Philadelphia Museum of Art Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Timothy Rub

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I learned a lot from those in my department, it was a great place to network (in 5 reviews)

• Good work environment, great group of employees, great place to make connections (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay (it is a non profit museum after all) but if you love what you're doing it's worth it (in 11 reviews)

• Little room for advancement or feedback on work effort- very competitive museum culture (in 4 reviews)

1. "PMA all day"

Pros

Great accommodating coworkers, first rate equipment , tight interwoven culture, plus the behind the scenes look to a world class cultural institution. Great food and views are available by the ton.

Cons

Parking is tight in the fairmount area,

2. "Review"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Philadelphia Museum of Art full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent, passionate, friendly (for the most part) staff. Environment.

Cons

Actual support/recognition from upper management. Little involvement with middle-lower level staff in decision making... very top tier centered mentality.

"Interesting place to work, not fair opportunity for growth."

I have been working at Philadelphia Museum of Art full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, and passionate co workers.

Cons

Little opportunity for growth within company, low paying.

Advice to Management

Provide better training for middle management and re-evaluate senior management.

"the worst"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The art collection is amazing, but you will never enjoy it. Fellow employees are cool. Fairmount is a wonderful part of the city.

Cons

Promised opportunity for advancement at the start only to find out it was a lie. If you are planning on starting at the bottom and working up or switching to a different department don't bother. Possibly the most toxic and hostile work environment I have ever been in. Borderline abusive behavior from management including insults and intimidation every day. HR only makes it worse. Stay away from the Retail Department for sure, don't waste your time and mental health. I have a hard time believing any of the positive reviews for this organization, highly suspicious.

Advice to Management

Management is the problem. There needs to be better qualified candidates in those positions. A good work culture should start from the top.

"Great co-workers, borderline abusive managers and toxic environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Entry and mid-level employees tend to come from a variety of interesting backgrounds. I adored all of my co-workers, and it was depressing to see so many funny, kind, smart people who love art get ground into powdery lump of despair
    -The art, obviously.

Cons

-MANAGEMENT. I had red flags about my manager given to me when I was offered my job, but I figured it wasn't anything I hadn't encountered at other jobs before. Shame on me -- management was mean, abusive, name-calling, sabotaging, and loved to belittle staff to make them either admit their own (non) mistakes or see them squirm. I can only imagine management gets away because they produce profit in a cash-strapped non-profit. Treated all salaried staff like personal slaves and constantly bullied hourly employees to work overtime on weekends/nights without giving them pay (so, non-existent HR to boot).

Advice to Management

Your employees are human beings.

6. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art (More than 8 years)

Pros

The art! Co workers are great! The Education Department does an excellent job reaching city kids. Young people are the future !

Cons

Terrible pay, so so benefits! Uper management is snobby!

Advice to Management

Value the front line staff, they are your link to members and visitors!

7. "Designer"

I have been working at Philadelphia Museum of Art full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great place, great collection, good benefits

Cons

Typical non-profit pay (not so good), typical challenges of an old institution trying to make changes but having growing pains

"Beware!"

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Thrilling and exciting experience at first, but wares off quickly
    -Amazing like-minded co-workers
    -World renowned art collection
    -Incredible building
    -personal/sick/vacation time

Cons

-Typical non profit dysfunction
    -Low pay, no significant raises
    -Over-worked, 40+hrs/wk is normal
    -High stress, often juggling more duties and responsibilites then required
    -No promotion for hard work
    -Poor upper management, illogical decision making, spending waste
    -Poor communication overall
    -Ineffective HR, report abuses at your own risk
    -Benefit costs go up and value declines every year
    -Elitism, if you are not important enough to know it will show
    -Low morale
    -Cold corporate environment

Your love and passion for the arts will be exploited. Don’t let the false sense of prestige of the organization fool you. Been a visitor since I was a child and an employee for 8+ years. Will not go back to even visit unless there are massive administrative changes. Profit at all costs (even to values, standards and ethics) is more important then being an educational institution now. It feels like an abusive relationship. It never gets any better and will leave you heart broken in the end. It's unfortunate there are not strong leaders in charge, because it could be an amazing place.

Advice to Management

-Promote hard work and sacrifice
    -Reward/Acknowledge success
    -Pay a living wage
    -Better communication
    -Hold supervisors to a higher standard and be accountable for their actions
    -Do not protect abuses, serious incidences need equal appropriate discipline (management included)
    -Hire leaders not bosses to upper management positions
    -Bring back all staff appreciation events for celebrating high achievements
    -Be friendly, smile and say hello to all staff not just fellow management friends

"Good only as an internship or museum visitor!"

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interactive technology is breathing a little life to the museum. Great restaurants and other great landmarks nearby!

Cons

Worst career move of my life; Aside from a few good-hearted people, the working atmosphere is colder and more stressful than a credit card bank. Medieval and cold environment with some of the worst and rudest employees you will ever meet. I personally observed employees permitted to hang up on each other, yell and do unbelievable things with no consequences. Sr. Management picks and chooses who they will support. Most Department Heads & Directors are closely connected outside of work which equates to a very awkward and uncertain workplace. HR has high turnover as does most of the museum staff. Sadly, two suicides in less than 2 years. You felt no one really cared about you. Terminations occur often and without fair warning.

Advice to Management

Watch a few episodes of "Undercover Boss" in hopes of gaining empathy for your staff. Then study what business management and effective communication really involve.

"No room to advance."

Former Employee - Visitor Services in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Visitor Services in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

It's a good stepping stone for a better job. Nice building to work in in a nice area of the city.

Cons

Low Pay, No room for advancement, terrible benefits, a micro managing culture from top to the bottom.