Philip Morris International Reviews in Switzerland | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Philip Morris International Chief Executive Officer André Calantzopoulos
André Calantzopoulos

Pros
  • The new Work-Life balance approach is also convenient to allow fast track career, but still a descent family life (in 24 reviews)

• Amazing people, constantly learning, great salary and benefits, excellent career opportunities (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be Challengin (in 58 reviews)

• The Mexican affiliate doesn't always put to good use the data available, in the decision-making process (in 18 reviews)

1. "Supply chain expert"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

I worked at Philip Morris International as an intern

Pros

Nice organization with beautiful building . With lots of training.

Cons

Many KPI to follow

2. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Executive in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Executive in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

I worked at Philip Morris International (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Salary
    Nice situation and nice offices
    Nice colleagues

Cons

Employees are stressed out to their limits
    Poor management (divide and conquer)
    No evolution possibilities

Advice to Management

Respect people and their accomplishments

3. "In the middle of the transformation"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and good package.

Cons

Work life balance kept aside in order to deliver the lean approach. Many restrictions to do real marketing.

"Currently working at PMI"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lausanne (Switzerland)

Pros

International Work Environment
    Good salaries
    Good Benefits and compensation
    Working hours flexibitly
    Fitness in house

Cons

Highly Political and even Nepotic
    Results, Achievements do not pay off unfortunately
    Most of promotions, projects are given through contacts, network
    Poor values - Too political
    Unfair employee rating and reward: based on politics

Advice to Management

Lead by Example
    Apply PMI theoretical key behaviors, key values
    Stop hiring or promoting employees family members or 'friends'

May 23, 2017

Hi there, thanks for sharing your experience on our Glassdoor page. We’re sorry that you’ve had a negative experience with us. It’s true that we are a company that encourages our people to seize ... More

6. "Excellent company to work for!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with! Excellent benefits, salaries! Flexibility if needed! Offers plenty diversity in jobs. True international environment. Pioneer in innovation!

Cons

Honestly, nothing! That means that I can not easily fill up your 20 words requirement Glassdoor! OK, so maybe it's a golden cage.. Difficult to leave ;)

Advice to Management

Empower more!

May 23, 2017

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review on our Glassdoor page. It’s great to see what you think about working with us! It seems that you’ve had a positive experience, which we’re ... More

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Lausanne (Switzerland)

Pros

Salary. Real international company. Smart people.

Cons

Nepotism. Too political.
    Worst of all: confused use of the word "entrepreneurship": if someone offers you a project that is "very challenging", that is "totally new", that needs "someone like you with entrepreneurial skills", run like hell. It just means you will thrown in deep waters without any support, abandoned and when/if the project will not deliver as expected (very often expectation are just dreams in this company) you will be thrown under the bus without a second thought.

Advice to Management

Make sure employees feel comfortable to accept daring and difficult projects. Create a true culture of "failing and learning" as preached in many internal communications.

May 23, 2017

Hello and thanks for leaving us a review. We’re sorry that you haven’t had a positive experience with us. The idea of #UnlimitYourself is to seize all opportunities. Our intention is not to create ... More

"Amazingly visionnary company, highly political"

Current Employee - Director in Lausanne (Switzerland)

Pros

Visionary and entrepreneurial company. Industry game changer. Can truly unlock resources when needed. Lot's of people development opportunities. Good/Fair compensation.

Cons

Overly political environment. Highly demanding (workload). More praising individualistic achievements than team achievements. Too much bureaucracy. Command and control to the lowest details. Lack of empowerment.

Advice to Management

Truly embrace the digital era and leverage experience from other industries. Praise learnings through failures. The ideation culture above successes creates an unhealthy atmosphere.

9. "Great employer with high performance expectations"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

Pros

My employment spanning over 25 years at PMI in different positions, functions and countries has been very fulfilling in terms of professional experience. More recently, the transformation towards Reduced Risk Products is creating new opportunities and challenges in areas quite different from the traditional, conventional cigarette business. The work environment in terms of people and geography is very diverse and thus very enriching and with RRP also diversifying into new fields. There is great focus on performance and personal development, wether in technical or people management roles. The company values employee engagement, fosters an environment of continuous improvement and work-life balance and provides resources and time for personal development.

Cons

The bar is set high for individual performance which is assessed against challenging objectives (the what) and a set of key behaviors (the how). To advance in grade level, my perception and to some extent experience is to have to exceed performance expectations year-after-year, requiring a high level of energy, engagement and perseverance to perform at the highest level and succeed all the time. An average performance rating is not enough and in this regard, a set-back for promotion. This creates considerable stress and fear of failure, to not meet these high expectations.

Advice to Management

Set and enforce clear guidelines for performance expectations and evaluations/ratings to be met for career advancement (grades/levels) especially for technical roles/ladder.

May 23, 2017

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your experiences on our Glassdoor page. Congratulations on your long and varied career with us! It’s good to see that you’re also excited about the future of our ... More

10. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly diverse and inclusive workplace, great benefits, offers plenty of cross functional job opportunities.

Cons

Sink or swim mentality, highly political environment, high resistance to change.

May 23, 2017

Hi there, thanks for leaving a review on our Glassdoor page. We’re glad you like the diversity and inclusiveness of our business. We believe it’s key to our success – allowing our people to be ... More

11. "A great company going through the most exciting time of its history!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lausanne (Switzerland)

Pros

PMI is a great company to work for, now even more then ever, when we are at the verge of transforming the industry and the lives of millions of smokers around the world. These are exciting times to work for a company that it's turning itself upside down, where your voice is heard, where you can contribute and make a difference regardless where you are in the company, function, geography or level. PMI is results driven, dynamic, takes people development seriously and offers great opportunities to have the career you would like to.

Cons

Change and transformation doesn't come without ambiguity, uncertainty and the occasional chaos. Change also comes with paradox and unconformity, you might need to jump between a very structured environment to one without guidelines or direction and be able to navigate smoothly in both depending on the circumstances. If you don't feel comfortable in that type of environment, then PMI is not for you.

Advice to Management

Especially in the current environment make sure you dedicate enough time to talk to all employees about our direction and transformation, and to truly promote and reward collaboration and experimentation.