Pets at Home Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Pets at Home Group CEO Ian Kellett
Ian Kellett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working with animals, charity drives (in 19 reviews)

• There was a great team working and a very supportive store manager (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Seems like anyone above store manager level is hiding away (area managers - what is going on (in 16 reviews)

• Poor conditions long hours, lack of training (in 13 reviews)

1. "Working at Pets at Home was okay - plenty of chance to grow within the company, but not very fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was fine working here - coworkers were very nice, and management was very fair, plenty of emphasis on team bonding

Cons

It can get a little boring sometimes - there are no enticements to get you to stay, or work harder, you are just viewed as a replaceable part of a large team

Advice to Management

Better communication with all levels of staff

2. "Could of been better"

Former Employee - Store Colleague in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Pets at Home part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customers and you can really build relationships with them. I worked there for 2 years. Always the animals also!!!

Cons

Bullying was the main reason for me leaving. Managers don't sort out things or just tell you they can't do anything about it. I had to suffer and finally left. I miss working with this company but I wish they employed better people as the team does not work well together

Advice to Management

Sort out fights/ maybe control the bullying in store.
    Choose better colleagues that personalitys do not clash.

3. "Good job, badly paid"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Harlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Harlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training and development on animal related knowledge. Eg. Specialist courses, SQP (medicines) etc
    Working with animals
    Very diverse role
    Training your team
    Every day something new
    Great care and veterinary treatment for all animals in store and adoption centre

Cons

Pay is bad for assistant managers - with colleagues earning almost the same. Managers don't get paid overtime, even though it is expected of you.
    Constantly understaffed, causing everyone stress, unable to get the best out of your team, time to train them etc.

Advice to Management

Allocate more store hours so we can give our customers and teams the best

4. "Used to be a great place to work but lots has changed."

I worked at Pets at Home full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are great, supportive, and friendly in general. Animals around the office help with creating a relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

The company lives by its past credits, not how it is run today. Management give no direction and often disagree leaving colleagues confused and unsure what to do next. Lots of people leaving the business for various reasons including, over worked and under appreciated, not trusted to do your role, expected to work on good will alone. They talk a very good talk but struggle to live upto what they have said. Company values sound brilliant but the culture does not live up to any of them . No progression.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people who work hard for you rather than actively working against them before everyone gets tired and gives up.

5. "Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good discount, above average pay for most, some decent perks, mostly good customer interactions. People you work with are nice

Cons

High pressure, kpi driven business with little care given to issues in stores by area managers. Other stores just expected to plug gaps in sickness etc in stores that can't cover themselves. No meaningfull recognition anymore and continually increasing workload on teams and time wasting tasks while reducing hours. Tasks having to be done 2 or 3 times due to mistakes. Latest for example redesigned tickets, done a range change and all New tickets gone out as well as other sections to be told the font size will be changing so need to put them all back out again. Blue dots next to the top selling lines tickets which have to be manually put out for no reason other than making sure u have stock available while not allowing stores to adjust minimums. I could write a 100 point list of other pointless things managers have to waste time on. Increased targets on kpis that are not just sales but time-consuming web orders or subscriptions yet my store has lost approx 12 hours a week! Company is nothing compared to even 3 years ago.

Advice to Management

I get it's a tough market but your going too hard and taking too much from stores. We can't cope! Area managers constantly riding us not encouraging stores and no manager would ever dare do anything but smile and say how great it is in front of any directors or visits from anyone from head office.

"What happened to this place"

I worked at Pets at Home full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

how the company used to be years ago

Cons

I worked for this company for nearly 10 years. At first, it was brilliant. Career opportunities, helpful and understanding managers, proper training and animals were given all the attention they deserved and needed.
    Now its all about kpi targets , forcing customers to have a VIP card when they clearly aren't interested, colleagues treated like rubbish with no support whatsoever, Area managers just repeat what they've been told but don't give any advice or help in any way, instead they just threaten ''if you don't do it your in trouble''
    'Pets before profit' is the biggest lie ever. Years ago this was correct, now it's just there to pull the wool over customers eyes.
    Conference calls are constantly about what your doing wrong and what new targets you need to reach other than talking about the actual pets as it is a PET SHOP!
    Disappointed by the way this company has changed. All trusted colleagues I knew who have worked here for years have left due to the same reasons.

