Phaidon International Operations/Talent Team Reviews | Glassdoor

Phaidon International Reviews

Updated 17 Oct 2019

3.8
Phaidon International CEO Harry Youtan (no image)
Harry Youtan
  1. Featured Review

"A Company You Care About"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at Phaidon for a year now and having left my previous employer after 10 years, I've learned more under the roof of PI than in a decade+ with my prior company. It's ambitious, challenging, opportunistic, and has a meritocratic environment that's tough not to love. It cares about you being a part of it, so it repays the favor. Very thankful to have taken the leap of faith into a new company and... career and it wouldn't have been right if not for Phaidon.

Cons

Communication can be a challenge. It's a global company, expanding fast and applauding the creativity so time zones and geography can cause a limited time to collaborate and because it employs intelligent people who care about those things the same, you can have a lot of ideas coming from a lot of different areas. It's going through a lot of the fun nuances involved with a fast-growing company so been fun to watch... the transition.

Advice to Management

Keeping a strong focus on the current employees & up and coming managers is equally as important as the new employees joining.

Phaidon International2019-06-13

"Tons of growth and working with the top end of the industry"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Immediate exposure to key clients and candidates. I get to work with some of the most prestigious banks and financial firms in the world interacting with typically VP or director level and above. Work environment is amazing - free coffee, breakfast options multiple times a week, beverages during the week and beer/wine on Fridays. Several sales incentives going on and the team participates in Philanthropic events... at least once every 2 months.

Cons

Work can be difficult. Since it’s a longer sales cycle you don’t get your first yes 1 week into the position. With persistence and targeted effort you’re able to overcome this hurdle. No options to work remote until more senior in company (about 2 years of tenure)

Advice to Management

Keep making yourself available. Love the hands on training and appreciate you sharing your vision.

Phaidon International2019-10-14
  3. "Great Place to work, great people"

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time

Pros

Great place to work great people

Cons

Long hours, high pressured environment

Phaidon International2019-10-11
  4. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Phaidon International part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Environment to be at

Cons

Long hours of work per day

Phaidon International2019-09-20

"A company full of lies, broken promises, and little-to-no support for developing employees"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited Commission (this is done because they offer a joke of a base salary | also done because the commission % is extremely low and you will likely make litle to no money from a single deal) Great benefits package, though this WILL go away as the company grows. Their current coverage is not maintainable with the number of employees they are looking to hire

Cons

1) Horrible work hours. You will work 60+ hours and be encouraged to work through lunch, come in before work, stay late after work, and come in on weekends (you will have no life outside Phaidon) 2) "Incentives" for this company are 95%+ alcohol related and are unrealistic for most new highers who are too broke to buy booze at a bar 3) Your greatest competition is not from other agencies but from your "coworkers"... from other offices who regularly steal your business & opportunity to make money 4) Managers/"leaders" are regularly gone on vacation, and not engaged with employees 5) Managers only utilize 1 style of management and if you don't fit their model, you are excluded and given stricter responsbilities 6) Your "KPIs" are ALWAYS CHANGING, more work is dumped on your lap weekly and nothing is ever taken off 7) Unnecessary dress-code: though meeting with clients and candidates is highly encouraged, they rarely take place so having a business professional attire requirement is absurd in today's environment when leading companies do not require anywhere near the level of attire Phaidon does. 8) managers will obnoxiously berate and pressure you to never miss work, despite doctors appointments or being sick. They will peer pressure you into being at work as much as possible and have no remorse for emergencies situations / vacations / being sick

Advice to Management

Stop telling new hires lies about current employees sales Learn how to actually manage, if your employees are asking for help for over a year and improvements to the team are minimal... it is likely the manager who is under-qualified / has no idea what they're doing and not the employees Create incentives that are not related to alcohol and actually allow your employees to relax

Phaidon International2019-10-01

"Good company"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Very hard work no life outside of it

Phaidon International2019-07-25

August 2, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback - we are glad that you enjoyed your time at Phaidon. As you probably know, we experienced hyper-growth in our 15 years, and developing a growth culture requires hard work and time. We pride ourselves in ensuring we deliver quickly to our clients' needs, which means we've built a business based on KPIs and deliverables. We recognize that this does lead sometimes to a high-pressure environment and can involve long hours. As our growth journey continues, we acknowledge we have some work to do around work-life balance. We are confident in the strides we are making. As we continue to drive a supportive and positive company culture, we appreciate your feedback that work is still required

"Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time

Pros

Quick process Great environment Very helpful

Cons

No cons at the moment

Phaidon International2019-07-01

"Red Flags Everywhere"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Healthcare, 401k was just launched, most employees are very nice people.

