Pheaa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James L. Preston

Pros
  • Opportunity for advancement, good benefits package, fair salary (in 9 reviews)

• Free parking and made some great friends (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory Overtime destroys your work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• There is no room for growth unless you sleep with someone or are a suck up and buy fancy coffee and doughnuts for your manager and leads (in 4 reviews)

1. "Loan Counselor"

Former Employee - Loan Counselor in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Loan Counselor in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great. You start out 11.50 as a clerical wage employee. If you start your shift after 11 AM you get a dollar increase. After you are their for a year, you can apply for a state position. Which will bump you up to $14.23/$15.23 ,depending on your shift.
    Emoloyee Relations Committee is a great incentive.
    Snack Days.
    Potential for advancement.

Cons

Management sucks.
    You get three breaks, 2 15 Minute breaks and a 30 Minute lunch. Yeah, sounds all good but you also have to use this if you need to go to the bathroom. Which messes with your time.
    Management Targets People.
    Favoritism.

Advice to Management

BE FAIR AND LAY OFF OF THE EMPLOYEES THAT WORK HARD FOR YOU!

2. "Not worth it"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chester, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for growth

You'll leave being able to deal with all sort of people

Cons

It's a call center - you gotta be psychologically prepared to deal with rude people on the phone all day

Most calls are the same

Worst manager I've ever worked with, lacks interest in the company and ignores employees' concerns

Office is in the middle of nowhere

Mandatory overtime, sometimes 10 extra hours per week, this happened for over a year. Several people left because of this

The HR person is a ghost

Many employees have little regard for workplace taboo topics like religion, politics, etc

3. "The experience was exceptional at the beginning, though declined due to changes in management."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to be professional and assist people with information on how to best repay their debts. I was able to learn in great detail the student loan process.

Cons

I was overlooked for processing application training. I was on the phone for a straight 4 in a half years. Management was by definition anarchy.

Advice to Management

The advice I would be given would only be to remain consistent with the employer's quo.

4. "Really any other work would be better"

Current Employee - Loan Counselor in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Loan Counselor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Pheaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent. Benefits are great if you're state level.

Cons

Dealing with irritable "borrowers" who insult, degrade, and cuss you out, threaten you, your family. Never allowed to hang up on these miserable people, if one of them complains about you you're fired.
    Mandatory OT.
    No room for advancement, the rest of the company refuses to allow employees up and out of collection jobs.

Advice to Management

Lay off on the OT, people higher up certainly aren't putting a second in more than they have to, forcing the workers to work long hours when management doesn't, no thanks.

5. "Transitional Job"

Former Employee - CSR-1 in Chester, PA
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Chester, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience, pay(if you have roommates), ot;overtime, I was able to pay off some debt when I had roommates.

Cons

Pay(if you live by yourself or have a family), micro manage, you're treated like a robot, favoritism( I've never dealt with it but I've witnessed it), mandatory ot up to 10 hours or you'll be fired,

Advice to Management

You need to remember you're working with human beings and not robots. Acknowledge this job can and will take a mental toll on your employees.

6. "CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people. Some very good management. Climate controlled office environment. Paid training. Stability in company.

Cons

Metric driven. A lot of new hires have no clue how to act in a professional environment, or to actually work for a honest days pay. Favoritism from management.

Advice to Management

Some employees appear to be let go because they are not 'top performers', in a environment that has people quitting in droves, and has a terrible reputation. New hires every week, constant turnover. Quality of job varies greatly depending on dept.

7. "Inflexible"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

potential to become PA state employee

Cons

inflexible, environment very bright and noisy/loud, large open rooms with hundreds of staff

Advice to Management

more flexibility with rules,

8. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Wage Clerk - Records Management in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Wage Clerk - Records Management in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gym
    Office environment
    Long dress down periods

Cons

They took it 300$ each pay for my son to be on the insurance, management was horrible , you were expected to not have any days off in a 6 month time frame , if you took off you were written up.. then the supervisor went out of her way to make your life hell. I requested to leave 30 min early for a funeral and they denied it. They treat their employees horribly. There are rare opportunities for advancement . There was an individual giving false errors when they would QA other people's work and management was aware of it but wouldn't do anything about it because her stats were good . Favoritism there is a major issue.

9. "Failing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Pheaa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits used to be a selling point but they have gotten poor in 2017. Everyone has new plans and they don't cover as much. Don't need to be hospitalized or you may get kicked out.

Cons

Run while you can. Leadership is lacking. Even the CEO sends messages of doom to the employees highlighting bad to worse outcomes for the company future. The most positive employees have any passion drained from them within a year.

Writing is on the wall if you take time to read it.

Advice to Management

I sat outside the one managers door for 3 years and not once has she said hello or seem to know I exist. Mechanicsburg is a backstabbing pit. everyone is just a number and all the managers hate each other.

10. "It's a mix of good and bad"

Former Employee - CSR2 in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - CSR2 in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is descent.
    Built in raise system for union employees, non-union salary workers also get raises.
    Training takes 8 weeks and is fully paid. Everyone is required to do this training, even if you aren't working in the customer service dept.
    A stepping stone to other jobs within the state.
    You can get raises faster if you get hire level degree's.
    Hire's from within for better jobs.

Cons

Entry level workers pay union dues, but are not actually covered by the Union for 18 months. his job has an insanely high turnover rate and they actually celebrate when people make it to a year, because so many people don't make it that far. Anyone paying union dues should get all union benefits as soon as they begin paying into that.

You are expected to meet a metric of success that is not always possible, this metric decides whether you'll get a raise. Also if you don't meet the metric, you'll find yourself hounded by leads and supervisors to fix it.

They are upgrading their system right now to a rather unstable program that's still a work in progress which caused loads of confusion and even days when we couldn't properly access the database needed to do paper work.

Benefits for entry level employment are bare minimum, expect to pay 40% of your medical bills to meet a VERY high deductible that goes up each year until you are a Full STATE employee.

While overtime pays well and is usually optional, about once a year around Sept or January the whole office is pulled into mandatory overtime. During my time there mandatory ranged from 5-20 mandatory hours. The leads get pulled onto calls because the queues are so big, supervisors begin doing lead work and their own work. Other depts are required to do the paperwork from the call center to try and keep the system working. Usually it's temporary but one time we were on mandatory 50 hours a week for nearly 4 months, and nearly everyone was burned out.

Once you've already been trained on the base understanding of loans. If there's a need in another sector, you'll get a half a day of training and they'll drop you into a new area and expect you to be just as good as you were at the information they spent 8 weeks training on.

Advice to Management

Start full benefits right away, be more empathetic and understanding of employee's with illnesses, and increase the communication between superiors and lower tier employees.