Pew Research Center Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2020

4.1
Pew Research Center President Michael Dimock
Michael Dimock
  1. "Great benefits, people, leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Researcher

I have been working at Pew Research Center full-time

Pros

Smart and engaged staff, great place to work

Cons

Limited room for career mobility

2. "Interesting Work, but Difficult to Advance"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Research Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting work with dedicated experts and solid funding for projects. Collaborative and intellectually challenging environment. Strong presence of young professionals who are expected to make valuable contributions.

Cons

Upward mobility is based more on circumstance and other obscure factors than actual performance. Poor communication of performance concerns throughout the year (getting feedback is highly dependent on individuals asking their senior colleagues assigned to the same project for feedback). Vague feedback during performance reviews despite being pressed for details. Poor communication by management in general. Lack of training opportunities to gain new skills. Favoritism is granted to those for meeting expectations that are not communicated explicitly (such as contributing to projects to which one is not assigned), and there's a steep learning curve for those who are left in the dark.

Continue reading

"Very positive work environment"

Former Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Research Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very positive work environment Good people - smart, have integrity with their research, collaborative and kind and overall easy to work with. Excellent health and retirement benefits, vacation and sick leave Respect for work/life balance

Cons

There were some structure changes going on during the time that I worked there, which came with some growing pains. Other than that, there's really not much to complain about here. Obviously there's always going to be an occasional person that is difficult to work with, but overall it was a great work experience. It would be nice to have more telecommuting options. Generally, there was no problem with people working from home every now and then as needed (a little under the weather, kid's school cancelled at last minute, etc) but it wasn't really supported as a regular thing. Being located in DC and having so many people with long commutes, I think that could be an allowance that would increase efficiency and productivity and reduce turnover.

"Working here does not feel like a "job""

Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Pew Research Center full-time

Pros

Very interesting work. Great opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic in some ways

5. "Research Assistant"

I have been working at Pew Research Center full-time

Pros

international recognition great learning experience you are working with some of the brightest minds

Cons

management stress of being absolutely correct every team has different standards

6. "Great place to grow, interesting people"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Research Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The caliber of research here is top notch. Being able to work here and gain knowledge and skill from more seasoned pew researchers is amazing. It's also nice to work for a non-partisan, non-profit organization.

Cons

Sometimes workflow is slow, and training can be lacking depending on the team you're on. HR tries to do what they can to make everyone invovled with each other and get everyone to be more social, but it rarely works. Some people I've met in the Center are kind of pretentious and act like they're better than you. But most of the others I've met are great, very friendly and helpful. I guess it's normal to have a few bad eggs.

7. "Great place to learn"

I have been working at Pew Research Center full-time

Pros

Dynamic team with a great research agenda

Cons

Can be slow moving on new opportunities

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Research Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to make material contributions to nationally and internationally renowned work and see the results on the news every day. Coworkers are very friendly and welcoming to new hires, with an engaged office culture that encourages collaboration. Staff are respectful of administrative and operations workers and work to integrate them into office functions. HR clearly prioritizes workplace wellness and community building programs.

Cons

Sometimes the workload during high-volume times can be pretty stressful, but the same is true everywhere. Some of the structure and systems feel a bit inconsistent and inefficient.

Continue reading
  9. "Amazing Place, Brilliant People, Great Name; More Attention/Responsibility Should Be Given To Interns"

Global Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Research Center for less than a year

Pros

Getting to work with brilliant people Reasonable Salary for an Intern (15 an hour) Friendly Research Assistants, I made friends my first week and people took me out all summer

Cons

They need a more established intern program. I went all summer without meeting half the other interns. Pew is very siloed between departments and interns should be encouraged to be a cohesive group. Low level of responsibility given to interns. Oftentimes tasked with the most menial tasks. i understand that's how research works (Research Assistants get the second most menial tasks) but I think that they can definitely improve upon giving responsibility to those who ask/are capable of it.

10. "S"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Research Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

independent, non-partisan fact tank between academic and applied research

Cons

intransparent, unclear vision, heavy focus on communication rather than robust research

Found 33 reviews