Pew Charitable Trusts Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2020

3.1
Pew Charitable Trusts President and CEO Susan K. Urahn (no image)
Susan K. Urahn
0 Rating
Pros
Cons
  • "Mental abuse by senior management(in 16 reviews)

• "Highly bureaucratic environment, culture of fear among staff, no diversity among non administrative staff(in 12 reviews)

"Good Employer"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, Salary, Work-Life Balance are exemplary

Cons

None so far, time will tell

2. "Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work arrangements, co-workers are smart and care about making progress. I like the work that I do. New management is coming in which should be a positive change.

Cons

Pew is very corporate, not like a nonprofit. There is a culture of perfection and fear so it can be hard to get things done. There are multiple layers of micromanagement. They do not like to promote from within. You can get promoted from associate to senior associate but it is unlikely to get promoted to management.

"Leadership change"

4.0
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of smart and wonderful colleagues. Work on important issues. Decent pay and work-life balance. Pew’s top leadership is changing and hopefully many of the downsides of working at Pew will be resolved in the coming year.

Cons

Pew staff have been challenged by management measures that frustrate staff. See other reviews for perspectives.

Continue reading

"fine- corporate and detached"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than a year

Pros

support good initiatives, good 401k (6% match!)

Cons

annual cutting of benefits, annual raise doesn't cover increase in COL, work can be sporadic, lack of bravery. very corporate feeling, not very change-the-world. difficult to move up.

"Amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everything is well-managed and clear. I never had any confusion about human resource issues (a big issue with other former employers). The work is substantial without being overwhelming.

Cons

None come to mind, it's a great place to work.

"Smart people and a strong mission"

4.0
    Current Employee - Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pew has incredibly smart people who are passionate about the issues they work on. Benefits, work/life balance, and physical space are great. And what has been a fairly conservative culture is improving quite quickly of late, with a more relaxed dress code, a less formal culture, and an inclusion and diversity task force that includes staff from across the organization.

Cons

The variety of projects is vast, so policy teams can be insular. That means you need to be sure to meet your manager before you come on, and it may make it hard to move around and get promoted unless you're willing to move to a new team.

Continue reading

"Avoid, unless you really need a job."

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, overall. Convenient office location(s).

Cons

Too many to list... but generally, uptight upper management that hires qualified people to be admins across the organization, arbitrary organizational structure that you wouldn't find anywhere else, bad behavior is dismissed as culture, and using style, in vain, to hide ugly substance.

"What you hear is true"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many bright and talented individuals working at Pew. Additionally, Pew provides the opportunity for great work-life balance, a rarity in DC.

Cons

From the hiring process through the duration of employment, and wrapping up with the departure process, the institutional challenges are apparent. 1) Raises are hard to come by, so negotiate well. Pew says they don't negotiate, but individuals considering multiple opportunities - rather than just Pew - were able to score higher salaries. HR has more flexibility than they'd lead you to believe, and those that push are rewarded. 2) Don't believe it if you are told that you can grow a portfolio and rise. Promotions are all based on the entire food chain's approval, even if you report to a VP. Opportunities are limited to favorites, even when - as in my case - you are explicitly told you are qualified for a higher level position and your manager will work to make it happen. 3) It takes longer to get anything done at Pew than just about anywhere else, including government. Overhead is approximately 50%, so go figure. Only higher ed tops that rate. 4) If you work on the program side, know that the chief program officer only approves sure bets. This means that for all of Pew's resources, most teams only scrape the surface, and don't make meaningful change. Getting a new project approved is like finding a needle in a haystack. It is significantly easier to get outside money than garner internal resources, even though it is a public charity. 5) Exit interviews are a joke. There's nothing you could tell HR that they haven't heard before, yet they aren't empowered to fix it. And for a "data driven" organization, HR doesn't use any to change anything. It's been the same for years and years, just keep reading the reviews on this site.

Continue reading

"Mission-driven org, wonderful colleagues"

Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was attracted to Pew because of its commitment to improving public policy and making a positive difference in the world. I also enjoyed being in an environment with diverse areas of work and people, with experts in a huge range of policy fields--fom shark conservation to state dental health policy. However, I stayed at Pew for 5+ years because I had the opportunity to work with incredibly smart, kind colleagues who were genuinely supportive of my personal and professional growth. I was promoted after a couple of years at the organization, and leadership provided funding for me to attend conferences and trainings in my field. I could learn something new every day and that was exciting. I also appreciated working in an organization with women making up a significant percentage of its leadership. The work-life balance and benefits were amazing, and probably unmatched by other nonprofit orgs. The 401K and the 2:1 charitable giving match are particularly generous (my new employer doesn't come even close)! The physical building is also beautiful; I enjoyed the artwork around the office. Overall, I had a fantastic experience at Pew and would recommend it to others.

Cons

Nothing significant. I wish I could have tele-worked more often, but it wasn't a huge downside given Pew's convenient location in DC (easy commute).

"Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Program staff are very intelligent, supportive coworkers - Good benefits (vacation, etc) - Good work-life balance

Cons

- Extremely bureaucratic - Risk averse decision making from upper levels of management - Difficult to advance to higher position. Promotion and salary negotiation process strictly managed by HR without much input from other departments - Non-diverse working environment, with respect to race/ethnicity. Many complaints of racism/sexism that have gone unresolved.

Found 268 reviews