Pharm-Olam International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zev Munk MD

"Definitely a fresh attitude"

I have been working at Pharm-Olam International full-time

Pros

Great team, accessible management, getting things done

Cons

Some old attitudes are causing friction against positive change

Advice to Management

Stay the course

"Don't be fooled: There's Nothing "Fresh" about this company"

Current Employee - Clinical Operations in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Operations in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job. Pay is decent which is what keeps most of us here. Some good people here and employees try hard.

Cons

It's baffling to watch the same ineffective and corrosive management style continue day after day. Everything you see in the reviews below are true (except the fake reviews which were undoubtedly posted by HR).

-Top-down approach from executive management
    -So much finger pointing from corporate HQ
    -No accountability from senior management
    -no employee development or career paths
    -awful benefits

The current CEO has got to go. He is abrasive, rude, and does not listen to his people. He is ruining this company from the inside out. Despite what HR will admit, we have lost so many good people because of him.

I do not wish harm on this company because they sign my checks, but I am posting this as a concerned employee just hoping (praying) that other senior execs read this and take a good look at what is actually going on inside their company. This has to stop--it has gone on long enough!

Advice to Management

If you want a fresh attitude, start with a change at the top!!!!

"Complainers will complain, however they are exaggerating. This is a good company."

Current Employee - Senior Network Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Network Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have put up with me for 5 years.
    Hard work is appreciated, even with IT and them not fully understanding what I do
    (Norm for IT admins at any company)
    Company is moving onward and upward.
    Positive and friendly interactions from executives.
    Strong morales and values.
    Overall, this is a great company to work for.

Cons

Not to put light on the subject, but I have seen reviews that exaggerate...
    If you drop your candy sucker in the dirt, rinse it off and stop crying about it. (Millennials)
    Yes, the Houston Office is not in the best of locations, however its not the in worse as well.
    I would rather work for a good company in a somewhat "bad" location, than a bad company in a good location.
    That being said, all of the other offices I have been to are in very good locations.
    If your looking to work here, trust me, this company is a good company.
    Complainers are on here posting incorrect information, not realizing that they are not helping themselves.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what your doing, I prefer the new direction in which we have been heading in the past couple of years.
    I have seen change take place and I think we are moving forward instead of always looking backwards then comparing like we use to.
    Events like the Christmas party (which we all really like), perhaps do another one on the companies anniversary as an appreciation type of event.
    Keep on doing what your doing, I think its really good and I like it.

"Pessimistic work environment, but offers decent experience"

Former Employee - Data Management in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Data Management in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You may be able to learn varied tasks.
    - Small company feel, get to know your co-workers.
    - They seem to want to improve and grow.

Cons

- Lack of organization and incentive.
    - Lots of turnover
    - Nobody seems particularly happy to be there.
    - Don't feel valued.

Advice to Management

Clearer management and structure would be nice.

"Overworked Grossly Underpaid"

Former Employee - Network Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job & somewhat beats drawing unemployment but only just. Don't need to learn names below VP level due to high churn rate.

Cons

Bad part of town, poor or nonexistent lighting in parking lot for working those 12-14 hr days, no security, building poorly maintained with elevators & restrooms often out of order for an entire day, high churn rate, grossly underpaid & overworked often doing the job of 2 or 3 positions while being underpaid for your own, ongoing sexual harassment, ad nauseum.

Advice to Management

Go jump in the lake. There is a reason you have poor employee retention!

"Doesn't value its people"

I have been working at Pharm-Olam International full-time

Pros

Good people work for the company
    Standard M-F with flexible work schedule

Cons

Working from home is impossible
    Upper management doesn't value its people
    Sanjiv yelling at people is not the best approach

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect
    Understand that the people at the bottom are the ones making the company what it is.

"Looking for a job...anything is better than this."

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pharm-Olam International (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am really not sure what to say here. I got recurited into my position based on friends that were former employees. When they brought me on they thought things were changing and it was a good time to get on the ground floor of something that could end up really good. Although there were early signs of positive change (three years ago), it is now a real horror.

Cons

Some folks here are saying the owners are getting ready to sell the business. Maybe that is a good idea, they don't seem to care about it, other than how much money they can make. My experience, of he company, over the last several years, is just horrible. Management is very distracted. Every month we hear about someone leaving (at senior and junior levels). The processes and technology are from 10-15 years ago. The executive management of the company does not understand the business at all. Every time we ask for help there is a great slience. Part of the reason I joined the company was that it has this great international profile. A real differentiater. It turns out that, although the international teams are good, they stay because there are just no good alternatives for employment at their current levels. That is not a good reason to stay at a company.

Advice to Management

Even if you are selling the business, spend some time taking care of the employees. Help them peform the work that the company is asking of them. Be as honest as you can. Spend time communicating some collective vision of the company that employees can find motivating.

9. "Worth the effort."

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Most managers knowledgeable and working to help their employees.
    Working hard is rewarded "thanks" gets said a lot.
    Company is growing lots of opportunities if you're willing to work for them.
    Opportunity to be involved in expanding international business.
    Working the system will get you ahead

Cons

Old-fashioned management style in many areas - upper management focused on people in seats in the Houston office when most other companies are doing the opposite.
    Still functions in silos people stick to where they are on the org chart and don't mix much.
    Fixed mindset this is just how it is, don't change it even if its not working at its best

Advice to Management

Modern thinking is necessary, not optional.
    Most companies are downsizing space and allowing flexibility.
    New ideas are not bad. They might just be what gets you to the next goal.

"Bad Apples Spoiling the Bunch"

Current Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Houston, TX

Pros

I was lucky to get an outstanding line manager and was readily recognized and promoted for my hard work. Some truly wonderful and dedicated people work here.

Cons

Much of the upper management has changed in the last year and the company as a whole is working towards moving into a more metrics driven paradigm. This would be fine but the company lacks the resources and infrastructure to make this happen. They view themselves as a large CRO with disposable employees when in reality we are struggling to work with outdated technology and a skeleton crew for staffing. HR is not helpful. Some of the line managers are both stupid and aggressive which is never a good combination. In general departments are very insular and there is little communication between groups which leads to dysfunction. Focus is on accumulation of studies rather than actually doing a good job with the studies we have.

Advice to Management

Update the systems, work on creating processes and tools that function rather than just matching SOPs with the big boys. Embrace your size and value your employees instead of badgering them until the good ones quit.

"Associate Project Manager"

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Pharm-Olam International (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked in a company's Russian branch. Friendly family-like environment, understandable workflow.

Cons

A typical workday in the office was somewhat slow and uninvolving. I was unlucky to get 2 remote projects with somewhat poor management. Despite being start-up ready, the projects failed to begin in 3 months, leaving me with hardly any work to perform. Had to literally beg other PM's for work. Then the contract was terminated with no warning, the manager didn't even care to communicate the message himself.

Advice to Management

If the project stagnating, let your employees know so they can adjust their daily activities. And some some respect to the employees wouldn't hurt too.