Philadelphia Gas Works Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Field Service Technichian"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits. In-house schooling for skills. Raises every 6 months and a Union contract raise every May for Field Service Department. Plenty of OT. Choice of Pension or a 401(B) with a 457 plan.
    Union, provides decent pay and protection

Cons

Shift work. Low entry-level pay that is unattractive to recruit skilled workers. It takes almost 8 years for top rate. Uneducated managers in key high level positions(HS Diploma) that climbed ranks through years of service and time in positions. Union, provides protection for bums and seniority.

Advice to Management

Teamwork is paramount. Positions above Supervisors do not realize their actions or inaction's are detrimental to workforce moral. They do not hold regular meetings with workforce to know what is good/bad. New employees hear names but cannot add a face because they do not show it. Hard to keep a happy face and follows orders if they come from a ghost behind a desk.

2. "Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good working environment. Strong team oriented culture. Employees were very helpful and easy to get a long with.

Cons

Working outdoors during winter months takes a little getting used to.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a really good job with the development of their new employees. This positive trend needs to continue.

"Political Dinosaur"

Current Employee - Management In Distribution in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Management In Distribution in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The union staff was down to earth. The older guys do their work and can joke with you, too. I still see the guys on the street, in the trucks, working in the hole and I will say hello. Again great people. The management on the other hand ........ see below

Cons

Navigating the management, supervisors, directors, VPs, etc members of the company (yes I was a part of that description) is where things got tricky. It requires sucking up to fit in. Noooo thank you. There are people who should have been promoted that didn't. There are people in roles that you wonder "how'd they get that job?" There are many people who left the company because they never got the promotion they deserved.

Advice to Management

Playing politics is no good for overall success of the company. I know you like promoting your friends, but if you actually promoted the right people there would be more revenue to pay employees and you and your friends would all have hire salaries. Think global then act local.

5. "Mobile Application Developer"

Current Employee - PGW Internal Mobile Applications in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - PGW Internal Mobile Applications in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Gas Works (More than a year)

Pros

good, very good place work

Cons

very nice place to work

6. "Compressor Operator"

Former Employee - Compressor Operator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Compressor Operator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay after two years, great benefits, lots of overtime if you like it

Cons

Union could be better, long days, petty co-workers
    A few lazy foremans

7. "In search of a new career"

Current Employee - Compressor Operator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Compressor Operator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the pros are, you get paid every week. You get to meet & work with all types of people. Your also learning a skill or trade, that you can take with you anywhere.

Cons

Your out there in the elements, rain,snow, morning, noon & night.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your distribution workers.

Philadelphia Gas Works Response

Feb 17, 2015 – HR Business Partner

Out of all of the entry level positions, Distribution Workers are the highest paid. New Distribution Workers are only in the position for 6 - 9 months before attending Compressor Operator school ... More

"Okay job if you can survive the 1 year probation"

Former Employee - Service Technician in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Phila, PA

Pros

As a Service Technician you will be paid pretty good after about a year. You will start out at about $14 an hour being a helper. All you will do is follow the Technician around and hold a flashlight and run for tools. When you become a cadet you will get about a $3 increase. You will also get raises according to the union contract.

I basically went to customers homes and exchanged gas meters, turned off or turned on accounts, responded to gas leaks

A lot of down time in the summer months. Just check the corner at 15th and Cecil B Moore from 5 pm until about Midnight you will see the pgw trucks there lined up doing absolutely Nothing for hours! It was nice making $20 an hour just sitting there for hours at a time

Cons

A lot of "clicks" if you know what I mean. Family members / friends and things of that nature. Some guys are hanging on by threads just because family members been there 20+ years.

You will start to pay union dues right away. Even though this "union" will not help you in anyway until after your 1 year probation period. I found this out the hard way. That means.....do not be late and do not miss any days. Sounds simple right? Unless you get sick or if you have family issues or a sick kid. They don't want to hear about it!! You will be Fired!! Revolving door. You could be the nicest guy in the world and be a great worker they can care less. If you survive the 1 year probation then you should be okay. I didn't survive the 1 year probation.

I missed 2 days because a death in the family. 2 days!!!!! The only thing they were worried about was when I was coming back. They could care less about my family member dying. I missed another 5 days a few months later because I was very sick and passed out on my way to work. I was SICK...It was Winter. I am Human. I was rushed to a hospital where chest, head and blood test were done. I had and given them all the necessary Doctor notes. They could care less. They fired me. They fired me not knowing or caring what was wrong with me. Luckily for me the passing out was due to being over worked and dehydrated. I say over worked because I work a few 15-20 hour days in a row with very little sleep. Also when you get fired your medical is no longer good that same day. So if i did have a heart attack or something was wrong with my brain I was up sh!ts creek without a paddle.

They also tried to block my unemployment after wrongfully firing me. Unemployment seen it my way and awarded me my unemployment benefits. I say "wrongfully fired me" because it was wrong. I was very sick and I had all the doctors notes to proof this but they didn't care. I came back when my sickness was over ready to work and they denied me.

The winter time is the worse or if you are single without a family it could be the best because you will work 15++ hour days. Mostly every Tech complained about being over worked!! The other thing I loved about this place is they wait until you are about to clock out for the day then hit you with a gas leak or some random job just minutes before your shift is about to end. One min you think you are going home in 5 mins and the next ...Bam.. now you are out another 5+ hours!!

Helpers......Your hours will be from 5 pm until 1 am or until the last job gets done. You will at times work 10 days straight. You will not learn much as a helper except maybe how to hold a flashlight. You will transfer around to different shop locations even though you might live right next door to one of the shops.

Advice to Management

Stop the revolving door. Stop firing good hard workers. We are Human. We, just like you, will get sick from time to time. I gave doctors notes. I had reasons to miss those days. You people just didn't care!!

Philadelphia Gas Works Response

Feb 17, 2015 – HR Business Partner

This review is not 100% truthful. Employees are given bereavement days, depending on the relationship. It seems this individual had some difficulty meeting the requirements for probationary ... More

"It was a good experience"

Former Employee - Procurement Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Procurement Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The family atmosphere. You feel like your working with family everyday and your not watching the clock all day long.

Cons

They are set in their ways as a very old company. Not quick to change.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Work life balance. Optional compressed work week. Great benefits -- Free health benefits, a lot of holidays. Pension plan with 5-year vesting.

Wonderful people.

Overall, best place I have ever worked.

Cons

Slow career advancement. Potential sale looming. Union environment creates opposition to positive change.

"Good pay, but not a great place to start a career as an engineer if you truly want to learn something"

Former Employee - Plant Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Plant Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits; Diversity; location; friendly co-workers

Cons

- less opportunity to learn because heavy work is outsourced to private company
    - Municipally owned company