Pfizer Reviews in Connecticut | Glassdoor

Pfizer Connecticut Reviews

Updated May 4, 2017

Connecticut

Pros
Cons
  • Not very good work-life balance (in 67 reviews)

• job security due to cost cutting (in 50 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Senior Director in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Director in New London, CT

I worked at Pfizer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people. Important mission. Facing challenging circumstances and an industry in transition. Well positioned to continue as the industry leader.

Cons

Industry challenges, pricing pressures and negative public perception combined with continuous rounds of layoffs have adversely affected morale and culture.

"Administrative Lead"

Former Employee - Administrative Lead in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Administrative Lead in New London, CT

I worked at Pfizer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced, innovative and working with experienced and dedicated scientists. I enjoyed working with them and supporting them with everything non-scientific. Great learning curve.

Cons

Too much stress with added work load. Doing more with less is the new paradigm. At times, promoting the wrong people into management positions.

Advice to Management

I would advise them to implement, improve and monitor their "No Jerks" policy in the workplace, rather than have these initiatives be just rhetorical.

3. "Manager"

Former Contractor - Manager in Groton, CT
    Former Contractor - Manager in Groton, CT

I worked at Pfizer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was great; some very dedicated employees; purpose of work felt great as it was towards bettering people's lives

Cons

Hours were ridiculous; in some cases 16 hours in 1 day; job training was non existent. Manager was out of their mind and had no regard for proper QC which cometely went against the purpose of the job and was a nasty person in general. Numerous complaints about this Manager from contractors and employees from 2012 to 2015; upper Management and HR did nothing about it.

Advice to Management

Don't outsource everything and don't threaten people with having a project completed on time when timelines are imposed that are impossible to meet if you want quality which is so important when you are in the business of developing drugs.

5. "big company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer full-time

Pros

big company; a lot of resources; people are nice; good work life balance

Cons

when a company is this big, making quick change is not easy.

"Former glory of Pfizer is no longer"

Current Employee - Senior Information Manager in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Information Manager in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great pay & benefits, in addition to competitive vacation and holiday schedules. Opportunity to grow within and outside of department for high performers, provided you're in the right group. Excellent technology. Flexible work arrangements (e.g., work at home, part-time, condensed work week, etc.).

Cons

too many and too frequent reorganizations, resulting in unnecessary upheaval. While not too common, cronyism can be an issue, depending on your group. Open space concept with no assigned seating is undesirable at best.

Advice to Management

Back when I started in the mid-nineties, Pfizer was the premier employer in this area, engaged employees, competitive (in a good way) yet fun environment, appropriate work-life balance, and opportunities for advancement, among other things, but then the mergers and reorganizations started. Please rethink your motivations, and remember that engaged, happy employees will provide much more return on investment than disengaged, miserable employees with a lack of direction. We are all waiting for the next ax to fall, and that's really not a great place to be.

7. "Scientist"

Current Employee - Scientist in Madison, CT
    Current Employee - Scientist in Madison, CT

I have been working at Pfizer (More than a year)

Pros

Offer a lot of opportunities to grow

Cons

compensation is not competitive, especially if stay in the company for many years.

Advice to Management

Need to provide a secure and stable environment for scientist to be bold and innovative.

8. "Many tools, start and stop (Groton) CRD"

Former Intern - Chemical Engineering Intern in Groton, CT
    Former Intern - Chemical Engineering Intern in Groton, CT

I worked at Pfizer as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got comprehensive training(required) in clean room, EHS
    The equipment is top notch - EasyMax, OptiMax for API scale-up.. if you wanted to perform an experiment they would provide the necessary tools, not the other way around
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Cliquish nature
    Stop and go work flow
    Tight and relaxed deadlines
    Difficult to find longterm position

9. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

Pros

Great people, great resources. There is a lot of teamwork and people are always open to better ways to do things. You really feel like you can make a difference. Senior leaders always showed they cared about people.

Cons

It's a big organization so not always easy to navigate.

Advice to Management

Continue to know your people, show your care and develop people.

10. "Pfizer PhRD"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield Center, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield Center, CT

I worked at Pfizer (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent mentor, good learning opportunities,

Cons

None that I can think of

11. "Perhaps the grass is greener elsewhere... but be careful where you step"

Current Employee - Manager in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unmatched medical benefits. While the cost and co-pays continue to creep up, the coverage and prescription benefits are fantastic. I have very flexible working arrangements, and they're easy to come by. I don't miss the kid's sports games, I can leave early and come in late when necessary. I have access to high tech gadgets, ample free parking, and I get four weeks of vacation a year (roll over max five days). I don't come in when I'm sick and don't have to use vacation to do that. The work is challenging and rewarding. We bring important medicines to patients and make them better.

Cons

Corporate nonsense. But that exists everywhere. The industry is a punching bag for liberal pundits everywhere so we always have to defend ourselves. The open space environment in Groton, CT is annoying. And the drive to outsource everything makes things very difficult to get good results. Spend lots of time rewriting documents that where written overseas in order to make them coherent. Promotions are not easily available. In order to get promoted in the lower ranks, you must make a job change.

Advice to Management

Rewarding performance with a promotion is NOT a bad thing. Seriously. It's ok.

Showing 111 of 2,380 reviews