Phenomenex Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Fasha Mahjoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Like-minded, outgoing employees, lots of fun company events, and philanthropy (in 10 reviews)

• Is what you make it, great place to learn and earn money (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It gets boring at times and no room for growth (in 4 reviews)

• Family nepotism controls upper management positions (in 4 reviews)

1. "Fun, fast-paced company."

I have been working at Phenomenex full-time

Pros

Like-minded, outgoing employees, lots of fun company events, and philanthropy
    Interdepartmental collaboration and opportunities to jump from one department to another

Cons

Salaries are below average for some departments
    Not enough room for growth to manager positions

Advice to Management

Salaries are competitive but bottom of the year-heavy (bonuses), could help to make it more consistent.throughout the year.

"Decent Job, but Not Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Phenomenex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Willing to accept entry-level employees, cool coworkers, flexible scheduling, lots of company events/trips planned throughout the year, good health insurance benefits, and ability to move up.

Cons

THE PAY! This is by far the biggest con. My position changed many times while I was an employee and though I was given more and more responsibility, my pay was never changed to reflect that. Management can be another con, depending on the department that you work in. Some of the managers do not seem to fully understand what their employees do and do not communicate well.

I would also just like to point out that the Marketing department has logged onto Glassdoor in the past to post positive reviews of the company, so I would take some of the five star reviews with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Try not to micromanage your employees and try to understand what their typical day is like. Also, fight for your employees! Treat them well and they will work hard for you.

"Don't Drink the Kool-Aid"

Former Employee - Indentured Servant in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Indentured Servant in Torrance, CA

I worked at Phenomenex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some fine people who work here. The atmosphere, when I started in the mid-2000s, was great. Dynamic, freewheeling! Just plain fun and a great place to learn. I learned a lot, and had a lot of great experiences, and made some great friends...

But....

Cons

As the economy began to sink, so did the company. They circled the wagons, got cheap, stopped the bonus structure... hell, they even stopped doing employee reviews for several years.

As the sinking took hold, the toxicity bubbled up. Managers could no longer be trusted, there was an undercurrent of everything being secret. My manager told me one thing, would tell another person something else. When you can't trust your manager to have your back, that's not a good sign.

Stress... stress increased logarithmically as the economy went south. They were more concerned with keeping the profit margin than anything else. they still made profits, but those were preserved for the family and the rest of use struggled for years on the same rate. Oh, and God forbid if you ever discussed salary concerns in mixed company.

I remember a conversation with a fellow disgruntled employee, sometime in 2010 or 2011. At that time, we agreed, this place was going to look like a fire drill as soon as the economy picked up. And from my external observations, it looks that way.

If you get a chance to read the article in the local Torrance newspaper about how Phenomenex shared in the wealth... it was a classic example of abusing the media for free corporate PR. I was no longer employed there when this happened, but from comments that did get out, most people got chump change. I don't have exact figures, but $3k to $4k seems most common... oooh... They could have given everyone $15k or so each and removed the feeling of being screwed.

And no, I was not fired, and I am not some lazy blob. I work hard and was willing to do whatever had to be done to get the job done. It's just that the company didn't appreciate it.

Advice to Management

I am convinced that the buyout by Danaher is the best thing that could happen. They need to flush out family, put in people who are less concerned with how clean ones desk is and more concerned with the health and safety of the staff and quality of the products.

Don't cheap-out on solutions. Make investments that will benefit the product; if that accidently helps the employees, well, isn't that a happy accident?

4. "Senior Buyer"

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Phenomenex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family company, friendly atmosphere, good young people

Cons

Just got bought by Danaher, going to lose its unique culture

5. "Technical Consultant"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Consultant in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Consultant in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Phenomenex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really caring management who will provide you with the resources to succeed.

Cons

Great place to start out but pay isn't the most competitive.

"Improvement needed"

I have been working at Phenomenex full-time

Pros

Phenomenex has a philanthropic centered culture for which I have enjoyed since day one. Interesting amenities, like a nap room, small gym, billiards room.

They won't let go of people so easy, rather they wait for you to want to leave.

Cons

Benefits are weak. This company will find ways to keep money from you. Their pay structure should technically be illegal. The way they handle salaries and compensation should be under serious review. They were recently acquired so hopefully the parent company will look into making compensation as it should be with a larger salary: commission ratio.

If you stay year and year and are not completely atrocious, you can move up baby steps in pay. If you are in sales, there is literally no room for growth except possibly marketing. They claim that their turnover rate is extremely low. I have seen more than 10 people leave within about a year. That's a revolving door! They will hire recent college grads desperate for a job and keep them on the hopes of all the earning potential. It is rare for most to stick around past 2-3 years. Almost everyone is planning their next step because they talk to the people that have left the company and they know how much better our competitors treat and compensate employees.

I was told by a healthcare provider to get my own health insurance with covered California because that covered my trip to urgent care better than the limited option provided by the company.

Advice to Management

Pay people more from the get go. Starting people 28k below the industry median is not the right way to retain people. It isn't the people that is the problem, it's the low number at which you value us at and consequentially lack the care to keep us engaged for longevity with career potential.

7. "Lab Technician"

I worked at Phenomenex full-time

Pros

Willing to accept entry-level employee. Extra curricular company activities such as fishing, camping.

Cons

Hard to move up unless you get a degree.

Advice to Management

Encouragement and Communication is key.

8. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Phenomenex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sky is the limit when it comes to opportunities here. Open door policy and wonderful people. work hard/play hard environment.

Cons

Would love to see more remote job opportunities. Benefits could be better.

"Family owned, family run"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Phenomenex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Number one products in their market
    New products

Cons

Underpay intentionally
    Ask you to do more to prove worth and fail to deliver pay
    Profit sharing days are gone
    Unachievable goals
    Yearend awards banquet - the "reward" is a buffet and a plaque.
    Family nepotism controls upper management positions

Advice to Management

Sell the company

10. "Great company, great culture, lots of opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Phenomenex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great people
    great buildings
    lots of room for growth, fun and learning
    love it here, never leaving!

Cons

work hard, play hard culture...sometimes that becomes overwhelming

Advice to Management

consider flexible hours and working from home as a new benefit