Pharmacyclics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 24, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wulff-Erik von Borcke

Pros
  • Ibrutinib is a great drug with 7 hematologic approvals in 3 years (helping patients), with more to come (in 11 reviews)

• Some really good people, strong molecule (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance (or perhaps imbalance) (in 9 reviews)

• No understanding by upper management of what it takes to run the day-to-day (in 7 reviews)

"Horrible culture still perpetuated by old PCYC Sr leaders"

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time

Pros

Some really good people, strong molecule

Cons

No pipeline (uncertain future) and the culture is a textbook example of a company that grew but still has some leaders operating in a small company mentality (wanting to micromanage, participate in every decision even though they add no value, wear many hats, deviate from processes, not comply with new guidance regarding behaviors and operational efficiency initiative, not showing up for meetings, etc.). This company will not change until these old souls move on to another small company. Promotions are purely based on politics and favoritism; if you know how to play the game you can go far, now if you want to be recognized for good work, this is not the place for you. Also, compensation is a joke.

Advice to Management

Get rid of old PCYC sr leadership. Abbvie should just take over.

"If only zero stars were an option"

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time

Pros

The people I actually work with are great. Very cooperative, enthusiastic, and supportive. The stakeholders are fine.

Cons

The legal department is cray cray. Contracts ("legal transactions group") is seriously dysfunctional without the fun. So many people have left (either fired because they're "not in alignment with Abbvie" or jump ship because no one wants to work at a job that makes you miserable), most of the people still here want to leave and are looking, and all management does is re-stock the pool with random temps who are desperate to work anywhere, even if it is at below-market wages. The reputation of lawyers being know-it-all jerks is well deserved because the attorneys in charge are conceited, full of themselves, and completely in denial about the damage they're inflicting on the department. Plus, they're just RUDE. They will casually ignore you because they just don't think you're worthy of their time. It's very awkward to cross paths in close proximity with the person in charge of your department and not be acknowledged. "I know you see me! I see you looking away and scurrying off!" Maybe that's what they learned as the "Abbvie way" but that is not how you treat your subordinates, even if they are multiple levels beneath you. I may not have "counsel" in my title but I'm still a human being worthy of respect. There are good people here who do good work, but management treats everyone like they're less than nothing and should be grateful for not being fired. A good manager will inspire you to want to do your best and will earn your loyalty by showing you support and encouragement, not by beating you down and constantly telling you that you're deficient. If you say that you're unhappy about something, the managers just tell you, "oh well, it's not going to change so leave if you don't like it. I support your departure so let me know what I can do to help you get that next job." Gee, thanks for really making me feel like a valued member of the team. I don't think my manager is out to get me per se because I don't think she cares about me that much, but my manager is indifferent to me being here. Or not. Whatever. Basically, the attorneys in charge do everything possible to make you feel disrespected and not valued. HR knows there's some serious stink going on in Legal but it's easier to change out the people at the bottom then change out the people at the top. Also, Abbvie thinks PCYC titles are inflated, so of course, getting a raise or promotion is next to impossible. Without the possibility of moving forward in your career, what is the point? So terrible. The worst. A nightmare. Demoralizing. Sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Read a book on improving your communication skills and how to manage people. Treat people with respect, not like they're disposable. Basically, do the opposite of everything you're doing now. When people leave, do not delude yourself with the notion that "so-and-so just found a better fit somewhere else." People leaving is a direct consequence of you sucking really really hard.

3. "WHAT IN THE ACTUAL.....?!?!?!?!?!"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The admin staff is really cool here...they work very well together...especially the ladies in Executive Row! I am going to miss them dearly. The people I worked with in the helpdesk are amazing too! I will miss the Director of the helpdesk the most though..The pay is okay and the benefits are pretty good...as far as I know from the FTE's

Cons

Oh...where do I begin?!?!?!?!? The 'Ways We Work' are totally subjective...and seem to only apply to the non-management staff...I don't know about the management in other departments, but the IT management is completely confused.....they demean their staff and cut them down in meeting settings...they condescend to their staff and make them feel like their opinions don't matter....they make the contractors do the lion share of the work and the FTE's are, for the most part, clueless and will toss a contractor under the proverbial bus for ANY reason they can...there are managers...directors...leading departments that they have NO BACKGROUND in!

