Pharmacyclics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wulff-Erik von Borcke

Pros
  • The company has a great drug and is doing very well (in 11 reviews)

• great product that has broad anti cancer activity (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • lock of transparency, mid-level manager is not so support the subordinates to grow/develop, zero skill on managing people; lock of work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Some upper management in clinical ops are unprofessional and hungry for power but no empathy or professionalism (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great compound and excellent place to work"

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at PCYC for more than 2 years in R&D and have seen and personally experienced tremendous change. it used to be a very direct management type of company and is now a much more team based and team empowered place to work. They really emphasize the individual and the role we all play in making this a great place to work. I simply cannot recognize or identify with the very negative reviews that appear on glassdoor. I think everyone including management is working very hard, doing employee surveys, taking action where and when needed, calling out unacceptable behaviors etc. We have good benefits and very importantly very flexible work arrangements with work from home arrangements, remote based employees or employees working from our South San Francisco office. I have worked for a number of pharma and biotech companies and PCYC is absolutely among the top places that I have worked for.

Cons

Growing pains in terms of processes and available IT tools as PCYC moves from a small "start up" to a much more mature company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - it is turning PCYC into a great place to work with an amazing compound

2. "Fast pace environment, high pressure but amazing opportunity to work on Imbruvica"

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Access to various experience working on a very active drug in advanced B-cell malignancies. Getting the opportunity to work on Imbruvica is fabulous given how active it is across B-cell malignancies.

Cons

Lack of formal onboarding and training for new employees, also lack of formal processes and structure . The major definite con is that Imbruvica represents the entire pipeline and they are starting to lose talent because they aren't tapping into Abbvie's pipeline

Advice to Management

More leadership training for executive team

"Zero star should be an option"

Former Employee - Human Resources in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Imbruvica is a great drug. There is a cafeteria. My stock payout after the acquisition. Can't think of anything else.

Cons

I'm writing this so that people who are considering this company will think 3x before stepping foot. Management is horrible and the company allows behaviors you teach your children NOT to do such as yelling at people, bullying, disrespectful, etc. When you go to HR and the executives because you've tried to handle it directly yourself, they are not supportive. In fact HR will just follow whatever the executives wants to happen. Then in return you get targeted as a "trouble maker" and soon enough they push you out the door. The new President 'acts' as if he cares about employees and will talk the talk in public but behind closed doors he is talking about his hidden agenda. You can't trust anyone. Visualize yourself on a boat and you happen to fall out and start drowning. There's a lifesaver that someone can throw to help save you. Normal people would throw it over to help. At PCYC, good luck because you're on your own and hope you can swim because that lifesaver is staying put where it's at even when you're begging for help. You might even see laughter from the people that refuse to help you. Well that scenario is exactly the experience you'll have if you join PCYC.

Ask yourself, why would I spend time even writing this when I can be doing something else? Because I want to share my experience so that people do not go through this horrible experience. This company has a horrible reputation in our industry. The reviews with the 1-2 stars do not lie! Basically enter at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Seek mental support because nothing has helped thus far.

"Interesting work but lack of support to get it done."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics (Less than a year)

Pros

Potentially exciting work because company is growing and changing rapidly.

Cons

Management does not have my back - Assigns too many goals in short time frame, doesn't bother to understand what I'm doing and what the challenges and roadblocks are, doesn't provide tools and resources to enable me to do my job.

Advice to Management

Listen to people doing the work and provide us the tools and resources we need. Promote people to reflect their expanded responsibilities and performance.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience at Pharmacyclics has been great! Even after the AbbVie acquisition, the President and all of Senior Management have continued to be open-minded, respectful, responsive, and are always looking for ways to enhance the culture. The Company is also very mindful of making sure that its employees have work-life balance and flexibility, which is priceless. Don't let the other negative reviews make up your mind about this Company - it is a great place to work.

Cons

The President and Senior Management are proactively and positively trying to change the culture for the better; however, it is frustrating to see some employees who are not helping to make this positive change - but instead, only complain.

"Commercial Organization Frustration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, friendly people, fast pace

Cons

Absolute lack of leadership in the commercial organization. Micromanaging, no vision, no EQ, most people are just hanging on until they can find a way out. Lots of surveys but no sign that they are doing anything with the results

Advice to Management

Need to replace the top two in the market chain if there is hope for a culture change

"Worst company Ever RUN FAR AWAY!!!!"

Former Employee - Procurement Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Procurement Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of anything. If you value yourself you will not work here.

Cons

Terrible mismanaged company on all fronts. The management in the Procurement Department is a joke. no work/ life balance. The departments are all hostile towards one another. There is a reason why it has been rated one of the worst companies to work for on Silicon Valley Business review. Run far away and don't look back. Look at former reviews they are true!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, or your company will FAIL!!

"I am torn..."

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at PCYC has been bumpy so far. There is clearly a culture problem that management is trying to change, so I want to have hope but don't know if it's worth sticking it out. Some of management clearly plays favorites and it's unclear how certain people get promoted while others are not given expectations of what needs to be done. There are definitely some great people here but also some bad apples that need to go. Until the unprofessional people who bully and yell at people are gone, there isn't much hope for things to turn around here. I do believe the CEO cares and is trying to make a difference.

Cons

Harsh culture, some teams work much better than others. no clear path for career growth. it is also unknown what AbbVie has planned for the company in the future.

Advice to Management

Please continue working to improve the culture and make sure employees feel respected, valued, and protected. Find out who the bad apples are and get rid of them. promote the good people who deserve it.

"Hell in a handbasket"

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ibrutinib, really that's all. It does work well.

Cons

Management at all levels is powerless and punitive. If you do well don't expect to be recognized or rewarded. At best someone in upper management will represent your ideas and talent as their own to AbbVie executives. If you make any mistake, or even if someone thinks that you did, expect to be punished. There is no advancement in the company, the expectation from management is that the people here are untalented and therefore nobody is worthy of career development. Let's just bring in another low-ranking person from AbbVie headquarters, give 'em a high-paying job and an inflated title instead. This place is truly horrible.

Advice to Management

Just shut us down. I'd rather be laid off then work another day in hell.

"Good People in Biometrics Group"

Former Employee - Data Management in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Data Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Drug. CDM Leadership and CDM Team. I would have stayed but for the cost of living in the Bay Area. Current leadership doesn't care about OT levels.

Cons

Can be long hours, tough if you have a family. Single with no kids employees or employees who like to escape their families lack understanding that spending time with family is more important than work. Small group of career saboteurs whose only job skill is looking to blame people is probably what can account for the very bad reviews. Identify them quickly and let them know you won't be pushed around and they will cower when confronted directly. Also transition to new ownership is always bumpy in the best of circumstances.

Advice to Management

Watch the CDM team and see how it is done, with positive attitude, mutual support, willingness to intelligently disagree without holding grudges, how not to be a workaholic and still be highly productive.