Advice to Management

Your a pet shop , which means pets come first remember that.
    Treat your colleagues with respect because no one is happy.
    I understand it's a business, however, there would be no business without colleagues. Everything you ask of them they do with sweat and tears so the least you can do is get off your chair, put down your wine glass and say Thankyou.

"Not what it used to be.."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Pets at Home full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I used to love the early shifts, during these you get to spend a good 3-4 hours with the animals. When I first started back in 2012 the pay was really good, now the national minimum wage has gone up its terrible.

Cons

Okay so there's quite a few, so I'll put them in to bullet points to make it easier...
    - Illegal working hours, for example.. Finishing at 9:15pm and starting the next morning at 6am. Being told 'tough' when questioning it.
    - If your face doesn't fit you won't get anywhere in this company. Management most DEFINITELY have favourites, this seems to be for every store if you read other reviews.
    - Childish management. Talking about colleagues behind their backs, laughing at other colleagues and overall just being rude towards them.
    - Being forced to stay 30 minutes over your finish time and not being paid for it.
    - Serious lack of understanding in regards to mental health. Being told 'good luck getting a sick note' from your manager. Honestly? This company made me ill.
    - They think data protection is a big joke and tell other colleagues your reason for absence and leave things such as colleague files and doctors notes lying around.
    - Lazy management. Most will spend their days sat in the office pretending to read emails or worse standing in the warehouse on their phone texting.
    - Poor pay for the amount of work you actually do day in and day out.
    - Refusing to give colleagues compassionate leave and asking to prove that their grandparents had actually died.
    - Witnessed and took part in several recruitments where managers will not pick new staff based mainly on their appearance, weight, voice etc.
    - Unrealistic targets, they want you to push and push and almost force their VIP loyalty card down customers throats, it's ridiculous.

I worked for the company for almost 6 years and to begin with it was absolutely brilliant, it was everything I wanted from a job with promises of promotions and training courses. All of this proved to be a lie, none happened at all. You're given the chance to complete 'step up' books, but never once did any of my managers sit down with me to ask where I was with it or if I required any help. In the end I completely gave up with it and to be completely honest feel as if there was no other choice but to leave for elsewhere - and so I did. I was that desperate to leave I didn't even have another job lined up and felt too sick, too drained to even work my notice. If you want to excel and be successful in a career, pets at home isn't the right company to go for.

Advice to Management

I personally think managers should undergo more intense training. I worked in two different stores and witnessed the same childish behaviour in both. I'd often walk in to the office and witness managers gossiping, it's just extremely unprofessional. Actually LISTEN to your colleagues.. allow them to fill in feedback forms in PRIVATE in stead of having managers lurking over their shoulders so they're too scared to write anything negative. Nothing will change in this company though, it's heading straight for the gutter and it wouldn't surprise me if in ten years time it doesn't exist anymore.

"Helps if you're soulless"

I have been working at Pets at Home full-time

Pros

Puppies are allowed in stores

Cons

Bad pay
    Not always payed hours worked
    Favouritism from management
    Profit over pets
    Don't listen to colleagues
    Crazy pet customers

Advice to Management

Listen to your collegues as they are the ones on the shop floor dealing with day to day issues while you're sitting in the office.
    stop being biased to people who have worked there a long time and treat everyone fairly.

9. "Store Colleague"

I worked at Pets at Home part-time

Pros

Friendly staff, good training, discount at store and vets.

Cons

Can change your rota without telling you, then it's your fault when you don't notice. Pay is low.

Advice to Management

Management at Stratford good, so no advice.

10. "Started great..."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Norwich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Norwich, England (UK)

I worked at Pets at Home full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun and relaxed more like a family.
    Lots of training to develop yourself in regards to animal care the the initial training hand book you also get to do a lot with charity.

Cons

Managers are not trained well in their role of management, they seem to struggle and get very frustrated easily.
    The animal side of things apart from the training is frustrating as things are never completed correctly and sometimes the animals are put at risk due to this.

Advice to Management

Treat you staff better and listen most managers have only ever been at PAH and have no idea what they should be doing.