Pharmaceutical Product Development Reviews in Raleigh-Durham, NC | Glassdoor

Pharmaceutical Product Development Raleigh Reviews

Updated April 3, 2017

Raleigh-Durham, NC Area

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to have a work/life balance if you don't learn to say no (in 62 reviews)

• VERY HIGH workload, no work life balance (in 23 reviews)

1. "Medical Communications Specialist"

Current Contractor - Medical Communications Specialist in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work as an individual and team player

Cons

Not enough team members, so life/work balance is not good

"Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Medical Communications Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Medical Communications Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. This is the only reason I have stayed as long as I have.

Cons

Constant change - not referring to procedures which is normal. The change is what is expected or wanted from management. Everyday is a new email stating that they have changed their mind.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging the staff and contradicting what is wanted.

"Project Assistant"

Current Employee - Project Assistant in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Project Assistant in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with. Hourly pay

Cons

Too much work. High turnover. Advancement for career growth very low.

"Worst company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Medical Writer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Medical Writer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Home based opportunity is the only benefit to working at PPD. Employees stay only because they can work from home.

Cons

Very impersonal company. You are just a number. Senior leadership for Global Medical Writing and Post Approval Medical Writing are completely incompetent leaders. Post approval medical writing is unable to win new contracts based on bids they submit. Management creates a hostile environment of intimidation and threats. Those who brown nose or pretend to be working except they are at the gym everyday can easily climb the ladder. Those who offer suggestions or ask questions are not afforded growth opportunities. Multiple years of service with no career advancement is typical. Retribution for speaking up is common

Advice to Management

Say thank you.

"Training Records"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, overall a great team. Benefits kick in on date of hire, and they believe in work/life balance (my department) Salary was pretty good.

Cons

Working here I saw high turnover. My department was totally manual and there was tons of paper that needed organization, making it almost impossible to work efficiently. We went through 4 departmental managers in 4 years.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and look into high turnover departments. Ask questions to team members, not only management.

"Statistician"

Former Employee - Bio Statistician in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Bio Statistician in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

Large company with mature standards. There is really not much you would worry about, say risk of being fired. Good location in affordable region with educational resources. Sufficient paid time off.

Cons

Starting salary was not competitive. working environment was not quite ideal. Large room in large office building with limited natural lights. Would be dark without lighting.

"For the most part, a great company"

Current Employee - Consultant Pharmacist in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant Pharmacist in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Good vacation time
    Positive work culture, work with professionals
    Almost everyone is human

Cons

Some clients are better than others to work for. I just switched projects from one client to another. The former client was much more laid back and respectful that I was a professional. The current client is not as respectful. The salary is not comparable to working in retail pharmacy but I do not care as retail pharmacy was killing me. And I think I can speak for most pharmacists who work here with regard to that.

Advice to Management

No comment.

"Decent company, but needs improvement"

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

Very well defined working practices; ability to work from home; good team collaboration and team members; good programs focused on improving health; good distribution on information related to the company

Cons

Very long hours; short staffed; high turnover; low pay compared to other companies

Advice to Management

Better pay to retain valuable employees, particularly for leads based in the US; more emphasis on work/life balance rather than the bottom line

10. "Consultant Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Consultant Pharmacist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Consultant Pharmacist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional environment with other employees

Cons

Cubicle workspaces in large open space

"It is a good company but could be great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here less than 6 months and am really enjoying it so far. It's a technical field and there is a large amount of training (on the job or otherwise) you must complete before you can consider yourself a seasoned pro.

I like the challenges and all of my coworkers are there to help me when I need it.

Others seem very busy and my section is understaffed, management is trying to fill positions to help, which is good.

The pay is good, perhaps lower than industry average in this area but...

This company is willing to put resources in to train you, even if you don't explicitly have strict experience in this field, which is much more than can be said about other companies that require experience that covers a narrow criteria.

Benefits are cheap, especially if you are single. Great 401K matching policy.

Depending on position, a chance to see the world.

Cons

Everyone is spread thin. There is plenty of business.

Little things like scarcity of company paid for perks (think of monthly birthday parties, team building exercises, outings).

Lack of mid-length employee retention due to somewhat sub industry pay.

Some employees have to work nights and/or weekends if they want to keep up with their work.

Health plan deductible is a little high.

Starting PTO is a bit on the low side (about 17 days).

Advice to Management

Set goals the company can achieve. Increase employee pay to match industry standards. Make (unpaid) overtime paid or make it an exception instead of standard practice.

Listen to the suggestions of your employees, we are your greatest asset and want the company to succeed as much as you do.

Promote good employees early and often. Make us feel like valued team members.