Pfizer Reviews in Kalamazoo, MI | Glassdoor

Pfizer President & CEO Ian Read
Ian Read

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not very good work-life balance (in 70 reviews)

• job security due to cost cutting (in 50 reviews)

1. "Production lead"

Current Employee - Production Lead in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Production Lead in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, time off. Good work environment and friendly people. Understanding management. This company understands that we all have our own lives outside work and is very supportive

Cons

Long hours. It is not uncommon to have to work long hours, weekends, and holidays if business needs call for it

Advice to Management

Keep on the path

2. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Pfizer part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities. Good pay with bonuses.

Cons

Managers are not well trained.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing people.

3. "Project Manager, Engineering"

Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer (More than a year)

Pros

Being immersed in exciting and technically challenging capital projects with some of the best technical minds I've known. For a large matrixed organization, our engineering group has some great leadership that really help our voices be heard and allow us to best serve our internal customers and ultimately our patients. Great benefits, Able to have impact, lots of opportunities for growth and ongoing career training. Resources to do some awesome work.

Cons

It's a large company, but seems Pfizer is working hard to empower departments, and a real drive to provide value and great medicines to the world.

Advice to Management

Continue to push management to the lowest possible level, eliminate un-needed tiers of leaders. Keep us competitive!

4. "Assistant scientist"

Former Employee - Scientist in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Scientist in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Pfizer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pfizer pays very well and the opportunity for career growth is outstanding. It's a great place to be a scientist as they spend so much on research and development so you always have the best resources to work with

Cons

Pfizer is always merging, moving, cutting job, reorganizing etc. because of the constant risk of losing your job the atmosphere is very competitive and people are less likely to help each other

Advice to Management

Job stability and security are very important for colleagues to function productively. Encourage skill and job sharing between employees, don't allow outdated practices and procedures to be continued just because that's the way it was always done before.

5. "Team Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Pfizer (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Too many changes all the time. Cannot be sure what happens next.

"Depressing culture, everyone just going through the motions"

Current Employee - Formulations Operator in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Formulations Operator in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good but only if you get overtime. Benefits are generous.

Cons

Lots of disgruntled people with poor outlooks on life. People know that they are stuck in this job for life because no one else in the area pays as well. If you make waves, management will mess with you so it's best to just keep quiet and don't report anything you see. People will not follow SOP and will intentionally cut corners at the risk of product safety. Lots of theft throughout the plant in Kalamazoo. Lock up your belongings.

Advice to Management

Show some integrity. On paper, this would be a great company to work for but the rules only matter if they are enforced.

"Pfizer has no concern about it's employees or it's products."

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime. Have met some great coworkers who really care about our patients and their wellbeing. Some really inspirational people who do excellent work despite corporate's complete apathy for us and our products.

Cons

Very toxic work environment, some of the worst management I have ever seen. Moral is very low, high stress and constant tension causing a lot of issues with bullying or lack of professionalism. Draconian budget cuts leading the "leaner" workforce to crumple under combined work loads. Constantly lacking the tools to do your job adds to the pressure. Supervision responds to concerns by telling you your job could easily go to Mexico. Pressure to cut corners compromise the overall product quality. This feels like a company on the verge of catastrophe. Most of the blue collar work force is made up of temporary workers with low pay and no benefits hanging on for years hopeing to be hired in. Super high turn over rates mean constant training, total lack of experience, new workers training newer workers. Management happy to reassure you that your totally replaceable. I could go on and write pages and pages.

Advice to Management

Sell our plant if you don't want it. We obviously care more about our products than you do.

8. "Low wages"

Current Employee - Formulation Op in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Formulation Op in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good vacation package compared to competition.

Cons

Below average wages for non degree oriented workers.

Advice to Management

Pay all employees not just the top 10%.
    Being #1 pharmaceutical company, your compensation packages are that of a bottom tier company!

9. "I had great experience at Pfizer"

Current Contractor - Organic Chemist in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Contractor - Organic Chemist in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional environment, plenty of opportunity to learn new skills, have some very smart people who work for this place

Cons

The food in cafeteria is not that great, it is little bit impersonal place to work at as all big companies are.

10. "Company treated me very well overall - benefits, pay, etc."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Pfizer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Completely surrounded by tremendous talent! A feeling of doing something good for people!

Cons

WAY TOO CENTRALIZED in their leadership and running the company. Also, Board is too lazy, or too cozy, to take action and get rid of total screwups at the Executive through "C" level positions. Why waste the time and money on a board if their experience, decisiveness and leadership insights are not going to be utilized to protect the shareholders. Case in point - length of time 2 successive previous CEO's to Ian Read were allowed to run company into the ground and the value lost. Shameless!!!

Advice to Management

Establish clear responsibilities for the Board Overwatch responsibilities and tie all of their pay/incentives AND that of the C-Officers to long term improvements, and gains - not short term focus that brings in the constant major bonuses!

Showing 27 of 2,488 reviews