Cons

First, let’s take a look at all the 5 star reviews which are at most 2 lines long, very brief, and similarly worded. That alone is a sign there is someone posting quick positive reviews to bump up the overall score of this company. Without them I can guarantee this company would be a solid 2. Two, with the entry level salary be ready to have another means of income. Your pay stub will barely cover NYC rent, let... alone food, transportation, etc. The ads promise 60-70k income but that is with commission structure after you’ve rung deals, trained and learned the industry, which can take SEVERAL months so be ready to live penny to penny those few months (or more depending on your luck to place candidates). Considering another job to make ends meet? Don’t. The hours are 8:30-6:30 (and longer) so good luck even attempting to find a second income let alone finding time to enjoy personal life. Third, the company benefit “happy hours”, “vacations”, “Rolex’s”, are all narrowed down to a very few people. Happy hours are only for those who targeted their KPI’s and Cv’s. Then you will be rewarded with 2 drinks at the local dive bar. Yay. Vacations are for top billers only, there’s a top rookie spot but only 1 or 2 so good luck getting that. Rolex is awarded to the 1 top biller only once a year. Yet the position markets these things as they’re available to everyone. They’re not. Let’s be realistic. HR was terrible when I started. The lady rushed me off and was impatient and rude with me during my on-boarding when I first started which I could somewhat understand because she was working on other things for the company as well at the time. There is a real HR team now dedicated just to HR so that’s a plus. Inappropriate behavior in the office is a major con and reason for many people leaving. There’s a significant amount of employees that are not shy to drugs. Even the first HR was known to have things in the office. Once again, glad we have a new HR team. Now it makes sense why drugs weren’t so regulated in the office environment and events. Females may make up “42%” of the office or company or whatever but that doesn’t mean that the men aren’t touchy, aggressive, and sexual towards you. Many females have complained to me about how they were targeted drunkenly at an incentive lunch or Thursday drinks. Doesn’t matter how “inclusive and diverse” the company is when there is no knowledge of what sexual harassment and what is/isn’t okay. The fact men look at new hired females like hyenas look at fresh leftovers is not a great culture. Lawsuits waiting to happen. All managers may be “deserving” of their position but manager positions are picked by performance. Just because an employee has high performance and is billing well, does not mean they’re cut out to manage a team. Management is an art in itself, being a good recruiter does not forecast someone being a good manager.

Advice to Management

Your college life is over, the office is not a second round. Treat your job professionally. You set example to your peers. Stop sleeping with the other coworkers and doing drugs. That only sets example that it’s okay for others to do it and fosters this toxic environment.

Phaidon International2019-07-27

August 2, 2019HR Business Partner

We are sorry to hear that you have not had as positive an experience as we would have liked. Our goal is to create a comfortable, transparent and meritocratic environment which enables employees to achieve success. We have a range of initiatives to incentivize our employees as we believe in meritocracy. As we have matured as a business, we have worked hard on creating a culture of inclusion and respect, where everyone can build a successful career regardless of gender. We have a zero-tolerance approach to drug use and sexual misconduct, it is important that instances of misconduct are raised through the correct channels in order for us to deal with them appropriately - we therefore strongly encourage you to contact the local HR team to speak to them confidentially on such matters. Please contact HR.US@phaidoninternational.com and we can discuss further. Thank you for your feedback.

"Don't do it.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Phaidon International full-time

Pros

There is NOT a single thing to report.

Cons

This place is a scam, literally. They treat their employees very badly. Everyone is sleeping with everyone. No actions are being taken towards people who are doing things illegally. (drugs in bathrooms). They push you to drink, and if you do not, you are not "cool". you cannot trust anyone at all. Everyone tells each other everything. They only favor the British people in the office, and the ones who are making... money. None of the managers are well trained - they are literally 25-28. They have no idea how to manage, but have teams of 6-8. Don't get hung up by the PTO, trips, incentives - ITS A SCAM. So many law suits are happening, the men are favored over women, which has made the women very uncomfortable. I've never worked at a company of such. No one values the employees, full of sex scandals, directors sleeping with juniors (LITERALLY), writing fake glassdoor reviews (I'VE WITNESSED IT). This company is NOT good for your mental health. Stay AWAY. Don't let the "good" reviews fool you.

Advice to Management

What management?

Phaidon International2019-07-03

July 11, 2019Group Marketing Director

We are disappointed in your review, our business absolutely prides itself on offering opportunity to all individuals irrespective of gender, age, nationality or ethnicity. As we write our response, we are proud to say our New York office is comprised of 42% female employees – of which a vast number are in leadership positions including but not limited to leading brands both in New York and nationally across the USA, leading specialized sales teams within brands, as well as running non sales functions across the USA that include L&D and Human Resources. As we mature as a business, we have worked hard on creating a culture of inclusion and where everyone can build a successful career regardless of gender. While our industry can be highly pressurised and demanding, all our employees are encouraged and able to raise concerns through the appropriate channels within HR for matters to be dealt with. Currently in New York there are 8 Directors, of which 2 are aged between 25 and 28 – both of whom absolutely deserve to be Directors. Pleasingly more individuals will be promoted to Director this year within the 25-28 age group, because they have shown the ability, character and drive to deliver on our ambitious plans. We are proud that our business is built organically and it is something that we wish to continue! While our employees progress very quickly in comparison to other industries, we work hard to ensure they are given the support to succeed. Currently, of our employees in New York, 7% are British at the time of writing our response. Our business has a no tolerance policy to drug taking.

10. "Good place to start"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for less than a year

Pros

exceptional growth good training ground good commission structure benefits are great team environment, but competitive performance culture

Cons

base was VERY low at the time for nyc markets, i've heard it's since gotten better. high turnover rate when I was around, largely due to PE investment / low salaries

Phaidon International2019-06-18