Pharmacyclics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 10, 2019

2.3
Wulff-Erik von Borcke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "To work with such a great drug is not just much easier, but way more rewarding with great personal and professional satisfactions" (in 18 reviews)

• "smart people and positive work environment, great product, & they are truly focused on addressing and improving previous issues" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only thing that trickles down to employees is the toxic environment that upper management fosters quite well" (in 12 reviews)

• "Very poor management and no leadership" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"good company with great future"

Current Employee - Clinical Development Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Development Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some of the recent reviews of Pharmacyclics have really upset me. I have been with the company almost 5 years and i have witnessed tremendous change for the better - in overall culture, the way we work and interact, much much less finger pointing and blaming when things do not go according to plan. Good comp and benefits and very flexible work arrangements. I have worked for other companies in R&D (currently in Development here at PCYC) and I can honestly say, the way PCYC functions now makes it one of the best companies I have ever worked for. Not perfect but definitely among the best. Now with the recently announced full integration into AbbVie any concerns about pipeline and opportunities should evaporate. That is why I simply cannot understand some of the recent negative reviews. They do NOT reflect what it is like here at PCYC and do not do justice to how far we have come!

Cons

Decision making at times takes a bit long and some of our processes and systems are not what they need to be to enable us to deliver most efficiently.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!!

2. "Enjoyed my time while I was there"

Former Employee - IT Help Desk in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - IT Help Desk in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people to work with. IT had a great system put in place while I was there.

Cons

Lots of moving parts in the company. One small thing can effect a lot of other things.

Advice to Management

N./A

3. "Great Team and Even Better Manager!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, US Commercial in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, US Commercial in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I think of my experience at Pharmacyclics, the following quote on leadership comes to mind, "Employees don't leave Companies, they leave their Managers." I am fortunate enough to have such a great manager and surrounded by a wonderful team. It makes all the difference.

Cons

Hiring the wrong people for the wrong roles.
    RSU grants are less than other manufacturers I've worked for.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to hire the right people and promote more within.

"When a good company gets acquired"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great small casts of smart and innovative leadership -

Cons

Upon acquisitions most of the great, smart, leaders exited ... took their monies(profits from the sale) and left...

Advice to Management

Create a plan employees and managers know about and feel will aid in stabilizing the company

"Disorganized organization!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to approach the management.

Cons

No promotions
    They can't take care of their employees
    You'll end up feeling undervalued
    Technologically backward
    Resistant to change
    Poor and unfair pay scale

Advice to Management

You should give your employees a proper idea of their future. If your company is being acquired by another company, all the employees at least deserve to know whether they'll have jobs after the merger or not.

"treat the real working people poorly"

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OK benefit with 5% 401 K match and pension plan.

Cons

poor management. treat the working people poorly.

"A bad place."

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You receive a paycheck.
    -Free breakfast on Fridays.
    -Shuttle service from SF and the East Bay.

Cons

-Toxic Culture: Coworkers are horribly condescending, they will not help you out and may even laugh at you for asking for help. Rude email communication is common here. Everyone appears overworked, stressed, and miserable.

-Lack of accountability: Your manager will be unable to manage her own workload and will reassign all of her undone work to you. Thus, what would have been a mundane task one month ago is now an *URGENT PRIORITY* that you are now taking the fall for. Actually, everything is a priority here due to teams unable to get their act together in time (the concept of deadlines doesn't exist here); no they won't take responsibility for this but they will try to throw you under the bus at any given chance.

-IT/Technology: Employees are not trained in how to leverage technology to increase efficiency. The IT team is not helpful - if you actually get through to someone on the team, their response to your question will be "I don't know about that." Then maybe do your job and find out how? It is mind-blowing what people get away with here.

Advice to Management

-Stop hiring randoms for senior/leadership roles
    -Stop ignoring the culture problem
    -Stop blatantly playing favorites
    -Hope that AbbVie doesn't find you redundant

"The worst parts of big pharma"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ibrutinib is an excellent molecule which benefits many patients. Regulatory, PR, ClinDev, and the Stats depts seem good. But the good days are over after the Abbie acquisition. It was a nice ride. This is now very much big pharma.

Cons

The worst parts of big pharma. Poor equity. Quadruple rep pod structure trying to all call on the same docs. Prumary care style selling direction with no reprints. Certain depts are led by inexperienced leaders, and as a result are the absolute worst in the industry: legal transactions/contracting, compliance, and forecasting. Ibrutinib has publicly failed a couple recent trials, which limits professional advancement within a 1 product company. Company is moving its entire campus (which depts go to Chicago?), and major uncertainty as to how it will completely integrate into the Abbie mothership over the next 12 months. 3+ other BTK companies with imminent competitive approvals on the horizon. Company is starting to hemorrhage a lot of talented people.

Advice to Management

President is well-meaning, but company dissatisfaction surveys do not result in actionable changes, key findings are swept under the rug, and he does not address low performers or toxic malignant individuals within the organization.

"No Recognition for hard work"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone seems to be here to collect their salary from 9-to-5

Cons

After working here for many years, no recognition. Managers have no managerial skills. Benefit get reduced.

Advice to Management

Keep collecting your pennies for every second that you are working here.

"Distasteful Management"

Pros

Not one thing .. Same horrible politics lame clinical staff and lame managers

Cons

Everything about this site is awful at best. Marmots ran amock here. Abbvie made a mistake . Secretary’s in high positions

Advice to Management

Get a clue