Philips Lighting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Eric Rondolat

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance at this company is amazing, with the ability to work up to about 3 days from home per week (in 40 reviews)

• Good working environment and great guidance (in 22 reviews)

Cons

1. "Group leader 2. Good"

Pros

Working with children, different activities, children have fun, group leader share the work, team players. Room for growth, workers compensation, 401k.

Cons

It is Part time, no benefits, no summer or time paid when schools out, a lot of work for little pay

Advice to Management

Raise the salary and add some benefits, we too deserve to be cared for.

2. "Company Assessment"

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time

Pros

Colleagues were wonderful. I met several amazing people working at Philips. I also enjoyed the systems which were used in HR. Benefits and pay were very good as well.

Cons

Management gave too much of a workload to too small a group of employees and expected the quality of work to not suffer. Training for new projects and tasks was not sufficient.

Advice to Management

Improvement with training is very much needed. Additionally, it should be understood that dumping a great deal of work on too few people leads to stressful situations. Productivity and overall team morale suffers. Attitudes of management were not always fair or positive.

Oct 10, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your experience working at Philips Lighting. We take all comments into consideration and value your feedback.

"Disconnected, Obtuse, and Bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries and benefits.

Excellent products and solutions.

Product innovation market leader.

If you are hired with very little experience, you will learn a lot quickly because you will be thrown into the deep end of the pool which will force you to learn and gain valuable experience. Good place to build experience for your resume to move to your next company, and many do just that.

Before considering joining Philips, I would recommend talking to some of their reps/agents, distributors, or other construction professionals on what it is like to work with Philips. This will set the proper level of expectations, and provide you with insights on the real challenges that lie ahead.

Cons

Philips has sent a directive to all current employees that dictates that under no circumstances can a current employee be a professional reference for any former employee. If a current employee provides a reference for a former employee, that employee could be disciplined. What kind of message does this send to current and future employees?

High turnover in employees / leadership. Layers and layers of indecisive management who look to find others to blame when something doesn't go exactly as planned. Interdepartmental and intradepartmental communication is very limited; expect finger pointing and delays. Talent is leaving the payrolls for other opportunities outside of the company.

Published company values look great on a poster, but have no real meaning in day to day activities.

Not too interested in "real" solutions, but doing things the "Philips Way". As great as Philips is at product innovation, Philips struggles with internal change, engaging to meet the needs of channel partners and customers, and doing the RIGHT things to be successful. Real customer needs are often ignored.

Very limited resources and budget. Everyone is expected to do everything with little help from others. There is no admin support except for the most senior executive level.

A series of RIFs have plummeted moral, and there is no clear vision on how "things" are going to turn around.

Technically this is Philips, but is no longer a part of Royal Philips which spun off this business from its portfolio in 2016. Philips Lighting is a stand alone company - neither good or bad, but not associated with the commercials that you see on TV.

Advice to Management

Existing internal barriers and obstacles are keeping this company from truly being great. This is a People & Process problem which has destroyed value from all of the acquisitions that have been made in the past. Lead, take risk, and find the right people who can take you to where you should be. What made you successful in the past will not make you successful tomorrow. Innovate yourself internally and look at the people and attitudes that are holding you back.

"Finance Director"

Former Employee - Director in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progressive, forward thinking. Decent benefits.

Cons

Foreign owned so Dutch culture is warped by US standards. No sense of recognizing value in employees and for some reason, they inaccurately reward ineptitude.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see who brings value to your company and who does NOT.

5. "High pressure , bad experience"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary, nice peers, good cadence

Cons

too much pressure very little room for error

Advice to Management

ease up the pace and tolerance

Aug 2, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

"Procurement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the majority of the employees are respectful.....

Cons

Some people let titles (grades/levels) go to their heads, they talk down to other employees- treat them like they are inferior to them- HR and or their managers did nothing to stop it, kind it made me feel like it was my fault- so I took the 1st job I was offered (not a smart decision but that's how desperate I was) and left.

Advice to Management

Too many clicks, if you weren't in with the right one.... you were not going to move up. Management really needs to keep an eye on middle management, see how the treat their employees. You'll see that's why your loosing employees to other organizations.

Aug 2, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

7. "Senior Quotations Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Quotations Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Quotations Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in. Training is great. Days go by quickly as you are constantly challenged. Overall an awesome place to work.

Cons

I really do not have any cons about Philips Lighting. My position is being eliminated. Overall a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I have really enjoyed working there for 7 years. I was hopeful to remain a Philips employee. Great Company!

Jun 8, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Great review...thanks so much for sharing your experience working at Philips Lighting! We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your dedication.

"Great Workplace with Passion for Innovation"

Current Employee - Marketing in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progressive company that is transforming the lighting industry. European culture with flexible work environment, solid benefits and competitive salary. To succeed, have to be ambitious and able to take ownership immediately with role.

Cons

No complaints, a lot of changes trying to make the company better, always looking for ways to improve the business.

May 4, 2016 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your dedication to Philips Lighting.

"Positive experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly innovative products, collaborative culture, flexible in work hours and working from home

Cons

Some functions & teams lack processes and capabilities/competencies due to cost cutting and re-organization.

10. "Company in change"

Pros

Great place to learn but too much change for long term job stability. Good people to work with but direction changes a lot.

Cons

This company is going through tremendous change. They ask you to put in many many hours

Jun 8, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We want to assure you these comments are taken seriously . We want all employees to experience a healthy work life balance, an important part of... More