Philadelphia Gas Works Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Hmmmmm"

Former Employee - Paralegal
    Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works (More than a year)

Pros

Very easy to get hired if you are a CSR

Cons

Sweat Shop. You have to live in the City of Philadelphia in order to be considered for a perm. position

Advice to Management

More promotions for people with real experience not people you know.

"very "clique-ish""

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time

Pros

salary and benefits are good

Cons

tons of gossip, pointless meetings with no progress, big egos, not many hard workers on the corporate side, most doing just enough to get by, outdated systems and not open to new ideas although they claim to be.

Advice to Management

revamp ..take notes from PECO..

"Okay job if you can survive the 1 year probation"

Former Employee - Service Technician in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Phila, PA

Pros

As a Service Technician you will be paid pretty good after about a year. You will start out at about $14 an hour being a helper. All you will do is follow the Technician around and hold a flashlight and run for tools. When you become a cadet you will get about a $3 increase. You will also get raises according to the union contract.

I basically went to customers homes and exchanged gas meters, turned off or turned on accounts, responded to gas leaks

A lot of down time in the summer months. Just check the corner at 15th and Cecil B Moore from 5 pm until about Midnight you will see the pgw trucks there lined up doing absolutely Nothing for hours! It was nice making $20 an hour just sitting there for hours at a time

Cons

A lot of "clicks" if you know what I mean. Family members / friends and things of that nature. Some guys are hanging on by threads just because family members been there 20+ years.

You will start to pay union dues right away. Even though this "union" will not help you in anyway until after your 1 year probation period. I found this out the hard way. That means.....do not be late and do not miss any days. Sounds simple right? Unless you get sick or if you have family issues or a sick kid. They don't want to hear about it!! You will be Fired!! Revolving door. You could be the nicest guy in the world and be a great worker they can care less. If you survive the 1 year probation then you should be okay. I didn't survive the 1 year probation.

I missed 2 days because a death in the family. 2 days!!!!! The only thing they were worried about was when I was coming back. They could care less about my family member dying. I missed another 5 days a few months later because I was very sick and passed out on my way to work. I was SICK...It was Winter. I am Human. I was rushed to a hospital where chest, head and blood test were done. I had and given them all the necessary Doctor notes. They could care less. They fired me. They fired me not knowing or caring what was wrong with me. Luckily for me the passing out was due to being over worked and dehydrated. I say over worked because I work a few 15-20 hour days in a row with very little sleep. Also when you get fired your medical is no longer good that same day. So if i did have a heart attack or something was wrong with my brain I was up sh!ts creek without a paddle.

They also tried to block my unemployment after wrongfully firing me. Unemployment seen it my way and awarded me my unemployment benefits. I say "wrongfully fired me" because it was wrong. I was very sick and I had all the doctors notes to proof this but they didn't care. I came back when my sickness was over ready to work and they denied me.

The winter time is the worse or if you are single without a family it could be the best because you will work 15++ hour days. Mostly every Tech complained about being over worked!! The other thing I loved about this place is they wait until you are about to clock out for the day then hit you with a gas leak or some random job just minutes before your shift is about to end. One min you think you are going home in 5 mins and the next ...Bam.. now you are out another 5+ hours!!

Helpers......Your hours will be from 5 pm until 1 am or until the last job gets done. You will at times work 10 days straight. You will not learn much as a helper except maybe how to hold a flashlight. You will transfer around to different shop locations even though you might live right next door to one of the shops.

Advice to Management

Stop the revolving door. Stop firing good hard workers. We are Human. We, just like you, will get sick from time to time. I gave doctors notes. I had reasons to miss those days. You people just didn't care!!

"Quasi government inefficiency privatize ASAP"

Current Employee - Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Slow pace, low stress, Used to have plentiful parking (key words- used to)

Cons

Low pay, very inefficient, overstaffed, essentially a workfare organization. there are some very bright people here but they are greatly outnumbered by the not so bright people. and there a lot of people here, way too many to the point that it diminishes productivity. No formal telecommuting program, no wifi, but who needs it when average employees don't receive mobile tech (laptops, tablets, smartphones). Parking is hard to come by and if you don't get a spot, you very much risk getting your car broken into. Location is terrible. Facilities are abysmal- dirty, cold/hot, roaches, etc. Much could be forgiven if there was no residency requirement, but alas, there is. Another wing of the 'Philadelphia machine' - stay away.

Advice to Management

sell this place asap

"Waste of time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

- Good for inexperienced graduates
    -Good Benefits

Cons

-Management hasn't had a raise in 5 yrs
    -Salary is low
    -Nepotism runs ramped.

Advice to Management

Take your head out of the clouds.

"Weird place. It will eat up your life."

Current Employee - IT Person in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - IT Person in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

- The Company is great for young graduates.
    - Excellent continuing education program.
    - Pension, after 5 years you get vested.
    - Allows you to make mistakes and learn on the job.
    - Allows numerous moves within the company to unrelated positions.
    - Great heating and air conditioning.
    - People are generally happy. A lot of laughter.

Cons

- On surface very friendly, go deeper and its all who you know. People are related: husbands/ wives/ children, girlfriends & boyfriends or they have known each other for 30 years. Be careful who you talk with.
    - Management is weak and bends backwards to the whims of City of Philadelphia.
    - Serious union issues. No pay raises for management employees for 2 years and union got them.
    - Unequal distribution of work, responsibility and pay.
    - Promotions and Salaries based upon seniority.
    - Intense Micromanagement
    - Clock in / out. No trust.
    - Very much a "male" company.
    - Buildings are falling apart. Grime. Toilets flood. Infestation.
    - Very low salaries. (IT is 30% lower than norm.)

Advice to Management

- Too many VPs and Directors.
    - Manage the business. Do not let someone else dictate you.
    - Face the reality.

"Ana"

I worked at Philadelphia Gas Works full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

nothing is good about this company

Cons

this company sucks..pick and choose people to promote

Advice to Management

take your heads out of ____