Pharmacyclics 100 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wulff-Erik von Borcke

Pros
  • Ibrutinib is a great drug with 7 hematologic approvals in 3 years (helping patients), with more to come (in 11 reviews)

• Only few good people in the staff (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance (or perhaps imbalance) (in 9 reviews)

• No understanding by upper management of what it takes to run the day-to-day (in 7 reviews)

"Good People in Biometrics Group"

Former Employee - Data Management in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Data Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Drug. CDM Leadership and CDM Team. I would have stayed but for the cost of living in the Bay Area. Current leadership doesn't care about OT levels.

Cons

Can be long hours, tough if you have a family. Single with no kids employees or employees who like to escape their families lack understanding that spending time with family is more important than work. Small group of career saboteurs whose only job skill is looking to blame people is probably what can account for the very bad reviews. Identify them quickly and let them know you won't be pushed around and they will cower when confronted directly. Also transition to new ownership is always bumpy in the best of circumstances.

Advice to Management

Watch the CDM team and see how it is done, with positive attitude, mutual support, willingness to intelligently disagree without holding grudges, how not to be a workaholic and still be highly productive.

"New culture being created here"

Current Employee - HQ in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - HQ in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Ibrutinib is a great drug with 7 hematologic approvals in 3 years (helping patients), with more to come.
    - Smart and talented commercial leadership, from what I have seen. New President is sensible and experienced. Other commercial talent and leadership, including field, have come from some vintage hematology franchises
    - Opportunity for someone invigorated by helping to create a new innovative, team-oriented, successful culture
    - HQ location in Silicon Valley has some of the best weather in the entire country (great for families), a pleasant surprise for this east coaster

Cons

- There is turnover which is a combination of individuals vested since pre-launch, as well as some bitterness with former pre-acquisition leadership.
    - Processes aren't perfect, as the company evolves from its startup feel
    - Abbvie-company placements/additions have little prior hem/onc experience.

"Intern Experience"

Pros

Learned a lot and good exposure to other departments

Cons

I do not have anything bad to say about my experience

5. "Ridiculous, wouldn't bother applying, trying to get out soon"

Current Employee - Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good drug product, helping save lives

Cons

Some associates make less than our college summer interns. HR gives out "lateral" movements instead of promotions so that can give you the opportunity to learn, but still pay you next to nothing. Stress levels are higher than ever. The AbbVie transition is making things worse. AbbVie expects PCYC to work at the same extremely fast pace, while integrating into AbbVie's systems. AbbVie also wants to be more hands on, which slows things down to their speed, and then blames PCYC employees for not meeting expectations. The second annual employee survey showed no improvements and some worsening. There is still no communication or collaboration across groups, despite the companies minor attempts to foster better community and environment. There is still no foresight and planning, and everything becomes an emergency situation that should have been dealt with yesterday.

In addition, these measures to foster better community are supposed to be voluntary, yet we are being judged on them for annual reviews. How can one be judged on "Ways we Work" that they were never introduced to? Career growth here comes with backstabbing and politics.

Advice to Management

Stop just telling us to try and collaborate and work together better and actually become part of the solution. Don't tell your employees to be perfect, and set limits impossible to achieve. Actually ask for input and take it, don't dismiss it because it isn't the way things are done. The way things have been done is causing the constant turnover and unhappiness.

"AVOID THIS ORGANIZATION AT ALL COSTS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics (Less than a year)

Pros

The primary drug that this company has developed is truly a great drug that is changing and saving lives.

Cons

Where do I begin. Firstly, STAY AWAY from this organization. Recently purchased by AbbVie but NOT a reflection of AbbVie at all. AbbVie is a GREAT company. I have friends who work for AbbVie and it is a MUCH BETTER organization. As part of the acquisition, there is some integration but the organization is essentially run separately.

Inefficiency:
    For a having been a Biotech company, I expected that there would be great efficiencies in how things are done. Wow! How wrong I was. The level of inefficiency is unbelievable. When I first started, I noticed some inconsistencies and so I asked about them. I offered to change them but I was basically told this was how things were done. I'm pretty experienced in the Pharma industry and I have worked for a couple of big pharma companies and a CRO previously. You are told to speak up if you see things or at least question them. I did this and was politely told "this is just the way it is".

