Phaidon International Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Phaidon International Reviews

Updated 17 Oct 2019

3.8
Phaidon International CEO Harry Youtan (no image)
Harry Youtan

"Worst career choice possible! TRAP"

Former Employee - “Consultant” in Chicago, IL

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

All expensed health care. You will meet leadership from other offices.

Cons

The truth speaks in the 1-stars reviews. - Don’t take a job unless you have another source of income. You won’t make money for the first few months. Look at the compensation plan carefully. - The culture is “work hard play hard”. More like work 10 hour days and then you are highly influenced to go to happy hour and drink with all your coworkers. If you are even 5 min late to your seat in the morning you get... spoken to even though you don’t clock in. They encourage you to eat lunch at your desk in case you have to answer a call. There are no laptops so you never work remote. They put up a fuss about you going to any type of appointment. Count your vacation days because it seems like a lot then you learn they have the week off between Christmas and NYE but they are also counted of your vacation days. - Management is young and unprofessional. They too are caught up in the work drama of sleeping around the office and partying hard (drinking/drugs). It’s a big fraternity and sorority on who hooked up, who is dating and then drama. What they teach you isn’t applicable in other roles because they are so high KPI driven from cold calling candidates/clients and getting as many resumes are you can in a day. They don’t care about quality as much as quantity. - Trips/Money isn’t there for everyone. They have high turn over for a reason. The trips aren’t as attractive as they sell. They aren’t relaxing they are set up like spring break for post college people (heavy drinking in a quick 3 days). Same for the “Michelin’s star lunches” which are really just a decent restaurant where you Are pressured to get drunk. - Consultant means recruiter. There is no chance for real career growth beyond being a manager. Which is why managers are so young. There’s no coaching just “do this to get more KPIs”. The job is pure luck! They have favorites in the office who they push to advance. In the end it’s high KPI, heavy party/post college fraternity environment with low pay and long hours.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your managers.

Phaidon International2019-06-09

"Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Unlimited earning potential if you are ready to work for it. - Great culture. - Solid leadership - Weekly drinks on the company, monthly corporate outings, etc.

Cons

- Steep learning curve at the beginning

Phaidon International2019-04-09

"Terrible Culture"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people are tolerable

Cons

Awful hours that they justify by saying it is "work hard, play hard". Churn and burn environment that does not care about your career, only their bottom line. They do not even pay minimum wage as it is being raised in NYC until the last second so they won't be fined/sued. Agency recruiting can be great- just not here.

Advice to Management

Stop removing negative reviews off your Glassdoor page.

Phaidon International2019-04-22
  4. "Amazing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time

Pros

making 6 figures in your first year, fast promotions, people are amazing

Cons

its a grind but you can do so well if you have the potential

Advice to Management

keep it up and invest in who is there to lead

Phaidon International2019-03-13

"Lovely people and great company!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working here. The people are great (shoutout to Glocomms!!) and there is extremely good opportunity to make a success of yourself here. Recruiting is not that straightforward and takes great social skills so that means everyone in the office is fun and friendly. It's a great team culture and you get these $30-40K paychecks from time to time which is really awesome :) We are growing as a business and it really... feels like we're making it big here. I would recommend working here to anyone with a friendly face and positive mindset if you want to have the chance to make a success of yourself.

Cons

No concerns or cons :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing it :)

Phaidon International2019-02-26
  6. "Competitive Culture and Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work Hard / Play Hard Culture - Days can get stressful but being friends with co-workers makes it easy - Ability to build your own business - Opportunities to make great money and progress quickly

Cons

(All have to be expected to succeed in a sales environment) - Long hours - Results driven - Be prepared to have your numbers compared and critiqued - You won't make crazy money in the early stages - It takes time to build your practice - No 401k but it's in the works

Advice to Management

Invest in those that invest in you!

Phaidon International2019-02-22
  7. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working here for 2 years and can honestly say its been an awesome experience so far. I knew nothing about recruitment before I started but had worked in a couple of sales roles in the past, I really like the culture and feel like I can build a career here. I'm confused about some of the negative reviews around culture as most people in my training class are still with the business, enjoy it and have done... well and I personally find it challenging but rewarding. They gave me plenty of time and support to get up and running even though it took me 4 months to do my first deal and then I had an up and down first year. After a lot of support from my manager things really clicked in the second year and I was one of the top billers in the business and earned over $140k that year. I'm now looking at progressing into a leadership role which is an amazing opportunity after just two years in the business.

Cons

It's hard work, this isn't a normal job or a 9-5. but I have learned so much since joining and if you want to earn 150k a year before you're 25 - you can't do that without working hard. Sometimes KPIs are pushed very hard which take some of the fun out of the day to day. The growth they are trying to achieve (and are achieving) is great, however, that means that some things are not where they should be, the IT... systems are not great, the office is super packed in until we move to a new one and general growing pains. Sometimes people are pushed into management when they are not ready or not given the tools to step up prior to moving into that role.

Advice to Management

Invest in the infrastructure of the business as well as the headcount. Don't step out of the weeds of the business as we grow, you are the ones who built this and we need the help and advice to continue it Invest in more management training for people that want to step up and have a better system for identifying who those people should be.

Phaidon International2019-02-22

"I would stay away"

Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

You work with people your age who tend to be very helpful and friendly. Since you work so much, you will become very good friends

Cons

very very long hours are told to come in early and stay late yet you already work 8:30-6 everyday You are scolded if showing up even a minute late, sometimes even if you are 3 minutes before 8:30, you still get remarks as to cutting it close and should be showing up early Are "very strongly" encouraged to eat at your desk Some managers have no business being a manager (lack training and leadership... qualities) Extreme low base salary very macho work culture a lot of internal competition

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, stop selling the position for something its not There is a reason your turnover rate is so high

Phaidon International2019-03-22
  9. "Great people to work with, but stressful work environment."

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, good opportunity to make commission and gain experience in a corporate setting.

Cons

Long work days, stressful work environment, a lot of turnover.

Phaidon International2019-03-05
  10. "Hard work but can be worth it"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Phaidon International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Money, culture, growth potential, people

Cons

High-stress environment, 24/7 job, extremely high expectation, low base salaries, cliquey

Advice to Management

More open and honest advice to employees especially when you see them getting burnt out

Phaidon International2019-02-06