PharMerica Reviews | Glassdoor

PharMerica CEO and Director Greg Weishar
Greg Weishar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • good luck trying to get a hold of upper management about problems (in 19 reviews)

• There was little to no training and I always felt ganged up on by other people in my department (in 7 reviews)

1. "It all depends on your perspective, role and location"

Former Employee - IT-Department in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - IT-Department in Tampa, FL

I worked at PharMerica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is improving
    Somewhat okay compensation benefits package
    Some managers care about work/life balance
    Opportunity for somewhat flexible work schedules
    Recent internal push for better collaboration between teams
    People are generally friendly

I enjoyed working here for the most part, it worked out okay for me but not everyone was as fortunate.

Cons

Major issues with middle management, lack of cooperation, grudges, personality conflicts, disrespect and resistance to change.

Inability to retain skilled workers long term, with very high turnover almost everywhere.

Generally low salaries for FTEs

Managers and Directors filter information and distort facts that get presented to upper management.

Major immaturity issues overall among many department's staff including managers and directors.

Huge dependence on contractors.

Lack of follow-through overall leading to many projects never reaching 100% completion.

Ironic that a Pharma company is a smoker's paradise. Lots of unhealthy behavior among staff, seems like almost everyone is smoking, vaping, an alcoholic or using some type of pills.

Significant lack of organization and communication.

On-boarding is a mess, new hires are lucky to be able to do their jobs when they show up.

Some managers/directors lead with fear and intimidation.

Staff equipment is years behind, old computers and laptops, outdated software including Office/Windows 7, very difficult to get anything nice, making productivity very difficult.

Dependence on cheap or free solutions which lack proper support for enterprise environments.

Business leadership seems to care only for shareholder interests, not keeping the customer and actual human lives as the focus for what we do.

Egos are thrown around in meetings.

Too many "movers and shakers" and not enough stable ground troops to get the work done.

Too many people with ADD hindering ability of staff to have in-depth and productive meetings and conversations.

Primary growth is through acquisition, often small facilities that are a complete mess adding more challenges and difficulties to existing issues.

Business drivers often don't know what they want making directives vague and hard to fulfill.

Advice to Management

1. Replace managers and directors who hinder a healthy corporate work environment.

2. Institute an anonymous rating system for managers and directors so that employees and staff can report and rate without fear of retaliation. Including anonymous incident reporting, and follow through with investigating bad behavior and taking action.

3. Encourage an improvement in professional communication and language. Meetings shouldn't sound like a high school locker room.

4. Adapt policies to meet modern demands, drop some old-school mindsets for a more productive and flexible approach to management and staff productivity.

5. Remember that there are human lives that depend on what we do, this is more important than lining shareholder pockets as a matter of principle.

6. Ask those with boots on the ground what they think the obstacles and challenges are. Don't rely on the filtered and often fictional information coming from middle management.

7. Invest in what works, drop the old legacy dependencies and freebies.

8. Find ways to motivate better employee health, behavior and competency. Try partnering with health clubs and gyms.

9. Consider better role coverage policies with staff and offer more paid holidays where possible.

10. Improve new hire process to equip employees and avoid leaving them with so many questions and uncertainties.

11. Don't be afraid to to bring in real skill and talent even if the salaries cost more. Settling for mediocre or giving in to generosity due to personal favors hinders the company culture and forward progress.

12. Encourage employees (where it makes sense) to develop personal interests and acquire new skills.

13. Be cautious about making internal processes and policies too complicated. Simplify!

14. Require modern study/science based management training for directors and managers to help create a better work environment and culture. You can't just tell a room full of children to behave and then leave them to their own devices.

Let me make it clear that there are some good people in the company. There are a few who have good intentions and respectable skills who value the service the company provides and keeps the patient in mind. There are many challenges that hold this company back from true greatness. None of these challenges are insurmountable, but it will be painful to shake off the necrosis and work towards building a healthy culture and work environment.

2. "Tech inventory control"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at PharMerica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Close to home for me

Cons

No life
    You never get out on time or you are told to leave if there is no work and they make you use your PTO
    And the occurrence policy is bad

Advice to Management

Pay better
    Help employees with their needs instead of punishing them for calling off due to emergencies

3. "Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Columbia, MD

I worked at PharMerica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many pleasant coworkers. Spacious location. Plenty of free Parking. Convenient Columbia location for many people. Convenient break room area for breaks.

