinion to management they don't listen and do what they want to do. Also your expected to preach the pets at home values to these potential new colleagues when you know they are a complete farce and full of lies. Management spend a lot of time in the office constantly talking, on their phones and making themselves cups of tea and coffee while your expected to work huge deliveries, serve the customers and sell animals. Management also hate answering the bells for assistance most of the time they will let it ring 3-4 times before deciding to answer it leaving you to say sorry to the customers who have been waiting for 10 minutes to see somebody or be served. Visits by area mangers and top brass are a complete farce. Stores are given clot of prior notice so when these people turn up they only get to see what they want to see. They don't see what everyday life is like in store. Also don't expect them to give you a second glance. If your lucky you will get and quick and awkward hello out of some of them before being walked around the store by the management team again seeing only what they want to see. No chance for advancement or to higher contracts it doesn't matter how hard you work. Pets Before Profit is a complete and utter lie I've seen first hand on countless occasions pet welfare being breached and reported it to management who refused to act on it. As long as the store is hitting KPI targets colleagues pets and customers really don't matter at all. Started off a great company and now it's an utter joke. I would avoid working here!

Advice to Management

Learn to care more for your staff, customers and pets rather then your KPI targets. Realise your colleagues have lives and needs and priorities and not all of these are going to be Pets At Home. If a colleague reports what they think is an issue investigate it even if you don't think it worthwhile you gain the respect that way.

Pets at Home2017-12-08