Philips Lighting Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Eric Rondolat

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is terrible; too many changes with unclear implementation plan (in 7 reviews)

• Little to no continuing education for engineers within workplace without going back to school while working (in 4 reviews)

1. "FP&A Analyst"

Former Employee - FP&A Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - FP&A Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, many learning and development apportunities. Company strived to recognize good employees on their performance. Good performance review process​.

Cons

Sink or swim mentality, can be long hours for finance. Working with outsourced finance team can be very difficult due if not on SAP.

2. "HR Advisor"

Former Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Andover, MA

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company requires constant change, learning, and employees must show a desire to challenge themselves. Growth and innovation are key within this organization. There are excellent employees at this company.

Cons

In an effort to save on costs, management tends to not see a need to backfill positions when employees are terminated. This leads to a great deal of stress amongst the rest of the workers.

Advice to Management

Provide adequate compensation for the additional work that is delegated to employees. Often, projects and work assignments are expected which were not originally part of an employee's role or position.

"Great Workplace with Passion for Innovation"

Current Employee - Marketing in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progressive company that is transforming the lighting industry. European culture with flexible work environment, solid benefits and competitive salary. To succeed, have to be ambitious and able to take ownership immediately with role.

Cons

No complaints, a lot of changes trying to make the company better, always looking for ways to improve the business.

May 4, 2016 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your dedication to Philips Lighting.

5. "New Leadership Team from Company wide split, processes undefined"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in North Andover, MA

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Industry wide leader, great products, reputation for innovation and creativity in a global marketplace

Cons

Back-office functions, accounting and finance still affected by the decision to split the HT business from the LI business in early 2016. Many people left the company as a result.

Advice to Management

Bring in people with many years of experience to run the company which should help to stop running as a start up.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Global Platform Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Global Platform Manager in Burlington, MA

Pros

Cutting edge LED technology, innovative, good teams

Cons

Huge company, tough to understand the overall structure and paths required to get things done

Advice to Management

Seriously need orientation material and classes

Feb 28, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

We appreciate the time you took to post a review. Please note that we take all feedback into consideration. Our new employee onboarding process is currently being revamped. We hope to have a ... More

7. "Accounting"

Current Employee - Accounting in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Andover, MA

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours
    Work from Home
    Great colleagues
    Good benefits
    European culture, so management is open to new ideas
    Worldwide relocation opportunities
    State of the art workplace

Cons

Few holidays
    Relatively lower salary range
    Average employee discounts

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job

Feb 28, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your dedication.

8. "Flexible work environment but limited career growth for mid-managers"

Current Employee - Senior Product En Marketing Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Product En Marketing Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, workplace flexibility, and great people. Most people are driven and want results. Not a ton of red tape with reasonable management.

Cons

No process or structure, flat organization without clear succession planning or personal development. Not enough entry level people for tactical execution.

Advice to Management

Remove flat organization and add career paths. Higher more entry level people for tactical day to day.

Jan 12, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We value your feedback.

"Don't believe the hype. HR has asked employees to post positive reviews on Glassdoor"

Current Employee - Analyst in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful, open office. Nice environment, with flexible work scheduling. Good benefits and a great brand name. Product line definitely stands above the competition.

Cons

Lights and LEDs are becoming commoditized. Insane pressure from competitors but org can't adapt quickly enough.

Utterly confusing for new people to the org. Not a lot of training when it comes to products (or jobs) for that matter. Support from IT to get all the system access you need to on day 1 of starting isn't always there. Poor (none) development opportunities for entry and mid-level roles.

There's a tendency to look at short term gains and a backwards KPI driven culture that's a little too focused on numbers and not long term strategy.

Folks in entry and mid level jobs tend to leave, either because of substandard pay, lack of development opportunities, their managers not listening to their concerns (managers don't ask you "how can I make your job better?" Or "what is your workflow look like?", or some combination of the above.

Managers new to the company are often left not understanding what or who they manage, and don't do a good job of ensuring employee development, as they often are tasked and task others to run a marathon at a sprint pace with nothing but a pair of flip flops to work with.

Tools and processes are put in place without the consultation of stakeholders at times, which is simultaneously insulting and confusing.

I don't know any young people left at the Somerset site that has stayed more than 3 years, they don't see much upside and a lot of legacy philips employees want to retire early, leaving managers to sail a ship with no sailors.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your subordinates, and just ask them how they can make their work streams better. Please stop focusing on metrics all the time and instead invest in infrastructure, employee education, and better tools and processes to get the job done. Lastly, you make lightbulbs, please stop treating it like you work on wall street and need to work past 6:30 at night. The salary and the business does not justify that. Period.

Jan 12, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for your candor and for sharing your thoughts on working at Philips Lighting. We encourage all of our employees to write a review about their experiences so that potential candidates can ... More

10. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment in here.

Cons

Developments needs to be added.

Advice to Management

Be more motivate to develop products .

Jan 12, 2017 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Nice to hear our employees recommend Philips Lighting as a great place to work!

11. "Philips Lighting North America"

Current Employee - Market Development Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Market Development Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Philips is an international company that manufactures high quality lighting products and hires hard working lighting specialists to support the brand.

Cons

Lighting is an extremely competitive market at this time and many start up companies are coming in with low price low quality products. Philips is positioned well with high quality products that will stand the test of time.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing to improve product excellence and availability. As we strive to take care of our customers in an professional manner with top notch quality lighting, our brand confidence and sales will continue to grow.

Nov 22, 2016 – Manager, Employer Brand & Recruitment Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review about your experience working at Philips Lighting. We appreciate your positivity, enthusiasm and dedication in helping us continue to be a ... More