Philips Lighting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Eric Rondolat

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance at this company is amazing, with the ability to work up to about 3 days from home per week (in 42 reviews)

• Great working environment; Flexible working schedules; Easy-going directors (in 23 reviews)

1. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Program Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work and great opportunity to learn

Cons

Work life balance needs more balance

2. "A company that needs cultural change"

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment, good pay

Cons

Lack of process that works.

Advice to Management

Care more to the employee

3. "Lighting Design Consultant"

Former Employee - Lighting Design Consultant in The Colony, TX
    Former Employee - Lighting Design Consultant in The Colony, TX

I worked at Philips Lighting part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful work space and very nice coworkers.

Cons

. The traditioned to a new system and it was difficult.

Nov 27, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We value your feedback.

"Philips review"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Has a decent benefits package

Cons

Lacks insight for the future of lighting

Nov 27, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate the feedback.

5. "Talent Acquisition Consultant"

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time

Pros

Great products and exciting technology that helps get people excited about exploring opportunities. The office and people in Burlington are very positive.

Open floors throughout office, a game room, a gym and access to a cafe in the building. They provide free tea, coffee, snacks and fresh fruit twice a week.

As a recruiter, the TA team provides the best tools to work with and that makes a big difference. They truly invested in recruiting and this will pay off in the long run.

Cons

Hiring managers can resist using tools, but coming around. Some candidates want the flexibility to work from home occasionally and not all teams have gotten there.

Nov 27, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Great review...thanks so much for sharing your experience working at Philips Lighting! We appreciate your feedback.

"Needs to invest in internal infrastructure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects that impact how people move through the world. Flexible work arrangements. Free snacks.

Cons

There’s no excuse for a global company to have such shoddy, unreliable IT infrastructure. It impacts the bottom line when people can’t do their work effectively or on time.

Advice to Management

Major upgrades to improve IT system performance, and more IT support staff.

Nov 27, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We want to assure you these reviews are taken seriously and I will pass along your thoughts to the necessary channels. If you have any other... More

"Company Assessment"

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time

Pros

Colleagues were wonderful. I met several amazing people working at Philips. I also enjoyed the systems which were used in HR. Benefits and pay were very good as well.

Cons

Management gave too much of a workload to too small a group of employees and expected the quality of work to not suffer. Training for new projects and tasks was not sufficient.

Advice to Management

Improvement with training is very much needed. Additionally, it should be understood that dumping a great deal of work on too few people leads to stressful situations. Productivity and overall team morale suffers. Attitudes of management were not always fair or positive.

Oct 10, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Hello and thanks for taking the time to write this review. We make extensive investments in our Philips Lighting University and other resources that support professional and personal growth. I see... More

8. "Group leader 2. Good"

Pros

Working with children, different activities, children have fun, group leader share the work, team players. Room for growth, workers compensation, 401k.

Cons

It is Part time, no benefits, no summer or time paid when schools out, a lot of work for little pay

Advice to Management

Raise the salary and add some benefits, we too deserve to be cared for.

Nov 27, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your experience working at Philips Lighting. We value your feedback and encourage you to discuss any issues directly with your manager.

"Disconnected, Obtuse, and Bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries and benefits.

Excellent products and solutions.

Product innovation market leader.

If you are hired with very little experience, you will learn a lot quickly because you will be thrown into the deep end of the pool which will force you to learn and gain valuable experience. Good place to build experience for your resume to move to your next company, and many do just that.

Before considering joining Philips, I would recommend talking to some of their reps/agents, distributors, or other construction professionals on what it is like to work with Philips. This will set the proper level of expectations, and provide you with insights on the real challenges that lie ahead.

Cons

Philips has sent a directive to all current employees that dictates that under no circumstances can a current employee be a professional reference for any former employee. If a current employee provides a reference for a former employee, that employee could be disciplined. What kind of message does this send to current and future employees?

High turnover in employees / leadership. Layers and layers of indecisive management who look to find others to blame when something doesn't go exactly as planned. Interdepartmental and intradepartmental communication is very limited; expect finger pointing and delays. Talent is leaving the payrolls for other opportunities outside of the company.

Published company values look great on a poster, but have no real meaning in day to day activities.

Not too interested in "real" solutions, but doing things the "Philips Way". As great as Philips is at product innovation, Philips struggles with internal change, engaging to meet the needs of channel partners and customers, and doing the RIGHT things to be successful. Real customer needs are often ignored.

Very limited resources and budget. Everyone is expected to do everything with little help from others. There is no admin support except for the most senior executive level.

A series of RIFs have plummeted moral, and there is no clear vision on how "things" are going to turn around.

Technically this is Philips, but is no longer a part of Royal Philips which spun off this business from its portfolio in 2016. Philips Lighting is a stand alone company - neither good or bad, but not associated with the commercials that you see on TV.

Advice to Management

Existing internal barriers and obstacles are keeping this company from truly being great. This is a People & Process problem which has destroyed value from all of the acquisitions that have been made in the past. Lead, take risk, and find the right people who can take you to where you should be. What made you successful in the past will not make you successful tomorrow. Innovate yourself internally and look at the people and attitudes that are holding you back.

Nov 27, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for your candor and for sharing your thoughts on working at Philips Lighting. We take all feedback posted into consideration. We also encourage employees to have regular check-ins with... More

"Finance Director"

Former Employee - Director in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progressive, forward thinking. Decent benefits.

Cons

Foreign owned so Dutch culture is warped by US standards. No sense of recognizing value in employees and for some reason, they inaccurately reward ineptitude.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see who brings value to your company and who does NOT.

Nov 27, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for your contribution. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.