Pharmaca Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Richard Willis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great products, decent discount and fellow coworkers who are passionate about health and wellness (in 4 reviews)

• pay above average, team members, positive environment, greatt customers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • However, upper management sometimes seemed to make decisions that didn't make a lot of sense for our particular store (in 10 reviews)

• Staffing with one tech on weekends can make good customer service difficult (in 5 reviews)

1. "Assistant Manager"

Pros

Learned a lot about supplements

Cons

Low pay poor management

2. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Novato, CA

I worked at Pharmaca full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, all like-minded as far as healing and natural wellness. Very supportive and caring atmosphere, even from upper management. Being a somewhat newer company, the executives are very open to new ideas and everything felt very much like a team effort. The new CEO is wonderful and down to earth.

Cons

Disorganization from corporate offices communicated down to store level. Lots of changes in employees at corporate offices.

3. "Get back what you put in!"

Current Employee - Practitioner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Practitioner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pharmaca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was able to pass out my business card to all customers and grow my own private practice. Product samples for team members help enable practitioners to better speak about the products carried in the store.

Cons

Wage is retail based however the benefits of connecting with my community were clear.

"changing company"

I worked at Pharmaca full-time

Pros

The company has an amazing concept that is needed in the marketplace.

Cons

Starting to lose the culture that sets this company apart.

5. "Decent"

Pros

Liked working here, but not much room to grow beyond manager

Cons

Pay could be better, but good starting rate

"Practitioner"

I worked at Pharmaca full-time

Pros

Love the culture and values. Working with other like-minded practitioners is great. The customer service really is above the rest.
    There really are some awesome people in this company, but they are overshadowed by the bad eggs.

Cons

Upper management is a joke. They have no idea what is really going on in the stores. They hire mall retail managers to lead a team of licensed professionals, doesn't always translate when they have no health background or basic human people skills. They let managers get away with berating and yelling at employees. Just because numbers are great, doesn't mean everything is a-okay. When a whole team is complaining about the team manager. Maybe it IS a fault with the manager and not just everyone else.

They are not profiting because they have no idea how to run a business. Listen to what your employees at the store level are telling you! If the whole team is miserable and on the verge of finding new employment because of a bad manager, it will affect the customers and therefore your bottom line!

Advice to Management

Actually care and invest in your people. "District Managers" don't care what's actually going on with any of the employees, even though they pretend to.

Stay away from this company until they get rid of some of the so called "Top level executives" who don't know their heads from their butts.

"Low-stress job with interesting, like-minded co-workers"

Former Employee - Nutritionist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Nutritionist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pharmaca part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a nutritionist at a Pharmaca retail location to supplement my private practice with a more stable source of income. It was a low stress job and I learned a lot about a variety of supplements and herbs that I wasn't previously familiar with. My co-workers were all kind, interesting, and highly educated individuals and it was nice to have like-minded colleagues. There were a lot of opportunities for free continuing education presented by supplement company reps, online webinars, etc. The employee discount of 25% was also great. I was able to hand my business card out to customers and seek referrals for my private practice. Overall, it was a fun job, and I remember my time there fondly.

Cons

The low pay was the biggest drawback to the position. Pharmaca likes to advertise that they have licensed practitioners on staff to give customers advice, but they won't pay you for your experience and education. In the end, it is a retail position. You are able to hand your business card out to customers, but I never gained any clients through that. That was probably more of a reflection of the area that I worked in and my specialty in my private practice, so it might work for other practitioners.

Training wasn't very consistent, as the store operates with minimum staffing, and employees are needed on the floor from Day 1. I was able to hit the ground running, but I know that some other new employees struggled with the lack of training.

The store manager was a kind and competent individual who did a great job at running the store with the resources that were given. However, upper management sometimes seemed to make decisions that didn't make a lot of sense for our particular store.

There was very little room for advancement. The pay difference from practitioner to lead practitioner was something on the scale of $0.25. Employees could not be promoted to management without having several years of retail management experience.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from employees who are actually in the store versus making decisions from the corporate office in Colorado. Compensate employees better for their education and experience and take cost of living into consideration.

"Run away"

I have been working at Pharmaca full-time

Pros

Really nice coworkers, nice working environment

Cons

Dishonest management, unreasonable policies, overworking employees

Advice to Management

Just quit

"Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy"

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Pharmaca part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The clientele is interested in complimentary alternative medicine, store staff is knowledgeable about nutritional support and herbal remedies. Specialty compounding is available for humans and pets. Santa Fe store is the most active location with interesting patients. Trader Joes next door helps with food availability for lunch. Inventory management system allows for automatic re-ordering and low par levels on inventory. Finger print scanner system works well for verifications in EPS software. Front store has health and wellness products with knowledgeable practitioners (herbalists, acupuncturists, cosmetologists) available for collaboration with the pharmacist.

Cons

Staffing is deficient due to payroll having to be cut. Unless you are full-time, minimal PRN shifts are available. Staffing with one tech on weekends can make good customer service difficult. Lunch and bio breaks are limited to 5 minutes as it can be busy at the Santa Fe location. ABQ store necessitates bringing lunch and snacks as you cannot leave the pharmacy in a 10-hour shift.

Advice to Management

Slower store in Albuquerque needs outreach and promotion or move to a more accessible location. Staffing has to be adequate so it does not become a CVS with deficient staffing with the pharmacist working alone with no tech most of the time.

"practicioners are really just retail clerks with similar pay scale"

Current Employee - Practicioner
    Current Employee - Practicioner

I have been working at Pharmaca part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great products, interested customers, wonderful fellow workers

Cons

low pay with no incentives, false promises made upon hiring , no room for change

Advice to Management

When hiring, tell people that the low pay is not going to change. Be honest about the companies bottom line