Cons

Management is clueless. Company tried to grow too fast without proper planning, oversight, resources, study, space, storage, management should be more efficient and available.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at senior techs

4. "Overnight Staff Pharmacist."

Current Employee - Overnight Pharmacist in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Overnight Pharmacist in Union City, CA

I have been working at PharMerica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. My managers are very responsive, friendly and easy to approach.

Cons

Even though company is publicly traded it doesn't any discount stock pricing to employees. Medical health coverage plans that are offered are not that great and the selection is rather limited.

Advice to Management

Could do better on starting salaries.

"MICRO MANAGEMENT AT IT'S FINEST"

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at PharMerica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff at the local pharmacies are great to work with .

Cons

The C's at corporate allow middle management to make up rules as they go. They have no idea what it is to run an actual pharmacy. They force exempt employees to clock in and out. They have a rule about PTO- if you have a employee on pto with 40 hours you can only cover it with 20. Bottom line is the C's are lining their pockets with money and the folks at the pharmacy are micromanaged.

Advice to Management

Know your middle management and what they are doing. Treat employees like professionals.

"Louisville Corporate Employee"

Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at PharMerica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started on at PharMerica about a year ago fresh from graduating college. My immediate supervisor is FANTASTIC to work for, she goes above and beyond to help the company, and although she has high expectations of her staff, she allows our input into what our goals should be. Overall I have a fairly flexible schedule, you can work 8-5 or 8:30-5:30 which is nice. PharMerica had a rougher history with senior management in the past, but is bringing in new senior management faces that have a better outlook for the company morale. I get along with my team members great, and everyone is willing to help out, even if it isn't directly related to their goals.

Cons

Senior Management is still 'stuck in the 80s' but the HR department seems to be working to get that fixed. Pay is okay, but worth it for the great scheduling and environment.

As long as you're not directly working for Senior Mgmt it's a great job

Advice to Management

Senior Mgmt(SVPs and up) needs to allow room for growth of employees, even VPs get the short end of the stick with no room to make their own decisions.

"Poor pay to work ratio"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Spokane, WA

I worked at PharMerica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The last 3 years of my 9 years of employment we didn't work weekends and the hours were 830am to 6pm. Before that the pharmacy was open 6 days a week and hours were 9am to 630pm.

Cons

Most nights we couldn't finish the work until 7pm or later. After 9 years of employment I only made $2.12 more than when I started, and my starting wage was not good to begin with. You could start in retail or a hospital and make close to 2 times what you will make at pharmerica. Almost everyday was a mad dash to get all of the work done before the curriers left to deliver meds, and almost always new admits would come across 30 mins before the runs left. The environment is VERY corporate, and very stingy with every aspect of how they operate. Employees (especially techs) were absolutely expendable. When I put in my notice to leave for a new job they didn't even try to offer anything to keep me there. I was a good employee and was kept through multiple rounds of layoffs. But they still just let me walk after 9 yrs! They have been unable to keep techs after I left because the pay is not adequate for the job!

Advice to Management

Pay your techs and treat people like they are more than just machines with tax ID numbers.

8. "Pharmacist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at PharMerica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment, employees are held accountable yet appreciated

Cons

Unable to work around full time employee school schedule

"Back in 2007 this job was awesome but Under New Management this job became hell."

Former Employee - Customer Service Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at PharMerica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Currently I cannot think of any pros. The management is weak and you will not get any support in any Department in this company. Also if you're coming from the help desk there is no opportunity to advance.

Cons

Extremely weak management. Terrible company to work for. There are no opportunities to advance and that is it us against them atmosphere.

"Very Positive"

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at PharMerica part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent & Positive atmosphere to work in.
    Competitive Salary
    Respectful to all employees
    Easy to talk to
    Current manager is vey empathetic toward employees

Cons

Other than maybe newer keyboard, I cannot think of anything.
    I had a hard time coming up with any other cons

Advice to Management

The manager is easym to talk to, willing to work with employees requests for vacation time. She is extremely understanding and respectful to all employees, and shows no bias.