Advice to Management

Treat your contractors better and make good on promises to assign mentors if you truly want to indoctrinate someone into a culture that you don't adhere to yourself...

"Ridiculous, wouldn't bother applying, trying to get out soon"

Current Employee - Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good drug product, helping save lives

Cons

Some associates make less than our college summer interns. HR gives out "lateral" movements instead of promotions so that can give you the opportunity to learn, but still pay you next to nothing. Stress levels are higher than ever. The AbbVie transition is making things worse. AbbVie expects PCYC to work at the same extremely fast pace, while integrating into AbbVie's systems. AbbVie also wants to be more hands on, which slows things down to their speed, and then blames PCYC employees for not meeting expectations. The second annual employee survey showed no improvements and some worsening. There is still no communication or collaboration across groups, despite the companies minor attempts to foster better community and environment. There is still no foresight and planning, and everything becomes an emergency situation that should have been dealt with yesterday.

In addition, these measures to foster better community are supposed to be voluntary, yet we are being judged on them for annual reviews. How can one be judged on "Ways we Work" that they were never introduced to? Career growth here comes with backstabbing and politics.

Advice to Management

Stop just telling us to try and collaborate and work together better and actually become part of the solution. Don't tell your employees to be perfect, and set limits impossible to achieve. Actually ask for input and take it, don't dismiss it because it isn't the way things are done. The way things have been done is causing the constant turnover and unhappiness.

6. "Stay-away from this company"

Former Contractor - Finance in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Contractor - Finance in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics as a contractor

Pros

- Location is convenient and there are many good restaurants nearby.
    - Onsite Cafe offers $5 lunch
    - reasonable hourly rate

Cons

- unprofessional management. Many mid-level managers coming directly from AbbVie/Abbott show don't fit bay area culture. Requesting too much without giving enough guidance.
    - no documentation, no process, no policy and everything is a mess
    - high turnover and too many senior employees
    - bad culture

Advice to Management

Be professional. Spend more time managing your reportees instead of kissing your manager's...

"AVOID THIS ORGANIZATION AT ALL COSTS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics (Less than a year)

Pros

The primary drug that this company has developed is truly a great drug that is changing and saving lives.

Cons

Where do I begin. Firstly, STAY AWAY from this organization. Recently purchased by AbbVie but NOT a reflection of AbbVie at all. AbbVie is a GREAT company. I have friends who work for AbbVie and it is a MUCH BETTER organization. As part of the acquisition, there is some integration but the organization is essentially run separately.

Inefficiency:
    For a having been a Biotech company, I expected that there would be great efficiencies in how things are done. Wow! How wrong I was. The level of inefficiency is unbelievable. When I first started, I noticed some inconsistencies and so I asked about them. I offered to change them but I was basically told this was how things were done. I'm pretty experienced in the Pharma industry and I have worked for a couple of big pharma companies and a CRO previously. You are told to speak up if you see things or at least question them. I did this and was politely told "this is just the way it is".

Communication:
    I don't know if this organization understands this word at all. Communication from Management to those actually doing the work is extremely poor. And when there IS communication, it is delayed, conflicting or unclear.

Disrespect:
    Disrespect seems to be rampant throughout this organization. I've experience "politics" at work but THIS is simply off the chart. I had a supervisor accuse me of lying. I had all the documentation as proof that I was not. This type of knee-jerk reaction is common. But things with supervisor went from bad to worse. When I requested a new supervisor I was told to consider "If the organization was a good fit for me". Well, that just showed me the writing on the wall.

Overall:
    I feel as though I was generous by providing a rating of one (1) star. The mistreatment and disrespect of employees is not worth it. There are many other companies far better. AbbVie would certainly not approve of their employees being treated in this manner. There are people who have been with this company since inception and they have risen through the ranks simply due to tenure. These individuals are some of the worst. The PCYC culture is not a good one that inspires ideas, confidence and fresh approaches. There are silos that exist and individuals fight to maintain their fiefdom at the expense of those who actually do the work.

