Pfizer Reviews | Glassdoor

Pfizer President & CEO Ian Read
Ian Read

2,148 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Not very good work-life balance (in 69 reviews)

• job security due to cost cutting (in 49 reviews)

1. "Loved it as an intern, wish I could get past the hiring freeze to get back in"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Groton, CT
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Groton, CT

Pros

I was only an intern here, but I loved the experience. Everyone is highly motivated, intelligent, and most importantly, friendly! My immediate superior was more like my mentor than my boss. Everyone I worked with was kind and helpful. They really do a good job caring for their employees, from what I saw during my few months there. They care a lot about employee's live outside of work and have lots of programs that encourage health and activity. If they weren't going through such a hard time, it would be a great place to work. I would love to go back and work there!

Cons

It's very hard to get your foot in the door there, because of all the hiring freezes right now. I was lucky enough to get an internship there, which is a feat in and of itself, and even that did not guarantee me a job no matter how hard my supervisor tried to help me get a full-time job. I had two calls from two different departments that were interested in me, but they could not bring me in even for an interview because they were not allowed to bring in anyone due to the freeze. I really have no complaints other than I can't get back in the company!

Advice to Management

Have a little more contact with the scientists.

2. "Great company, uncertain future in short run"

Current Employee - Manager of Procurement in Peapack, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager of Procurement in Peapack, NJ

Pros

Still a terrific company with a strong future post 2011. There are many great things about Pfizer, and I think morale is unnecissarily low. There's going to be a painful period of transition but at the far side will still be a great company to work for; now ready for the post Lipitor world.

Cons

Potential significant contraction in workforce coming

Advice to Management

Get changes done quickly

3. "Pfizer is a good company"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

You are making products that help people live better lives. The company has good values and nice people working there. The pay and benefits are excellent. The company is also great about paying for continuing education training. Colleagues have plenty of activities and opportunities for work life balance.

Cons

They need to get more products to replace Lipitor when it goes off patent. There is still too much bureaucracy. Due to issues in the U.S., there have been a lot of job cuts.

Advice to Management

Keep holding people accountable for results. Be willing to take risks for the future.

4. "I beleive he knows the right people for the right positions"

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

Company is very innovative and often comes up with solutions to problems which have not yet been encountered. As I interend with them I remember recieving e-mails from Pfizer's R&D as well as other divisions. In previous jobs I remember low communication or poor decisions being made on a management level. While at Pfizer I was never dissapointed with an e-mail communication, often it seemed as if they knew exactly what issue or challenege that was on my mind and acted to on it before it created an issue. Pfizer also has very competitive pay and truly takes care of their employees, for a $46 Billion dollar company they do a great job of making workers feel valued. There was also a great feeling of independence in the role.

Cons

Company is very large and as a sales agent it can be easy to get lost in the shuffle if you desire constant one on one supervision or contact. There was also occasional misalignment between marketing and field force. Sometimes marketing may make great strides to launch a campaign and not value as much of the insight as what have may been valued that was offered by field force. There were not too many other downsides that I saw during my time with Pfizer. There could potentially be issues depending on what area or divisional manager that you are under as each have their own management style.

Advice to Management

Continue to think forward

"A true opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Talented colleagues, Pfizer Values. Creativity and Innovation is encouraged! I love the independence that I"m given in my job to find creative solutions and be innovative. The volume / workload is heavy and you rarely get that 'light at the end of the tunnel' feeling, but if you can embrace the challenges, it really is energizing. I learn so much at Pfizer through all of the projects I've been involved in. Every day you really do learn something new. It's dynamic and challenging and all about what you make it. The people and the projects are what make Pfizer great!

Cons

A LOT of work, finite resources. You are tired at the end of the day!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with creative solutions and mindful budgets. This really will help get us where we need to be.

6. "It can be done- we are moving to a better place and will get there"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

Pros

There is a lot of very talented people here. It is a shame more people dont realize this. The place is awash with talent and yet everyone is complaining about the challenges we face and how we are all going down a hole. I say with the people this company has we can make it happen. We were aching for change and action and that is what we have and i think it is a good thing. We need to make a positive state of mind prevail. it is easy to be distracted by all of the negativism. Easy to criticize and a lot harder to do something about it. I think the people the company has will pull it off and that is the best thing about this job.

Cons

the negativeness right now permeating the company and the fact that in many aspects it is somewhat monolithic and inertial. but there is clear willingness to change.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating all efforts you are doing to turn this ship around. Keep on driving the focus to what can be achieved. Keep communicating a clear vision of what can be achieved. Give more chance to the great talent you have in house. Get real not only about developing talent but about managing C players.

"Pfizer is the best of the best in Pharma!"

Current Employee - Professional Healthcare Representative in Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Professional Healthcare Representative in Binghamton, NY

Pros

Excellent products to sell, outstanding communication to the field sales team, exceptional benefits!

Cons

There is impending change with the completion of the Wyeth merger. There are questions of job stability upon the integration of Wyeth personell.

Advice to Management

Great job keeping communication streamlined - please continue after the wyeth merger. :)

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peapack, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peapack, NJ

Pros

I love being a part of Pfizer and I think they may have finally gotten the picture. They must develop, listen, innovate and change to stay alive and win popular love and trust. They are finally doing that! Great Healthcare, perks, etc. Free prescriptions medications included in your insurance to ALL drugs, EVERYWHERE.

Cons

Occassionally get stuck under the Human Resource blanket by politics, etc. They realize little about the actual job, etc.

Advice to Management

Check your egos at the door.

9. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Statistician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Statistician in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Prestige of the company.
    Pay for the experience
    Culture is good
    working hour is good
    People are friendly
    Site is pretty

Cons

Agressive restructing, no sign of restructing

Advice to Management

I am not in a position to offer advice
    I am there only for a few months, do not know the company well enough

10. "nice to work here"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Boston, MA

Pros

good information sharing and collaboration, career growth

Cons

too frequent reorg, less continuation

Advice to Management

great

Showing 2,148 of 2,416 reviews