Philip Morris International Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Philip Morris International Chief Executive Officer André Calantzopoulos
André Calantzopoulos

Pros
  • The new Work-Life balance approach is also convenient to allow fast track career, but still a descent family life (in 23 reviews)

• Amazing people, constantly learning, great salary and benefits, excellent career opportunities (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be Challengin (in 58 reviews)

• The Mexican affiliate doesn't always put to good use the data available, in the decision-making process (in 18 reviews)

"Key Accounts Executive"

Former Employee - Key Accounts Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Key Accounts Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Philip Morris International (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid salaries. Impressive HQ building.

Cons

Constant work overload. Too much bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Be more employee oriented.

"Company going down hill fast!"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits with still many employees striving to do a good job.

Cons

Lack of communication and/or proper communication with anyone below Director level. Still an old boy network in the tobacco business. Unrealistic expectations of employees.

Advice to Management

You may want to actually mean it when you stress work life balance - not just as a slogan that sounds good. Also, re-think your employee evaluations - how can even the smallest department be required to continually have a bell curve distribution of talent year after year?

3. "Not a good company. do not recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing really come to my mind

Cons

Management does not value commitment made to the employee. Very poor communication between management and employees. Politics everywhere. No career outlook. Management just toss you a position without upfront communication.

May 23, 2017

Hi there, we appreciate you sharing your experience on our Glassdoor page. We’re sorry to see that you have had a negative experience whilst working with us. At heart, we are a learning ... More

"Don't go for it"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in London, England (UK)

Pros

flexible, there is nothing good I can say about it honestly and its totally based on my experience at PMI for 3 years.

Cons

poor management , micro management, no progression with loads of favouritism. works on the basis of who you know not on what you know.

Advice to Management

U.K affiliate is a total chaos, don't know what the management is doing. Incompetent Management.
    For heaven sake improve your company's culture.

May 23, 2017

Hi there, thanks for sharing your experience with us. We’re sorry that you didn’t enjoy your time with us. One of the things that’s helped us stay ahead for so long is the strong personalities ... More

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Director in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary. Real international company. Smart people.

Cons

Nepotism. Too political.
    Worst of all: confused use of the word "entrepreneurship": if someone offers you a project that is "very challenging", that is "totally new", that needs "someone like you with entrepreneurial skills", run like hell. It just means you will thrown in deep waters without any support, abandoned and when/if the project will not deliver as expected (very often expectation are just dreams in this company) you will be thrown under the bus without a second thought.

Advice to Management

Make sure employees feel comfortable to accept daring and difficult projects. Create a true culture of "failing and learning" as preached in many internal communications.

May 23, 2017

Hello and thanks for leaving us a review. We’re sorry that you haven’t had a positive experience with us. The idea of #UnlimitYourself is to seize all opportunities. Our intention is not to create ... More

7. "Nice benefits - professional company but so false and fake"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berchem, Antwerp (Belgium)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berchem, Antwerp (Belgium)

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Company which always improves itself and needs to reinvent itself
    - Very result orientated company
    - Good salary and wide range of benefits
    - If you are in favour of certain managers you can have a good career

Cons

- People smile and are friendly but those can fire you the day after with their exact fake smile
    - Politics - politics - politics
    - You make it or you break it (you easily have a stamp after a couple of months and it is difficult to turn the tide)
    - When management likes you they fill put focus and enlarge some small achievement you have done, when they don't like you you can scream and shout about some achievements with noticable impact but you won't be heard.
    - It s never good enough. Even when you have exceptional good achieved results they might just give you an statisfying rating.
    - Negative outlook on the tobacco industry

Advice to Management

People who want to grow often are not entitled because they don't do the PMI politics. Instead of treating employees as a kind of chess board, it would be wiser to give employees the option to have a hand in their own career goals.

8. "Worst Politics Ever in the World"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well paid / good office environment with the money they earn by products kill people's lives......

Cons

At the beginning, it seems they care compliance and principles. However, it turns out there are so many politics inside regardless of local and international. Actually the higher the worse. All of people movements are purely based on regional/management's instant interaction and candidates' language skill. how fluent they are in English.

Advice to Management

N/A

May 23, 2017

Hello, thanks for leaving a review on our Glassdoor page. Our new focus is on creating a smoke-free future, where our consumers have a better alternative. We have the chance to change the lives of ... More

"Worst corporate culture"

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High salary
    Work and life balance is good

Cons

Shallow people with worst corporate culture

"Slowly dying 90s culture company"

Former Employee - IS-Analyst in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - IS-Analyst in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I worked at Philip Morris International (More than a year)

Pros

- They have tons of well documented practices and processes. Very easy to get into the way the company internal processes flow.
    - The work is very stable, even if you are going through a rough patch people will support you.
    - Salary and perks are great.

Cons

- The quality of middle-management is low, there isn't much to learn here if you want to manage a team in the future.
    - The environment is really bad with re-org after re-org, work is tougher, colleagues are ruthless, there are less resources and working hours are completely ridiculous. Business travel on weekends is expected.
    - A lot of 'Friday is almost here' people, disgruntled but unwilling to quit because the pay is good, they're too old and too afraid of the damage to their career of working several years in a tobacco company.
    - Hard to move up as it's a bit up to chance and someone liking you for random reasons, this spurs the 'political yes men' movement that is corroding the whole company.

Advice to Management

High turnover on young talented people is scary and it's not with flexible working hours that you are going to stop them leaving. They don't feel part of the old culture that rules. Walk the talk, don't promote diversity if top management is going to stay at 95% white old men. As soon as millennials spot the lies they leave.

"Talent Management Culture"

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They get to hire really good and talented employees and it is sure true that the company has a lot to offer for these individuals.

Cons

They are bad at keeping the good and talented employees. Workplace inequity and rampant office politics often demotivates quiet and high performing individuals. It doesn't help that people have their development dialogues with the supervisor, "presence" over "performance" is much preferred.

Advice to Management

Empower HRBP's involvement with the people, not only to the managers in a certain function, then they will be able to see the real thing that is happening.