Philadelphia Orchestra Reviews | Glassdoor

Philadelphia Orchestra Reviews

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Undercoffler

1. "Human Resources Coordinator"

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Orchestra (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people and interesting work

Cons

Was unable to turn contract into a full time position

"Manager, Education & Community Partnerships"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Orchestra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to world-class musicians and music, part of the Orchestra's most exciting programming, at the time was a great team to work for (last year was in 2008 but the drop-down menu won't allow me to select back that far). Great for someone who likes a job that requires flexibility in schedule, with some structure but lots of changing activities throughout the year.

Cons

Benefits and pay were not fantastic for the commitment required.

3. "Great marketing internship with people who really want you to learn!"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Orchestra as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This internship was great because I was able to work with many different people within the marketing department, learning different skills from each of them. This company really treats their interns well, making sure to let them know they are appreciated. I was able to sit in on meetings and was always encouraged to give my feedback.

Cons

There really were no cons to this internship! Some of the tasks were a bit tedious, but that is expected at any internship. Even the tedious tasks were things that needed to get done, not just busy work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive attitude toward your interns! I loved that I was always treated as part of the team!

4. "Lots of work, but great opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Orchestra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work, but great opportunities.

Cons

Small staff, not a big budget.

"Good as a first job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Orchestra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prestigious Name. Good benefits. Good place to acquire skills and experience to take some place else.

Cons

Horrible Work/Life Balance. Low Pay. Wages have been frozen for 5 years, which means that you're losing money by staying there. Inflexible scheduling, despite claims to the contrary. Employees are treated as liabilities instead of assets. No feeling at all that your contribution is valued.

It's a good place to start out, but they have absolutely nothing to offer the seasoned professional.

Advice to Management

Do something nice for the employees every once in a while, beyond leftover doughnuts from breakfast meetings.

"Great for Non-Profit"

I have been working at Philadelphia Orchestra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Orchestra itself is world class and worth supporting. Staff are passionate and strive to bring the best out for the organization. Excellent benefits and compensation. There is good camaraderie among the staff.

Cons

They are unfortunately understaffed and employees are worked to the bone. There is a high turn over as well as staff feels underpaid and often unappreciated. No raises (besides cost of living increase) for over 6 years for all of staff (except CEO of course).

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of balancing home and work life. Working for a non-profit, you understand going into it that you are not paid as much the private sector but salary freezing is enough to push your best talent elsewhere, which is where they are going.

"Not for Everyone..."

Pros

World class orchestra, lots of concert tickets, often at the center of cultural events and conversations in Philadelphia.

Cons

Poor management, bad staff morale and internal disorganization.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving the relationship with your current staff. They are all starting to look elsewhere. Also, brand yourselves to be a 21st century organization.

8. "Friendliest staff I've ever worked with, lowest pay for job I've ever had though"

I have been working at Philadelphia Orchestra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Access to free tickets, paid cell phone/laptop, and occasional food provided for certain events.

Cons

Is a bit top heavy, with the very little staff in certain departments expected to work like dogs to produce results that a team of twice the size is expected to produce. When I started, I had 1/3 of the duties I had 4 years later, sometimes doing other departments jobs that had nothing to do with my skill set, and got no raises despite cost of living increasing in the 6+ years I was there. I had to get a second job to be able to support myself and my family, while I saw reckless spending in certain areas. Their approach and thinking towards things is old fashioned compared to other companies who are adapting to this fast, technological world.

When I was working during college without a degree, I made roughly the same I amount I did here with a degree. My friends who don't have degrees and don't have to use their brains for their jobs say they make about the same amount. I constantly have to problem solve and juggle a dozen tasks and keep the organization running and feel burned out, but I am expected to do even more still with no guarantee of a raise any time soon. Don't bother asking, they will dangle the carrot in front of you and pull it away while execs get raises or other homes paid for.

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel valued every day, keep your talent happy or they will leave you in a heartbeat, and promote loyal employees within.

"No growth from within"

I worked at Philadelphia Orchestra full-time

Pros

Great health and 401K benefits, intimate access to the music and the artists if you're a classical music fan

Cons

Barely ever promote from within - no matter what kind of effort you make to show you deserve it, terrible pay compared to non-arts fundraising positions, upper management is clueless about how the work actually gets done (by the underpaid and over worked lower level staff)

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at the great people you have who are willing to work hard for you if you show them a little gratitude and are willing to promote from within.

10. "Intern: Great experience for a musician but struggling issues"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Philadelphia Orchestra as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The program was well coordinated and interesting. My supervisor was helpful, informative, and always kept me involved in new experiences so I could continue to grow and learn. This is an amazing company to work for if you enjoy hearing a world class orchestra on a weekly basis.

Cons

During my internship there were a lot of departmental changes that left a lot of employees stressed and seemed unhappy. While it did not affect my experience with the company it certainly affected others.