Philadelphia Insurance Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Robert D. O'Leary

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and great work enviorment (in 27 reviews)

• Great Benefits, Amazing Culture (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of room for advancement (in 8 reviews)

• No room to grow really at Philadelphia Insurance Companies (in 10 reviews)

1. "Underwriter Position"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance and great work enviorment

Cons

There are no downsides to this job at all.

Oct 4, 2017 – Social Media Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience at PHLY! If you’d like to provide further feedback, please... More

2. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time

Pros

Phly has a great culture! There are employee luncheons each quarter, and an annual company outing to enjoy

Cons

Nothing is "black and white"; the training process should be improved. There isn't much room for advancement. I don't understand why the company will hire outside before allowing internal employees (not summer associates) to obtain many underwriting positions.

Advice to Management

Management is very flexible and open to suggestions; however, their bosses may not always be.

Oct 19, 2017 – Social Media Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you enjoy PHLY's culture. At PHLY, our employees' professional development is important to... More

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time

Pros

Nice team and peers. Decent boss. Benefits average. Nothing to standout. Can get those at most companies.

Cons

Low, low industry pay. You will mile out your car and the monthly allowance does not cover all the wear/tear, GAS, and maintenance. Company needs to Pay Per Mile, or get Fleet cars, or dramatically increase monthly car allowance. If you want to attract and retain the caliper of insurance marketing professional needed to make the company great then stop making your people using their cars subsidize your company.

Advice to Management

Have an honest conversation with leaders and make marketing employee vehicle allowance an action item. Or, continue to make excuses and expect employees to subsidize PHLY. Its 2017 when was the last time the allowance amount or program was considered? Its a great recruiting tool for other companies. How much are you spending to replace people or by not getting the best to begin with in recruiting and hiring? You can do better.

4. "Great Place to Learn"

Pros

I liked working there as an intern, I learned a lot about what working in insurance was all about.

Cons

Insurance is not as glamorous as I once thought.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work!

Aug 18, 2017 – Social Media Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience interning with PHLY. If you’d like to provide further feedback about your experience, please feel free... More

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Underwriter II in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Underwriter II in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A leader in the market. Puts tremendous value on teamwork. Want their employees to succeed, both at work and in life. Pays you to get continuing education/designations. Great work/life balance. Management teams who listen to its employees.

Cons

Pay might be slightly less than other companies, but the trade off for the PHLY culture is worth it in my opinion. (also the pay is pretty good, just you could probably make a little more at other companies.... but also work twice as much and be stressed constantly).

Advice to Management

Keep being market innovators. Keep listening to employees. Keep caring for all that come into contact with PHLY. Keep striving to be the place that everyone wants to do business with, and the place everyone wants to work for.

Aug 18, 2017 – Social Media Recruiter

"Claims"

Former Employee - Claims in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Claims in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment. Events.

Cons

People push work off onto others. Underpaid based on how much we do compared to another insurance carrier. Not given enough opportunities to further your career. Not enough freedom and authority to do your work freely.

Aug 30, 2017 – Social Media Recruiter

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience during your time at PHLY. We strive to stay competitive in our industry and... More

"Stay away from any position within their customer service department!"

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative

I worked at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

7.5 hour workdays
    Every holiday off, plus early closings the day before some holidays
    Fair pay, but not worth call center working conditions
    Good benefits
    Bankers hours
    Good work-life balance, unless Contact Center
    Great family leave plans
    Paid volunteer time
    No attendance policy

Cons

Constantly understaffed - AR was understaffed and they never answered their phones or called customers back. Underwriting was constantly behind in processing cancels and policy changes so we were constantly taking calls from customers complaing they'd requested cancellation 2 months prior that had still not been processed. The contact center loses people faster than they can hire. Not just the customer reps either, the supervisors have all mostly quit and the department manager quit last year and it took them 9 months to find a replacement!
    No attendance policy - those of us at work shoulder the extra work volume and since they were always understaffed, volume was great.
    Outdated systems, procedures and phones with no interest from the management to make any improvements no matter how minor or necessary because all IT efforts are focussed on a billing system they've been promising for years.
    The resources service reps have to use to do even the most basic things are incredibly hard to read and very user unfriendly especially when you have callers holding. The schedule system is unfair and will sometimes schedule your break an hour into your day and your lunch 2 hours into your day which is crazy. With constant understaffing, outdated awful systems and procedures, confusing systems and resource guides and a CEO and upper mangement that looks upon contact center people as an undesirable but necessary evil, this place will probably burn you out before you reach the 1 year job time commitment required to change departments.
    Company management says one thing, but actions inconsistent with their words, especially when it comes to caring about customer service and service customers receive (20 min hold times, only a 70% csat goal, 30-60 day processing times, high turnover and so on). I probably would have loved this company if I had worked in any other department but working in the contact center is like working for an entirely different company.

Advice to Management

If you keep running things the way you were no one will want to work in your call centers and you will have to outsource your customer service to India like you do some of your other departments. You don't listen anyway, hence why I left.

Sep 27, 2017 – Social Media Recruiter

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience during your time at PHLY. Maintaining appropriate staffing levels company-wide... More

"A fine place to work"

I have been working at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time

Pros

nice benefits; very professional; company-wide enthusiasm; lots of hark workers

Cons

pay's not great; every one's seems spread a little thin

Advice to Management

hire more folks

9. "Decent entry level employer"

Current Employee - Claims Assistant in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Assistant in Bala Cynwyd, PA

Pros

-great work life balance
    -seems to provide lots of opportunities
    -tuition assistance
    -location
    -gym
    -holiday pay and days off

Cons

-unqualified management
    -clicquish culture

10. "Life changing"

Current Employee - Claims Assistant in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Assistant in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Staff, Supportive Upper Management, Stability, Excellent Incentives, A Genuine Concern for your well being.

Cons

Phones are a bit heavy volume, other than that, its wonderful.

Advice to Management

Continue striving in excellence and encouraging your employees to do the same.