Philadelphia Corporation for Aging Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Holly Lange

1. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the work we do. I have a great team, supervisor, and director. I go home at night and rest well knowing that I have made a positive contribution to my community. For some people this job is just a paycheck but many people here actually care about our clients and the work that we do. The benefits and health insurance are good. It's a great place to start a career in social services/ aging and a great place to grow if that's what you decide to do.

Cons

I wish people would be compensated based on their skills and qualifications. You get a raise over the years as you stay with the company, but I also feel that people should be compensated based on higher degrees or certain skills (I.e. Being bilingual--a skill that's highly sought in the company). This would reduce turnover.

"It's a livin'"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally helpful supervisors and above average pay for what the job is. Benefits are really affordable. If you put up with a lot you will be rewarded

Cons

They tend to promote young attractive women over more experienced males. Very biased toward women, as mostly women work there. Sometimes dangerous situations with clients and management overlooks the risk factors. Clients are allowed to be lazy and abusive and continue to receive assistance

Advice to Management

Get some younger people in management. Get with the times, leadership is awful if any exists. Need a new CEO and far fewer upper level people making big money. It's lost its focus

3. "Driver M.D.C. North 17st"

Former Employee - Driver in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Driver in Phila, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Feeding our elderly. Caring for those who need it the most. OK. Benefits. Vacation and Sick time was very fair. New Director is fair and very competent.

Cons

Manager who is also in charge of hiring is extremely favoring "his people" . Especially if you lived or lives on his block. Route and new vehicles to his extended family even if you are a veteran he will bump you. Racial makeup of driver's is 90% African American and 10% other. Racial slurs made openly and management laughs with the employees that generate this type of work environment. It's unfortunate because Rodney the former CEO would have not allowed this type of behavior.
    A lot of bullying and made to be felt inferior.

Advice to Management

Listen and read your exit interviews and contact long term employees who have up and quit. They will tell you something is wrong.
    Also inventory your stock. So much food walking out and not going where it was intended. One uncover investigation could cost this very good agency it's entire reputation.

"Great company but crippled by bureaucracy."

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO may be the BEST in the city, after 5yrs you receive 4wks of vacation on top of Sick and Personal time. Also not to mention 13 paid holidays. Very progressive organization with tons of really great people who want nothing more than to help Senior Citizens.

Cons

There may not be a PCA in 5years. Between competition and cuts in Medicaid, I can't imagine them being able to pay over 700 people's salaries.

Advice to Management

Too many "Chiefs" and not enough "Indians" so to speak. Please allow younger talent to be promoted and force the older and jaded upper mgmt out.

"Beware of LTCO"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator I in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator I in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a wonderful supervisor, director, and team. Telecommuting was a big plus. My supervisor gave a lot of freedom but this isn't the norm. Great name on paper.

Cons

A lot of bad supervisors and directors. Expected to bill for time which takes away from social service. A lot of supervisors don't care about personal comfort ie how you feel in dangerous situations. Company has an extremely high turn over rate - you're considered a veteran at 1 year. Very poor pay for work load expected.

Advice to Management

Rethink your supervisors and directors.

6. "Service Coordinator"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place for a young worker getting started in the social service field. Over the past 12 years I have gotten a lot of wonderful experience and gained vital skills.

Cons

Low morale due to company and funding changes etc. Very high work load and not enough time with work load to provide social work and help people as I want to. Very unrealistic deadlines for paperowrk and 40 hours is not enough time in the week to keep your head above water in this service coordinate position. I often have to work outside of work hours....very hard with other responsible outside of work.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff and respect us as professionals. Reduce workload and help increase moral which is at an all time low since I started 12 years ago.

7. "Great experience!"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Telecommuting! Oh my God!so convenient. I get such done in my own space. Nobody distracting me and I'm close to some of my cases. I have the privilege 2 times a week. Benefits are good. Vacation/sick/personal time.. and all holidays off. People say the pay isn't enough. .let me just say this. While we do a lot and it could be a bit more. PCA pays well compared to other places. I know that from interviewing with other places. I have a great supervisor who doesn't micro manage and is very helpful. She critics when she needs to but she isn't rude about it. I'm lucky and I mean that in the most literal way. I likely would have quit if I had some other supervisors. Overall I'm proud to be apart to the PCA family. It's a great environment. My co workers are awesome and parking is provided. The work you do is so rewarding ..it is great experience.

Cons

I've been at PCA for 3 years. I have a love hate relationship with the company mostly due to management and the constant changes but I guess that is what comes with the territory. It's very different depending on who your manager and assistance director are...some are competent and some aren't. Some show favoritism or blacklist you if you have a opinion that doesn't match there's. There isn't much room for growth.you can become a supervisor but again if your name isn't tarnished already. Other than that there isn't much else..some of the upper management have been there for decades too so opportunities don't come up that often. Units. .. I have a quota I have to meet daily..it's annoying it takes away from tell time that could be committed to being detailed with some activities but if you need to get units you can't focus on things that aren't billable. It really is a problem but I see it isn't going anywhere so.

Advice to Management

Be open to change in the way the office operates and give people a chance. They shouldn't be affected negatively because they have different views.

"Horrible, horrible, horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Assessment Worker/Case Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assessment Worker/Case Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

They offer a reasonable benefits package and there is parking onsite.

Cons

Management horrible! I worked there four years and they treated us like dogs! Talked to us like crap and there is no support! Horrible horrible place!

Advice to Management

someone needs to sue them I wish I had!

9. "Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Health insurance is reasonably priced. Vacation time is generous. Most departments are flexible with taking time off.

Cons

Parking is not available to all employees. Dress code could be more casual. Telecommuting is not available to all employees.

Advice to Management

Management should be more open to change.

10. "social work"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator I in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator I in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are in the helping profession you will gain experience working with the elderly. They are trainings that can help you in your work or career. The work environment is pleasant. Since I've been there my supervisor and co workers have been supportive.

Cons

You can become become backup in your work if you are not organized

Advice to Management

I have been at the job for about seven months and i feel management has been supportive in assisting with caseload and troubles.