Pheaa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
James L. Preston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent wages, good benefits, good paid time off accrual, room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• pay is great for a college student (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory overtime up to 10 hours per week for months at a time & nearly impossible to schedule time off unless you do it about 1 year in advance (in 21 reviews)

• For a long time we required 10 hours of mandatory overtime when pheaa wanted us to work it (in 9 reviews)

1. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Pheaa full-time

Pros

Great manager in the Mechanicsburg location

Cons

Corporate leaders seem to be somewhat dysfunctional

2. "Harassment in the workplace."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The checks are good. And be benefits are nice.

Cons

Micro managed. Favoritism among peers.
    They do not care about your well-being.
    Mandatory overtime. Unless you kiss up to someone you'll never move up the line.

Advice to Management

If somebody goes to HR twice then goes to the vice president twice then the union twice. And they still do not solve the matter of a upper supervisor harassing you. I would definitely say stay away from this company. They cause nothing but mental abuse.

3. "Unwilling to change"

I have been working at Pheaa full-time

Pros

Decent wages, good benefits, good paid time off accrual, room for advancement

Cons

Poor communication, unwilling to take advice of other employees and poor retention.

Advice to Management

Take the advice of people who have been on the phones much longer than some of the more tenured people in management. Just because someone has been here for a long period of time does not mean they have all the answers. Not taking peoples suggestions causes many people to get discouraged and leave the company.

"Toxic Legal Department"

Former Employee - Attorney in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Attorney in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Higher pay than other state agencies

Cons

Upper management of the legal department micromanages, lies about direct reports, treats all employees terribly. Upper management is paranoid and has mental health issues. Upper management will stop speaking to people if they are upset with them, for weeks and months at a time. Upper management ridicules employees to their face and behind their backs. Upper management delights in saying no to people in other business units. This is by far the worst place I have ever worked in and I have worked retail and in restaurants.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to go. The top down toxicity won't stop unless upper management is gone.

5. "Decent Place to Work, Environment Aside"

I worked at Pheaa full-time

Pros

Decent wages, opportunities for advancement, great in-house training for career development, nice onsite amenities, plenty of onsite parking, great benefits.

Cons

Location; the commute into Harrisburg in the AM can be brutal and just as bad leaving in the PM. Depending on your shift and residence. Heavy workloads and lots of mandatory overtime. Employees with a cliquish attitude who really only want to see "their own" succeed. Benefits were a little costly.

Advice to Management

Do more to ensure employees are working in a professional manner, in the best interest of your company. Do more to ensure employees who are chosen to be hired, promoted, or fired are the selected in the best interest of PHEAA, not a "clique" of employees within. Though, this is a problem I do not believe has come to dominate your entire company, it is a problem that needs addressing. I am basing this on conversations with several former employees, a few of your current employees, and my own experience.

The workloads and overtime issues may be cured with additional staff. This could possibly be addressed by addressing the environment issues. More quality employees may be inclined to stay. The retention of trained and qualified staff should increase productivity. Increased productivity means less need for overtime.

Aside from those concerns, I believe there is plenty of opportunity for professional and career growth there. An employee can potential progress significantly during their career with PHEAA.

6. "Poor Working Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Pheaa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay & benefits once you become a state employee. Accrue sick & annual leave and may qualify for FMLA. Most coworkers are very nice & you receive scheduled lunches & breaks. Overtime is paid at time & a half.

Cons

Poor management that treats their workers as disposable robots. Mandatory overtime up to 10 hours per week for months at a time & nearly impossible to schedule time off unless you do it about 1 year in advance.

Advice to Management

Understand that we have lives outside of our jobs and the turnover rate is so high that you really should appreciate those that have stuck it out with the company instead of always having us fear that we will lose our jobs.

7. "over worked"

Former Employee - CSR-1 in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

overtime really makes the check, benefits, union, snack days.

Cons

over worked, mandatory overtime is all year around and it is very draining, no balance. no such thing as a break from the phone madness.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are humans and not robots.

8. "Specialist"

I have been working at Pheaa full-time

Pros

Great medical benefits and generous time off.

Cons

Lack of management, outdated technology, no flexibility between career and life balance.

"Meh"

Former Employee - Loan Counselor
    Former Employee - Loan Counselor

I worked at Pheaa full-time

Pros

The other employees, the cafeteria

Cons

The pay, the hours, upper management does not believe in the mission

Advice to Management

Do better.

10. "An okay job"

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good medical benefits except for the entry level wage position at the call center. State positions offer decent benefits. Stable job if you are able to get through training. Most of your work is done independently.

Cons

Consistent 10 hours mandatory overtime each week (for the past few years), which is difficult to manage if you have a long commute. Lots of turnover for this reason. Not much opportunity to advance.