Communication:
    I don't know if this organization understands this word at all. Communication from Management to those actually doing the work is extremely poor. And when there IS communication, it is delayed, conflicting or unclear.

Disrespect:
    Disrespect seems to be rampant throughout this organization. I've experience "politics" at work but THIS is simply off the chart. I had a supervisor accuse me of lying. I had all the documentation as proof that I was not. This type of knee-jerk reaction is common. But things with supervisor went from bad to worse. When I requested a new supervisor I was told to consider "If the organization was a good fit for me". Well, that just showed me the writing on the wall.

Overall:
    I feel as though I was generous by providing a rating of one (1) star. The mistreatment and disrespect of employees is not worth it. There are many other companies far better. AbbVie would certainly not approve of their employees being treated in this manner. There are people who have been with this company since inception and they have risen through the ranks simply due to tenure. These individuals are some of the worst. The PCYC culture is not a good one that inspires ideas, confidence and fresh approaches. There are silos that exist and individuals fight to maintain their fiefdom at the expense of those who actually do the work.

Advice to Management

Poor communication, blatant disrespect and increasing inefficiencies are alive and well at PCYC. While your drug is a great one, the word is spreading. From VPs to Directors, they care little to nothing about those who actually do the work. We are asked for ideas and provide them, but are then totally disregarded. The recent Employee Survey speaks clearly to the issues. I came to PCYC only because of AbbVie. I know that AbbVie is an incredible company. PCYC has a loooooong way to go. AbbVie understands this business. PCYC is a one-trick pony (two or three if you look at indications I suppose). The bottom line is, do YOU know how your upper Management, VPs, Directors, Managers are truly handling your people. I don't think so. Look into it sometime. You will be very surprised to see that people are shown little importance and not valued. I move on to provide value to a better organization.

"Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Former Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Former Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics (More than a year)

Pros

Great product and café on-site have reasonable prices or hot/cold meals.

Cons

Since the merge with AbbVie the medical coverage has doubled and all other benefits as well.

Advice to Management

Provide or attend a seminar on how to communicate to all audiences on a professional level.

"What PCYC was like"

Former Employee - Director in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Oakland, CA

Pros

In 2012-2013, it was money and little else

Cons

Intense working environment, arbitrary decisions heavy turnover

Advice to Management

No advice for new management

"Horrible experience"

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time

Pros

Good drug for patients. No other positives that I can think of.

Cons

Unbelievably bad culture. Disrespectful culture all around. Marketing and commercial leadership especially bad, with no experience and not at all inspired or inspiring. Leadership team is full of micromanaging control freaks who can't delegate or trust the employees to do their jobs. Use of profanity at meetings are particularly rampant with certain individuals, even racially insensitive comments are condoned by management and HR just turns a blind eye and does nothing. Stay awaway from the place at all cost. Get out while you can.

Advice to Management

There needs to be punishment or consequences for bad or disrespectful behavior. Do not turn a blind eye. Get rid of people in leadership positions that have no experience or have no idea what they are doing.

"Contract Employee"

Pros

Manager cares for employees. Work-Life balance.

Cons

None at this time of review

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing

"Great Drug...Poor Culture"

Current Employee - Clinical Operations
    Current Employee - Clinical Operations

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The drug is great. The company has potential to be a great place to work but they way they are trying to get there will not work. I really like the president and he doesn't seem to just pay lip service to topics.

Cons

Respect for others is a difficult concept for many of the senior level people. I've been in meeting where senior level people were screaming at each other. The structure of Clin Ops makes no sense and there are a lot of redundancies, just because the title exists it doesn't mean every team needs to have a person in that role. Cross functional interaction is sad and people are very secretive. IT at this company is a joke! Manager has absolutely no respect for my personal time (i.e don't call or text your employee at 9pm or on a Saturday about non-urgent matters).

Advice to Management

Voluntold training will not improve the culture of the company. The only way to change it is if the rude different people are punished by HR or their managers. Also I believe company needs a organizational overhaul.