Phat Buddha Yogawear Reviews | Glassdoor

Phat Buddha Yogawear Reviews

2.2
Alissa Benishai

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "ITS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor

I have been working at Phat Buddha Yogawear as a contractor

Pros

Very Hands on
    Chill and friendly environment
    Free fitness classes
    Free clothing
    Fun!

HONESTLY, the internship is what you MAKE OF IT! I started as an intern here and 3 months later I was offered a part time position. I have a great relationship with the staff and CEO. The work environment is great and I was fortunate to learn so much quickly. I've seen many girls take their position for granted and not earn the opportunities that they could've. Yes it was madness, but the level of intimacy and responsibility can't be duplicated anywhere else in them fashion industry.

Cons

Can be overwhelming at times

Advice to Management

Hire less interns.

"Phat Buddha Yogawear Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Phat Buddha Yogawear as an intern

Pros

There was nothing positive from my experience.

Cons

VERY disorganized, poorly management, I wasn't compensated for the time I worked when I was told I was going to be paid, I was also told that there were opportunities to grow which was not true at all. The CEO is very dramatic, immature and very rude.

"Unpaid interns keep the company running"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Phat Buddha Yogawear as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice CEO, but little value placed on loyalty and relationships.

Cons

I interned for a short time after graduation and was never sure what the plan was, did a few projects and ran errands for the CEO. Short lived--once I realized there was probably no chance of pay in the near future. CEO does not design anything. All clothes are pre-fab and she just chooses colors and adds the logo.

Advice to Management

Not everyone can afford to be unpaid for an indefinite period of time.

Phat Buddha Yogawear Response

Jan 4, 2016 – Team Member

Hi! Thank you for your review. We're sorry that your experience wasn't as fabulous as we hoped, but allow us to address a few of your concerns. There are definitely opportunities for career... More

4. "Learned Nothing."

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

People are nice to work with. Really chilled environment, almost too relaxed.

Cons

Honestly this is my first day, but from this first day, I can tell I won't be learning anything from this company. There is no real office, no structure, and nobody is really doing anything. From 9 to 5, the most productive thing I did is posted 3 times on Instagram or some social media stuff. All day I am texting my friends or pretended I am working on something. I learned nothing and felt like I wasted my time and money (transportation & lunch) as this is an unpaid internship. The company is mediocre and the CEO talks about her love life more than work. I had enough of this in one day and I decided I can no longer waste my valuable time in there.

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many interns to do the same jobs. Give more structure so that people know what is going on or what they need to do.

5. "Easy, but boring"

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Phat Buddha Yogawear as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty chill, relaxed atmosphere
    Easy--only had a couple rote tasks to complete each day, leaving me with a lot of free time

Cons

Felt like I had no real responsibilities, didn't really learn anything
    Almost felt like a waste of time

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many interns

6. "Avoid! This company preys on interns!"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Phat Buddha Yogawear as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch after you bring your lunch to work. Free yoga clothing to whomever the CEO currently favors.

Cons

I had a nice interview with the assistant there, but I felt like she was trying to stall because the CEO was late. Then when I was leaving the CEO appeared briefly. I never wanted to go back but I felt like the assistant liked me so much that she begged me to come back to intern. She was lovely and I'll never forget her.

Originally I was set to do a PR internship there, but I went to the sketchy residential building to unpack and deliver clothing at the weirdest times of day. Also I was to go trunk shows for hours while the CEO prances around the city. After the trunk shows she would tell us to wash the yoga clothing we wore to model to put back in the showroom. Totally gross. Plus the clothing isn't that great.

The CEO runs an operation that keeps the department of labor running...

Advice to Management

Get honest and real. Stop projecting that you a healthy and moral, because your not. Your reality is false.

7. "Great potential for growth, but not an ideal internship"

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Phat Buddha Yogawear as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-You learn so much and are given responsibility when you ask.
    -Random free coffee, lunches, yoga attire (if you're seeing a client), yoga passes...
    -There is a good social aspect because you work with other people your age
    -I'd recommend this if you need an internship and can afford to work unpaid

Cons

-It felt very unprofessional and almost not legitimate
    -The work environment was not nice
    -Long days with somewhat boring work if you did not request other assignments
    -unpaid internships with no compensation other than school credit

Advice to Management

It would be great to give interns better structure. Give them a welcome packet, folder and let them know tasks ahead of time. Maybe even give interns their own space in the office so they feel important. Overall, just organization seems to be what is lacking,. But this is enough to really change a work environment.

"Very disappointed with the way the company was run and the expectations I expected from the designer"

Pros

Learn more about the fashion industry, it is very hands-on, you get to go on meetings with the company

Cons

Even if you get hired the pay is nothing, you will be told you will be hired and have more opportunities but it doesn't happen, and the company is not run well

Advice to Management

To treat interns with respect and pay employees