Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Larry Phelan

Pros
  • Great pay, your co workers are amazing (in 3 reviews)

• I never have to take my work home with me (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • You often feel lost because they provide no training and that is very stressful (in 5 reviews)

• The past 3 to 4 years bonuses and raises are a joke but you keep getting increased responsibility and work load (in 3 reviews)

"favoritsm"

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time

Pros

there was always great team effort

Cons

Management always had favoritism and never cared

2. "Not as bad as I thought"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

worked here for 3 years, Not as bad as I thought considering where I worked after. They paid me decent and had a nice group of co workers. Gave me a good letter of recommendation,, was laid off but I think I was one of the higher paid workers prob cut me to get someone cheaper to do my job.

Cons

They are sticklers for time during breaks and lunch and if you leave sick they want a dr note which is a bit ridiculous. But overall not a bad experience.

Advice to Management

Mix up the work a bit job can be a little redundant.

3. "IT WAS OK."

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time

Pros

•Great pay for entry-level
    •Free coffee
    •Paid for lunches, holiday parties, etc.
    •Great amount of PTO

Cons

•Massive layoffs
    •Middle school behavior
    •Favoritism
    •They don't value their employees
    •Managers who aren't manager material. A lot of people get these positions by default or by being a favorite

"Paralegal"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Great company to work for. Awasome managment. Would recommend this a place for employment. Great growth and they promote from within. Great holiday parties and benefits.

Cons

When they fire three or more people in one week, prepare yourself as you could possible be one of them. Mass layoffs and high turn over.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more money and stop being cheap. Pay your employees what they are worth.

6. "Not as bad as retail, but still blows"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good amount of PTO.
    Willing to give young grads a chance.
    Gym on site
    Work doesn't come home with you (unless you telecommute, but that's rare)

Cons

Treated like a child.
    Strict HR policies, no respect for personal needs.
    Constant favoritism
    Negative attitude in the work place
    Selective enforcement of the far too many rules (ie, dress code or cell phone violations generally more punishment for not completing enough work).
    No training on tasks.
    Poor communication.
    Low morale.

Advice to Management

Actually hire the amount of people needed, not the bare minimum. Stop nickle and dime-ing your employees. If a day constitutes 7.5 hours, then so should a PTO day. Stop asking for doctor's notes or forcing workers to take a lunch on early dismissal days. Get better break room coffee.

7. "A true sweatshop"

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time

Pros

I gained a lot of knowledge about the foreclosure legal process from end to end, and had great coworkers.

Cons

The benefits were okay at best, your nose was to the grindstone at all times, little room to move up pay-wise, company is VERY cheap.

Advice to Management

Start valuing your workers more! We matter!

8. "Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Organized Environment and Structured Environment.

Cons

Management concerned about petty matters.

9. "Unrealistic Managment, Terrible HR"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work schedule, not a super stressful job depending on exactly what you're assigned to.

Cons

The Human Resources is absolutely horrible. It's like they can't think for themselves or realize they have actual humans working for them. Seem like they're fresh out of college taking their operations from a manual instead of actually using their brains. A lot of really stupid standards. New HR is needed immediately, current is totally incompetent.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a break, they're working hard and are doing the best they can. Referring to NJ and PA offices

"Micromanagement to an insane degree"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is reasonable, although a coworker was revealed to only be paid $27k a year while others were being hired at $40k or higher.

Reasonable PTO and days off.

Cons

Management always has their hands in every little aspect of your job that no matter which department you are in, your job winds up being fighting managements ridiculous and stubborn ways of doing things more than it is actually doing your job, which is frustrating because the actual work isn't terribly difficult.

Raises are nonexistent, even for long time and dedicated employees.

Massive layoffs with nearly zero notice. Department transfers are constant and employees are sometimes given no notice that they are being moved to another department.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like adults, pay them better, and offer incentives to hard working employees other than just a pat on the back.

"Legal assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO although they only pay you for 7 hours you get a lot of PTO days the longer you are there

Cons

The environment used to not be bad and I actually enjoyed this place, but in the recent years it has changed drastically. You start to realize that you do not matter and are expendable and replaceable. Bonuses and raises nonexistent and management does not appreciate you. I've seen people get yelled at on the floor which is unprofessional and unacceptable. I have seen too many mass firings or "layoffs" as they call them since my time here. You MUST work 7.5 hours, but when it comes to PTO time you only get paid for 7. Overtime must be approved before you work it. How does that even make sense? Sometimes you don't know as work may come later in the week. Everything here is a catch 22. You can't go over hours, but you can't cut time off by taking a long lunch or leaving early, and in the end you get in trouble. You are treated like a child and micromanaged. They tell you when you can eat and where you can eat. Ridiculous right? You have to have doctors notes, but can't make up more than 3 hours in a pay period so forget scheduling multiple appointments in a pay period. If you have children, forget ever taking a day to take care of them. You will have to use you PTO day you earned if your child gets sick and you have to leave early to pick them up. HR will pull the cameras and watch to make sure you've clocked out for your breaks. You can't go back to your desk for breaks and they make you take your lunch from 11-3 pm. Late lunches are not permitted. Someone was actually followed out to their car after they did not clock out which is extreme. Yes, they broke the rules, but to follow someone to their car in the parking lot is extreme. To take a personal call real quick means you have to clock out. We all can understand if you are frequently on the phone for long periods, yes, clock out, but if you are just confirming an appointment or something that will take 2 minutes you might as well clock out or you will get in trouble and put on a list which means you get written up or a "talk." The only thing you don't have to clock out for is to use the bathroom. If you have to warm up food or wash a cup for coffee, you have to clock out for that. This company will nickel and dime you which doesn't look good for the future of the company. We are a office of around 30. It's like they don't realize that people have lives outside of work and occasionally something comes up. Basically being human is not allowed while on the job. The turnover is high here, but the loyal employees do not get any appreciation for being loyal. After reading some of the other negative reviews which are all pretty accurate, you would think this company would do something to make it better, but clearly they do not care as long as the partners still have their private jet and stylists, it doesn't matter that other employees are struggling to feed their children and make ends meet. All and all, the only good thing to come out of this are my coworkers that are on my level. They are all good people, but the work environment is far from enjoyable.

Advice to Management

No hope unless they clean house most of management