Pharmaceutical Product Development Reviews in Cambridge, East of England, England | Glassdoor

Pharmaceutical Product Development Cambridge Reviews

Updated July 19, 2017

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

2.3
Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons
David Simmons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to have a work/life balance if you don't learn to say no (in 63 reviews)

• VERY HIGH workload, no work life balance (in 23 reviews)

1. "CRA"

Current Employee - CRA II in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CRA II in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is job security, also there are plenty of training opportunities. Great people work there, have made friends with most of them.

Cons

The overload is huge, the staff turnover very big. Everyone is under big pressure, including management. The stress of not being able to do your job properly.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, decrease workload, retain staff.

2. "Improvements in Operations Finance Department"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

I have always enjoyed the people that I work with at PPD, but since some changes were made at executive management levels, I've seen a real effort to reward employees at all levels for the contributions we make. There is now a social committee and promotions appear to be more frequent (from what I've seen in my team).

There are some more efficient tools and process improvements in development, which management have been updating and training us on regularly.

After some tough change management in 2015/2016, I'm excited about the focus for our department in 2017 to make a real impact on the company.

Cons

Work/life balance is still difficult to achieve here, although it appears to vary from team to team. I anticipate this will get better for everyone once the department is fully staffed.

Advice to Management

Good work on shifting the culture in the finance department to ensure people are being rewarded for their efforts!

Keep working on the new tools and processes that we need in order to do our jobs more efficiently. We have benefited from the good communication updating us on the progress of their development.

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Drug Safety in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Nice office location.
    Possibility to work from home occasionally.

Cons

High turnover of staff is proof that you should stay well away from this dept..

Atmosphere is extremely unprofessional with certain colleagues bullying via micro-managing and scrutinising your every action then reporting back to managers who show blatant favouritism and bias.

Workload is insane as certain managers don't hold existing staff accountable for their actions therefore you'll be forced to do much more than your fair share whilst your colleagues relax and browse the internet for the majority of the day.

Training is absolutely shocking - trained by colleagues with poor communication skills and important information which would enable you to perform your role effectively is purposely withheld leaving you to struggle to figure things out for yourself. Overloaded with SOP's and documents that have no relevance to your role but which you'll never have time to read anyway due to the heavy workload.

Little to no opportunity to get involved in interesting projects - you can literally get stuck indefinitely doing admin work with no elements of science whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Stop encouraging a bullying culture. Treat all staff members equally and fairly, not just those who you are friends with.

4. "Nice team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I worked in was incredibly friendly
    Great transport option to get to office
    Frequent evalutions

Cons

Not much advancement available in my field
    A lot of compulsory training exercises to be completed
    High turnover

"Cambridge Office not the best example of PPD"

Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Junior staff get on really well. Company invested in top IT systems to make the job more interesting. In the UK, Bellshill office the one to go to due to more experienced caring management.

Cons

Inexperienced senior staff with little regard to staff in Cambridge, leading to poor retention and over stretched staff. Due to very poor reputation in the industry only inexperienced staff join the company with experienced staff keeping well away. Any staff with an alternative to the PPD view in this department is not listened to and so things never change for the better. WFH is very difficult to get, even one day a week in this department due to trust issues. Senior staff lack CRO experience outside PPD resulting in poor decisions. Promotion is based on who and not what you know.

Advice to Management

Treat staff with respect and be fair. Don't bend rules to get what you want and spend time solving an issue rather than going for a quick fix that causes further issues down the road

"Could be much better"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great place if you're starting out in the industry because they do lay strong foundations. They aren't afraid to trust you with more responsibility either.

Cons

The flip side of being trusted with responsibility too soon is that the salaries don't keep up. You could easily be doing a role that was previously being done by someone two grades higher.

Too process driven, where even the most basic decision point requires dozens of approvals.

Advice to Management

Make things simpler and pay fairer.

"Finance"

Former Employee - Finance in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

canteen and reception staff are friendly

Cons

Management bullying culture, senior mangers do not want to rock their comfortable jobs to sort the problems out

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff managers are not always what they seem!

"Principal Clinical Research Associate"

Current Employee - CRA in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CRA in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting projects. Good salary, possibility to work at home.

Cons

No work-life balance at all. I work more than full time (1.5 FTE) for a couple of months as some projects seem to be prepared in rush and bad design results in lots of issues. Still upper management is focused on your billability and metrics. No career prospects. High deficiency of resources in clinical management (project assistants, CRAs).

Advice to Management

Stop treating like a employee number. Do trainings, invite employees to attend conferences, workships etc. Award good employees.

"PPD - Pharmacovigilance - Cambridge(UK)"

Former Employee - PVG Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PVG Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

A very busy place. Lots of work. Stable company.

Cons

High turnover of management, lack of experienced people on the top, too much internal politics and covering up of incompetent staff. HR too new to their role. Not a long term career place, unless you have mortgage or family or regional affiliations.

"Slippery slope"

Former Employee - Drug Safety in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Subsidised lunch (if you have time to eat lunch)
    2. If you have good superiors, you might get involved in interesting project.

Cons

1. Derogatory salary
    2. Unprofessional atmosphere
    3. Double standards and internal politics
    4. Lack of benefits
    5. Never Ending overtime (not paid)