Advice to Management

Poor communication, blatant disrespect and increasing inefficiencies are alive and well at PCYC. While your drug is a great one, the word is spreading. From VPs to Directors, they care little to nothing about those who actually do the work. We are asked for ideas and provide them, but are then totally disregarded. The recent Employee Survey speaks clearly to the issues. I came to PCYC only because of AbbVie. I know that AbbVie is an incredible company. PCYC has a loooooong way to go. AbbVie understands this business. PCYC is a one-trick pony (two or three if you look at indications I suppose). The bottom line is, do YOU know how your upper Management, VPs, Directors, Managers are truly handling your people. I don't think so. Look into it sometime. You will be very surprised to see that people are shown little importance and not valued. I move on to provide value to a better organization.

"Horrible experience"

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time

Pros

Good drug for patients. No other positives that I can think of.

Cons

Unbelievably bad culture. Disrespectful culture all around. Marketing and commercial leadership especially bad, with no experience and not at all inspired or inspiring. Leadership team is full of micromanaging control freaks who can't delegate or trust the employees to do their jobs. Use of profanity at meetings are particularly rampant with certain individuals, even racially insensitive comments are condoned by management and HR just turns a blind eye and does nothing. Stay awaway from the place at all cost. Get out while you can.

Advice to Management

There needs to be punishment or consequences for bad or disrespectful behavior. Do not turn a blind eye. Get rid of people in leadership positions that have no experience or have no idea what they are doing.

"IT is a mess"

Current Employee - Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics (More than a year)

Pros

No pros. It's a mess

Cons

This place is a mess. Don't ever work here.

Advice to Management

Try to have some process. Ways we work ain't help

"Company clearly not worried about attrition rate in January"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very good people, good drug, a few changes are finally being implemented, unfortunately for most of us, too little too late.

Cons

Sunnyvale location is too expensive and too far from talent pool. Poor leadership, nobody feels valued or appreciated, old school style of management (working remotely is only allowed once a day and it is frowned upon)... BAD BENEFITS! (Medical coverage for 2017 is a joke: high deductibles and high out of pocket maximums). Maybe the message is that they don't care if people leave but for the ones that are here, that makes the workload unbearable. Finally, hiring decent talent is IMPOSSIBLE because the company reputation is shot.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees with better leadership, rewards, better benefits, and get rid of the old/bad apples! Rebrand the company as AbbVie or some other name because no decent talent in the Bay Arra will apply for Pharmacyclics!

"AbbVie benefits = downgraded health and 401k benefits"

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time

Pros

a lot of nice people
    a lot of opportunitity
    chance to improve patients' lives
    things are getting better, or were....see cons

Cons

Recent AbbVie benefits conversions have majorly downgraded our 401K and our 2017 health insurance offerings are either low monthly premium and high deductable or high monthly premium and low deductable. Either way, they cost significantly more for less.

Our 401K recently switched to an AbbVie consultant puppet, with fewer investment offerings than our previous vendor, Principal. Also, Principal had retirement consultants come on-site multiple times per year and we could talk on the phone with them. With AbbVie, you have to pay to talk with a retirement consultant. Where is the value proposition for employees?

After AbbVie acquired Pharmacyclics, our health plans stayed the same and the monthly premiums increased slightly. Yeah, I get everything does get a little more expensive over time. Boom, cut to the the 2017 health benefit offerings. New plans and insurance companies: two high deductable plans, high-premium PPOs or Kaiser. For a family, you're either looking at $75 monthly premium with $7600 (yes, 7-6-0-0) deductable or Kaiser for $365 with no deductable or PPO for around $450 premium and $500 deductable. What you pay for medications, medical services, hospitalizations, etc. is similar across all plans (except Kaiser) and it's generally way higher than it was in 2016. If you can afford the monthly premium can you afford to pay for the care?

It's a sad day when a small startup with one product can provide better employee benefits than a large biopharma like AbbVie- or at least the benefits show you where they choose to place value and not place value. I need to provide for my loved ones and I'm having trouble seeing the value proposition in these benefits...

Erick is a marketing guy, I get it, but it doesn't matter how you polish or spin downgraded benefits- they're still clearly downgraded benefits.

Advice to Management

Where can I find great benefits? I need to provide for my loved ones and I'm having trouble seeing the value proposition in these benefits...