Pharmacyclics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 9, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wulff-Erik von Borcke

Pros
  • The company has a great drug and is doing very well (in 13 reviews)

• great product that has broad anti cancer activity (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • All the comments about lack of work/life balance and fair treatment of employees were certainly true a few months ago (in 9 reviews)

• At best someone in upper management will represent your ideas and talent as their own to AbbVie executives (in 8 reviews)

1. "New change"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Acquisition by Abbvie which is causing the company to head down the right direction.
    New approved indications leading to company growth.

Cons

Building stages for the company

"Good People in Biometrics Group"

Former Employee - Data Management in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Data Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Drug. CDM Leadership and CDM Team. I would have stayed but for the cost of living in the Bay Area. Current leadership doesn't care about OT levels.

Cons

Can be long hours, tough if you have a family. Single with no kids employees or employees who like to escape their families lack understanding that spending time with family is more important than work. Small group of career saboteurs whose only job skill is looking to blame people is probably what can account for the very bad reviews. Identify them quickly and let them know you won't be pushed around and they will cower when confronted directly. Also transition to new ownership is always bumpy in the best of circumstances.

Advice to Management

Watch the CDM team and see how it is done, with positive attitude, mutual support, willingness to intelligently disagree without holding grudges, how not to be a workaholic and still be highly productive.

3. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hiring manager and co-workers were excellent. Projects were very stimulating and rewarding. The company really cared about setting up a good internship program, so there was a lot of support that came from around the company in that regard.

Cons

Definitely noticed that the culture is a work in progress. There are a lot of changes going on since the company was acquired. Expectations for interns was pretty uneven across the board, so your experience really depended on who your manager was.

Advice to Management

Work on creating stability within the company and try to increase transparency with respect to future plans.

"It isn't all bad"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In Biometrics there is a lot of collaboration between Stats, Stat Programmers and CDM. People are smart, hardworking and still have fun. Come here for an excellent Chinese New Year party. We strive for quality, speed and efficiency. We are proud that our work results in approvals for a drug that has clearly changed the landscape for patients. Yes, I am a real employee and I approve this message.

Cons

The Friday breakfast has too many carbs. There are some managers in other departments that rule by intimidation. I miss my PCYC stock options and ESPP.

Advice to Management

Walk the Talk about Ways We Work and ensure that staff are treated with respect. Keep Erik - he rocks and I trust him

6. "Sr. SAS Programmer"

Current Employee - Statistical Programmer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Statistical Programmer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics (More than a year)

Pros

Its friendly environment
    good to work

Cons

Its an good company to work freely no tensitions

"Insider"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time

Pros

The company has performed extremely well over the last 7 years - there are many great opportunities pending.

Cons

Constant pressure, limited accountability, some departments do not perform as well as others which impacts morale. Corporate communication has never been great - some degree of uncertainty relative to the AbbVie purchase.

Advice to Management

don't just say it - do it... If you're serious about retention then roll out AbbVie benefits to Pharmacyclics employees.

"Getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great drug and is doing very well. You can make a big impact here and really add to your career development.

Cons

All the comments about lack of work/life balance and fair treatment of employees were certainly true a few months ago. However management is making a real effort to improve things and I have certainly felt improvement recently. It is really unfortunate that sooooo many people were fired or left very angry. I truly hope this chapter is done for the company and we can move into a more rational environment where people will stay for years.

Advice to Management

The recent focus on reducing employee turnover is great. For the first time, I feel the company has prioritized the well being of employees. The stress of being fired on any given day for making some mistake is going down. This is key to long term retention. Give us a chance to take managed risks, make some mistakes and learn. Please assume we are all trying to learn and grow with no bad intentions. In this kind of environment I don't see why anyone would want to leave. Please help make this happen.

9. "Drug Safety Specialist"

Former Employee - Drug Safety Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Drug Safety Specialist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was wonderful and included meeting with management, directors, upper level management and support personnel.The working conditions and office space is very nice. There is excellent training and managerial support from the Director level down . The company provides breakfast every Friday.

Cons

Actually the only negative issue is the traffic. The freeways are always crowded so to go 20 miles takes over two hours sometimes but this is Southern California and that would be the same in any company there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and employee support. I liked having a mentor in another department so I could get a feel for what happens in other areas of the company. If there could be less meetings during the middle of the day when work is pressing it would be nice.

"Exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First NDA approved, so people still have adrenalin for their jobs

Cons

Too much work, salaries, benefit package not as good as other employers. Not enough information sharing. Promotions unbalanced. Too much turnover.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits. Hire more people.

"Great opportunity, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

The company has a fantastic lead drug candidate that should be a blockbuster. The organization is still pretty small (a little over 100 people) so you can make a big impact, great for career development. Most people are very friendly and easy to work with. Generally a great place to work.

Cons

Management seems to be very into status symbols and making sure staff knows its place. A lot of effort has gone into making executive offices nicer than others with special glass and chairs that others can't have. This creates a have vs. have-not mentality that is not good for morale. A real shame since this takes away from so many positives the company has.

Advice to Management

Remember you are successful due to the hard work of all the people that work for you. When you lavish yourselves with lots of extras, it damages morale in ways that are very hard to repair. The more you can provide the same benefits to everyone, the better it will be.